6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Wire loom, warnings and guages

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 10:26 AM
LabCab
Laughing Gas
Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts
Wire loom, warnings and guages

Yesterday I left Cabelas and started my truck, alarm chimes went off, it told me it was overheated, low fuel pressure and advance track needed service, the mileage was all dashes. I shut it off and restarted it after pushing down the emergency brake and releasing it. The warnings went away, but the check engine light was light. I am 400 miles away from our new home, moving and signing closing papers so I called and took it to Kendall Ford. They got me in without an appointment and determined that there were 2 issues. They said the check engine light needed a software update to fix and that my wire loom had a connection issue. They could do a temporary fix, or permanent fix. The permanent fix would require me to give them the truck for a day, they will bypass the bad wire loom and install a new wires through the firewall with heat shrink, ect..... It is not covered since I don't have an extended warranty, though I do have Geico MBI. The software update is covered by warranty. So I will be out about $600 to get back on the road. I will contact Ford Customer Service when I get home to discuss why a known issue is not covered when it really is an engineering/design flaw.....
Right now I am just happy it didn't happen while on the road in the middle of BFE.....
I remember reading of others that have had this issue.

Old 05-03-2018, 11:01 AM
cjssr
Mountain Pass
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by LabCab
Yesterday I left Cabelas and started my truck, alarm chimes went off, it told me it was overheated, low fuel pressure and advance track needed service, the mileage was all dashes. I shut it off and restarted it after pushing down the emergency brake and releasing it. The warnings went away, but the check engine light was light. I am 400 miles away from our new home, moving and signing closing papers so I called and took it to Kendall Ford. They got me in without an appointment and determined that there were 2 issues. They said the check engine light needed a software update to fix and that my wire loom had a connection issue. They could do a temporary fix, or permanent fix. The permanent fix would require me to give them the truck for a day, they will bypass the bad wire loom and install a new wires through the firewall with heat shrink, ect..... It is not covered since I don't have an extended warranty, though I do have Geico MBI. The software update is covered by warranty. So I will be out about $600 to get back on the road. I will contact Ford Customer Service when I get home to discuss why a known issue is not covered when it really is an engineering/design flaw.....
Right now I am just happy it didn't happen while on the road in the middle of BFE.....
I remember reading of others that have had this issue.
I would have them check the connector that sits above the parking brake as many have had it get loose and everything goes haywire. It should be able to be plugged back in securely. I think the parking brake jars it when the brake is released!

Old 05-03-2018, 11:19 AM
LabCab
Laughing Gas
Thanks, that was the first thing I looked at. Just wanted to make sure prior to hitting the road again tonight....
The Tech said he has seen this before and knew the best way to fix it.
This is a large shop, so hopefully it is fixed for the long haul.

Old 05-03-2018, 11:57 AM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts
Pat, I wouldn't spend the $600 or leave my truck behind. Having lived with this issue for a few years now, and knowing exactly how to correct it (at least for a few months at a time), it is a nuisance, but really not a big deal at all. Glad you weren't stranded, and congrats on the closing. Stay safe on the move!

Old 05-04-2018, 11:24 AM
LabCab
Laughing Gas
Doug,
Thanks for the input. I did have them fix it and it cost a little over $400. They had it ready for us to pick up prior to our closing appointment, we were able to get back on the road, pick up the hounds and get back home to Sequim yesterday.
It became a peace of mind thing for my wife and I. I was even able to stay away from the long line of new trucks, because I love my current truck. I had a Toyota Tacoma loaner with the 4cyl and 4wheel drive. What a underpowered rig.....
Now to get everything switched over to Washington as our retirement home is being built!
Life is good!
Pat

Old 05-13-2018, 02:34 AM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts
Pat, glad they got you fixed up. Enjoy retirement!