Sticky Paint after washing - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sticky Paint after washing

Old 04-15-2018, 05:12 PM
jrwinger
Freshman User
jrwinger is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sticky Paint after washing

Maybe I'm crazy, but after I was my truck, do a quick drive to blow off the excess water I towel dry the windows & body. My towels literally stick to the truck (i've tried every towel possible, micro fibre, cotton, etc). There will actually be lint from the towels stuck to the paint & windows.

Is this normal? I've never had this problem after washing a vehicle & I have not changed my wash procedure with the new rig.

Do these trucks need a good waxing right off the bat?

Do they come with some type of protective coating that needs to be removed from the factory?

I'm a little confused & annoyed that I can't towel dry my truck

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-15-2018, 05:50 PM
blueglide
Junior User
blueglide is starting off with a positive reputation.
Clay a small area and see if that helps. Truck may have picked up some air borne contaminants prior to delivery.

Old 04-15-2018, 06:31 PM
Jlepper
New User
Jlepper is starting off with a positive reputation.
My dealer told me there was a coating put on at the factory to protect the paint from rail dust and that they use a chemical wash to remove it. Perhaps your dealer missed some spots or didnít do it at all. Paint on mine was perfect. Although I did do a dealer and wax right away.

Old 04-16-2018, 09:09 AM
jimbonnet
Freshman User
jimbonnet is starting off with a positive reputation.
Funny you should mention this... I've had 3 new Ford vehicles since 2015. The 2015 F150 and 2015 C-MAX BOTH had some sticky crud on them that took some elbow grease to get off. We just purchased a 2018 Escape and he too has this same issue. The first couple washes are pretty difficult. I assume that a clay treatment and wax would get it cleared up. I assume my F450 thats on order will have the same issue as well. We will find out I guess.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:17 AM
wildcard30
Posting Guru
wildcard30 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Had it in my 17 also. The dealer did a good job of getting most of it off. I was really bad on the roof where it curves at the bottom of the raised sections. I had to claybar it to get all of it off.

Old 04-16-2018, 11:12 PM
jrwinger
Freshman User
Glad to hear I'm not going crazy. I'm going to try and clay a section this week & see if that knocks it down.

Anyone have recommendations for the windows? 0000 steel wool OK to try? Don't want to scratch anything, but the sticky crap is on the windows too!!

Thanks Y'all!

Old 04-17-2018, 12:13 AM
hobbie1
New User
hobbie1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by jrwinger View Post
Glad to hear I'm not going crazy. I'm going to try and clay a section this week & see if that knocks it down.

Anyone have recommendations for the windows? 0000 steel wool OK to try? Don't want to scratch anything, but the sticky crap is on the windows too!!

Thanks Y'all!
Yup - it was on both my F250 and Shelby GT 350 windows. I used clay bar on the out side of the windows and the Mr. Clean stick on the inside. I will be doing a full detail on the truck once the weather warms up.

Old 04-17-2018, 12:27 AM
jrwinger
Freshman User
so are the dealers supposed to chemically remove this protective layer? The exterior prep of my truck was less than stellar, so it wouldn't surprise me if they skipped this step.

Old 04-17-2018, 09:20 AM
wildcard30
Posting Guru
wildcard30 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I would think so. But Iím sure it varies from dealer to dealer. I always clay bar my new vehicles once I get them home.

Old Yesterday, 07:40 PM
jrwinger
Freshman User
Little update:

Today I washed the truck & then did a test section of clay bar & wax. 100% this truck needs to be clayed & waxed. Don't know what ford puts on them to protect them (or what the dealer didn't remove) but after todays test, I'm 100% confident there's some kind of junk on the paint.

I got through about 1/3 of the truck today & then will clay & wax the rest this week as I have time (Dang these trucks are BIG!). Anyways, anyone who has the sticky paint syndrome, just give her a good detail!

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.