General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

"Fake" websites stealing FTE data?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 07:56 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 70 Likes on 69 Posts
I do a lot of internet forum and website searches for repair and maintenance subjects. I've noticed there are some that are obviously run through some sort of translater and spit back out, and aren't "real" websites. For what purpose I'm not sure. Nothing good, probably. They capture forum posts. Here's one from user "SeaCarr", it is in fact an FTE thread from the Y Block section. WTF??

Name:  photo18.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  304.7 KB

Old 04-28-2018, 08:03 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 70 Likes on 69 Posts
Here's an example of the sentence structure on another, different "fake" website. Nobody talks this way in real life. Notice the use of "many" where the original post or article would obviously have used "most" and other strange or awkward phrases. Definitely has that "Bite the wax tadpole" odor.

"To keep up accurate valve operation at ordinary engine speeds, all the valve springs have to exert a certain level of spring strain. In many stock engines, the stress exerted with the valve springs if the valves are totally closed or seated is all around 70 to 90 pounds. If the valves are pushed many of the way open through the valvetrain, the stress exerted through the springs might go as substantial as 200 pounds or more. In large effectiveness racing engines, incredibly stiff valve springs are typically made use of so the engine can rev greater without the need of the valves floating. Closed spring pressures may well range between 200 to 3oo pounds, and open pressures as substantial as 1000 pounds or greater!"

Old 04-29-2018, 08:15 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,271 Likes on 2,275 Posts
i will pass this up the line to IB staff.
thanks!!

Old 04-30-2018, 07:56 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 306 Likes on 157 Posts
I've seen this before, but not specific to FTE. The wonders of the computer age.

Old 04-30-2018, 11:15 AM
IB Jose
Internet Brands
Received 50 Likes on 26 Posts
They're basically scraping what already exists here that's publicly visible.

I wouldn't be too too worried, but it would be great if you could send me the actual URL. ford-ford dot com doesn't seem to work for me here.

Old 05-01-2018, 12:13 AM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Tedster9
Here's an example of the sentence structure on another, different "fake" website. Nobody talks this way in real life. Notice the use of "many" where the original post or article would obviously have used "most" and other strange or awkward phrases. Definitely has that "Bite the wax tadpole" odor.
"In large effectiveness racing engines" HA!!!!!!! How funny!!!!

This happened some years back and users noticed then, too. That site got shut down after FoMoCo Corporate got a hold of it, copyright violations.

You could submit the site to Ford Corporate and they should be able to shut it down, but IB won't be able to do anything because it's hosted offshore (in Hong Kong).
Online:www.fordbrandlicensing.com

Address:Ford Motor Company,Global Brand Licensing Office,
16800 Executive Plaza Drive, Suite N203,
Dearborn, MI 48126

Here is the whois info on ford-ford.com:

https://www.godaddy.com/whois/result...isc=gofd1001aj