6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

High Pressure Oil Pump question

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 10:42 AM
leslie1963
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy High Pressure Oil Pump question

Can someone tell me approximately how long it takes to remove the cab to work on the engine? We are having to have the High Pressure Oil Pump replaced and our warranty company is saying that this entire process should only take 5 hours. That sounds unreal to me! Please advise!

Old 04-13-2018, 10:51 AM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Not sure about flat rate but a good tech can have the cab off in under three hours, that said I don't know why the warranty outfit claims the cab has to be removed.
And not sure 5 hours is going to cut it, but then surprise........it's an aftermarket warranty company.

Old 04-13-2018, 11:09 AM
leslie1963
New User
This is our first diesel but def not our first Ford. It will be our last aftermarket warranty though! My husband has always done all the work on his trucks. Good to know the cab might not have to come off. They charged 6 hours of labor just to diagnose. Thanks for the reply Mike!

Old 04-13-2018, 11:10 AM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts
if all theyre doing is replacing the HPOP they shouldnt have to remove the cab. but does take some time to remove the cab and put it back on. if its still the factory setup (as in someone hasnt done alot of mods) you could probably do it yourself in 5-6 hrs depending on how well you know your way around the engine. remove the turbo, and sometimes the intake manifold depending on the year and style and your right there at the pump. just have to remove the cover replace the pump and reassemble.

Old 04-13-2018, 11:17 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
What year is the truck... 05-07 may not need a new pump!

Old 04-13-2018, 11:27 AM
530ktmpilot
Senior User
As said above, pre 05, the pumps weren’t as reliable. In 05 they changed the pump design which essentially fixed the reliability issue. In doing that, they redesigned some of,the HP connectors which caused a few other problems that manifest as low psi in the HP oil system BUT aren’t caused by the pump. There is an STC fitting (snap to connect), stand pipe, and dummy plugs that commonly fail causing low pressure via leakage. Ford (international) released redesigned parts for each of these to fix the problem. All these parts need to be installed in order to make it reliable (e.g. just fixing a one leaking standpipe will have you back in the motor again when the other parts that weren’t replaced fail). Sometimes these warranty companies only want to pay to fix the immediate problem so be aware.

If it’s an 04 or earlier it’s probably the pump. 05 and laters rarely have pump failures. If they are trying to change the pump on an 05, than you probably need to find a shop that is more skilled at working on these engines since it’s likely misdiagnosed. Also IIRC the entire cab removal and reinstall takes around 4.5 hours per flat rate manual. I haven’t neard of anyone removing cab to replace the pump though. If it’s an 05 or later model, buy an egr delete kit or BPD egr cooler to have them install it out while apart as the later model coolers are prone to leakage and there shouldn't be any additional cost to change it out while everythings apart.

Old 04-13-2018, 01:01 PM
leslie1963
New User
It is a 2006 - we really appreciate all the replies. We'll probably dump the warranty after this and my husband will do the work himself. So much great information here!

Old 04-13-2018, 01:09 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Go buy the STC fitting, stand pipes and dummy plugs and do it yourself.
the 05-07 pumps are so good, shops that know.... Buy them to put in trucks because of mis-diagnosis!

ask if they did a pressure reading and then ask if they checked on any updates that model year may have needed and then tell them to read up!
I would not let them pull the cab and possible not even touch the truck. Then ask for your money back for diagnosis... a simple test of the high pressure system with air and a live reading of the ICP sensor would have found that issue.... 30 minutes tops!

Old 04-14-2018, 03:42 PM
SmackDaddy
Postmaster
Received 234 Likes on 161 Posts
Cab off for a HPOP replacement? I can replace one by my self with a few hand tools in my driveway in about 2 hours or less.

Old 04-14-2018, 04:40 PM
DarkStarMedia
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's most likelynot the hpop.... Likely a bad diag. They very rarely go out. Where about are you? There may be a local that can point you to a shop that knows what they are doing.

Richard

EDT: if they are going to do the hpop anyway, try to keep the old one... It will be a good spare.

Old 04-14-2018, 06:53 PM
watatrp
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had my hpop replaced last fall at a diesel shop. Cost me $1600 and they did not remove the cab. I know very little about the internal workings of the hpop. They told me some sort of shaft broke on it.

Old 04-14-2018, 07:06 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,731 Posts
I think I would have asked to see it or even requested to have the old one!

Old 04-14-2018, 08:33 PM
watatrp
Junior User
Originally Posted by bismic
I think I would have asked to see it or even request to have the old one!
Bismic-if the comment was for me, they did have the parts all laid out for me to inspect.

Old 04-14-2018, 08:43 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,731 Posts
Originally Posted by watatrp
Bismic-if the comment was for me, they did have the parts all laid out for me to inspect.
The post was for you, but applicable to the OP as well! I certainly didn't mean to assume you didn't ask or they didn't show you, but the failure of an 06 pump is not common (as DarkStarMedia posted) and I am skeptical when I see the diagnosis. It would have been interesting to have another shop confirm (again as DarkStarMedia posted).

Did you actually confirm a broken shaft?

Your earlier post seemed to indicate that you did not or could not verify that this was actually the case.

"I know very little about the internal workings of the hpop. They told me some sort of shaft broke on it"
It very well could have been a mistaken assumption on my part, but I think many shops push the ethics limit with the 6.0L because of its "reputation". The old addage "trust but verify" is unfortunately very applicable w/ 6.0L shop repair.

Old 04-14-2018, 09:21 PM
watatrp
Junior User
Bismic-I did a little research when it happened. The shop that fixed it specializes in 6.0's. Even they were surprised that the shaft broke. That's why they saved if for me to see. I've got a little over 248k miles now. It broke while I was accelerating. The engine just shut off. I assume for no oil pressure. I thought maybe it was low on oil and added some but of course that did not work. They did check the pressures to diagnose before they dug into it. I think they said one of the readings was at 0 so indicated that it was not pumping at all. I probably would've tackled it myself but have a full time job and lawn service too so that was not an option. They even did an oil change since there might have been some metal parts that may have gotten into the oil. Have not had a problem with it since. I always appreciate your input since you know way more than I do about these engines.

Quick Reply: High Pressure Oil Pump question