Wiring Gurus please... - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Wiring Gurus please...

Old 04-16-2018, 03:22 PM
resonateur
Elder User
resonateur is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.resonateur is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Wiring Gurus please...

Working on salvaging my '66 main loom and fortunately I have a 65 loom to rob from and splice in the damaged sections. I'm trying to identify every connection and I can't seem to find this one in the wiring diagrams. There's two sections to the main under dash loom, one of which exits the firewall into the engine compartment. Through the firewall there's a green/w/red tracer wire that is cut and goes nowhere in the engine compartment. I'm assuming it was for some accessory that this truck never had. It goes to this double male/female plug under the dash (shown). The female end of both looms I have was not connected to anything. The male end goes to a blue/w/

red tracer wire just over the light switch connector, which is the indicator light circuit. Can I assume, that I can eliminate this wire as it seems to have no purpose? As always, I appreciate the expertise on this forum, which has gotten me this close to completing my project!!

Old 04-16-2018, 09:30 PM
gcooter
Junior User
gcooter is starting off with a positive reputation.

I don't see a green wire with the red tracer in this diagram. I changed alternator types and on the newer alternators the green wire with the red tracer runs from the internal regulator on the alternator to the idiot light or amp gauge in the dash.

Old 04-17-2018, 04:17 AM
Crop Duster
Elder User
Crop Duster is starting off with a positive reputation.
The Green/Red in the oil/alt harness,( C5TA-10A665-C ) was cut off in both of the harness's I took apart. I suspect as you do that it was for something in a much larger truck. I removed it when I re-taped the harness.
I do not see this red tracer wire you speak of but if it the red/yellow tracer under your thumb, it's for the dimmer switch and if it is the one with blue tape on it, that one I believe is for rear lights, which I assumed to be marker lights on a camper. It's useful for other things keep it.

Old 04-17-2018, 04:22 AM
David7.3
The Lost One
David7.3 is a splendid one to beholdDavid7.3 is a splendid one to beholdDavid7.3 is a splendid one to beholdDavid7.3 is a splendid one to beholdDavid7.3 is a splendid one to beholdDavid7.3 is a splendid one to beholdDavid7.3 is a splendid one to behold
You can use it for , aux. wiring up to running lights or cab lights, it would be a nice addition put since it doesnt dim, I wouldnt use it for gauges or something of that nature.

Old 04-17-2018, 09:50 AM
resonateur
Elder User
resonateur is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.resonateur is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
All:
Thanks for your help!! Yes, I was going to keep the indicator light wire for the purposes such as you suggested. The red tracer is really hard to see as the green wire has become so dark with age. The dimmer switch wiring is intact. As CropDuster suggested, and I assumed, the "wire to nowhere" is going away.
Thanks again....

Old 04-17-2018, 02:59 PM
Fords & Whalers
Senior User
Fords & Whalers is starting off with a positive reputation.
I recently purchased the same wiring harness (C5TA-10A665-C) for the optional oil/alt gauges I installed on my 1965 F100 dash panel, and the green/red wire was also nipped off on the engine side of the rubber firewall grommet . Quick favor, can you send a photo (or description) of the location of the hole for the rubber firewall grommet? I have to drill this in my firewall since I'm adding the gauges and wiring harness myself and want to make sure it's in the correct location.

Old 04-17-2018, 10:35 PM
resonateur
Elder User
Fords...here you go. The hole is .85" inside diameter, with the edge rolled in towards the inside of the firewall.

Old Yesterday, 12:26 PM
Fords & Whalers
Senior User
Fords & Whalers is starting off with a positive reputation.
Excellent photo and description, thank you!

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.