6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

List of mods to be done.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 03:53 AM
hoseclamp
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
List of mods to be done.

Going to change a few things on my 450, wanted to share, maybe some of you have been here with some of them and can offer some advice on your experience.

Fuel system disaster prevention kit. Pretty straight forward, my ford diesel tech friends tell me good call on this mod.
Methanol stg 3. Kit from snow performance. I love methanol, had great results with some gasser toys in the past. Reduced EGT’s, some torque gains, reduced regens. Will have to be creative where the tank goes considering I can’t use the box.
Auxilary trans cooler, variable temp setting for the fan angagenent. In hot climbs, helping cool the trans can take some load off the truck since it’s tied to the coolant, maybe even aid in cooling water/glycol.
MPD oil cooler relocate kit. Get rid of plugging the stock cooler, which has happened three times between both duallys I’ve owned. Oil thermostat options are plentiful, thinking either a 200f, or the improved innovations stat that starts to open at 212-215f, and full open at 233f. Not sure yet which one to do.
No limit diesel intercooler. Better flow, reduced EGT’s again.
Adding a variable controlled fan to oil cooler.
Huge bypass oil filter, approx 4 quarts crankcase increase.
mishimoto 5f lower temp stat.
Emission friendly tuning from Calibrated Power, Edge monitoring and SOTF. Some awesome power gains but most importantly clean heavy towing tuning with improved power and my EB is intact.
Mishimoto has some fan controllers with a wide spread of engagement, 190-250f, I can target factory temp ranges, and use AC on triggers to manually engage fans for the engine oil, trans, or both to cool before primary fan engagement temps are reached. Try to create a cooling strategy that pulls the temps down before the primary cooling system. Using a sandwich adapter off the oil filter to supply and return an oil cooler leaves the factory coolers in place, this might actually help in cooling if my water jackets are finally clean (I’ve had a coolant filter in place for a year or so, the filters I’ve changed were full of sediment). I could also add oil pressure and temp gauges right off the adapter, more points of reference.

Thoughts on what I’m doing would be most appreciated, which is ultimately, to create a better cooling strategy and lower running temps that don’t have you dancing on primary fan engagement or possible defueling when you’re working your truck. I think these changes would make noticeable improvements, excluding the tuning. That’s just being greedy. If everything works, and tuning counters the improvements, well that will be removed. Thx for the time.

Old 04-01-2018, 06:58 AM
elee3
Fleet Mechanic
Received 229 Likes on 133 Posts
That’s one heck of a list. Have you had issues with the transmission heating up? On my previous 2012 and current 2016, I have been surprised at how cool the transmission stays even towing pretty good grades in the heat of the summer.

Old 04-01-2018, 09:43 AM
DeeDubz
More Turbo
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
I'll chime in too, My transmission stays pretty cool, so does the motor. I tends to heat up pulling hills but once the fan kicks on it cools down fast.

Old 04-01-2018, 11:48 AM
hoseclamp
Elder User
The trans temps have been good, it stays 195-203f consistently, and has come up to 215f on climbs only when pulling 12,000lbs or more at highway speeds (60-70mph), but I’ve pushed my max comfort zone with oil and coolant temps, defueling and +250f, but never overheating. I have warmer oil temps cruising at 70mph empty just from the 4.30 gears compared to my SRW trucks I’ve had with 3.55’s (oil temps empty much like the trans temps of 195-203f with 3.55’s, with 4.30’s 10-12f warmer in the same conditions). The main idea for better capacity with the trans, if it ever gets warm, I’m not taxing the existing system that IMO needs help.

Old 04-01-2018, 11:59 AM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Received 6,383 Likes on 4,639 Posts
Well, well, well... someone who thinks like me. I have only 22K+ on my truck and an extended warranty out to 125k. I love your OVERKILL outlook.
Going to change a few things on my 450, wanted to share, maybe some of you have been here with some of them and can offer some advice on your experience.

Fuel system disaster prevention kit. Pretty straight forward, my ford diesel tech friends tell me good call on this mod.

*From their site in case you didn't know and FYI for everyone else:

"Every kit now comes with a CARB compliant decal making this modification 100% street legal in all 50 States for 2011 - 2016 model year trucks. The kit also fits 2017 year trucks with CARB compliance pending. According to our understanding, Ford's position is that any modification that is CARB compliant will not void the manufacturer's warranty."

I like this idea and will probably do it sometime down the line especially with CARB exempt number now.

I also want to go with this FASS system which mounts behind the factory DFCM and retains that fuel filter. I just think it's a good idea to get all the air out of the agitated fuel before it goes to the injectors. Before someone chimes in and says that "the factory doesn't consider it a Problem, why should we?" I will say this, Yes, the truck will run without this system in it; yes the factory didn't deem it necessary to have; yes, I have an extended warranty; and finally, yes, I have an OVERKILL mentality. Oh, and Yes, it makes me feel fuzzy inside.

I use an additive called K100 at every fillup. It also has a lubricate in it, a cleaner and prevents gelling. Before anyone on here says it's an emulsifier, it's not. I don't work for them nor am I associated with them at all. I am a police officer who just believes in the product. It combines with the water and chemically breaks it down. You have to see it to believe it because the additive and water become one fluid. I have to address another thread here by making a video and showing how it works. I've made a few but don't like them. Better living through science and chemistry.

Methanol stg 3. Kit from snow performance. I love methanol, had great results with some gasser toys in the past. Reduced EGT’s, some torque gains, reduced regens. Will have to be creative where the tank goes considering I can’t use the box.

*I have recently been looking into this as well. From Snow's Site :

Snow Performance has combined performance, quality, and ease of installation in this new water-methanol injection kit designed for all Ford 7.3 / 6.0 / 6.4 / 6.7 Powerstroke owners who demand colder EGTs while towing heavy loads. The Diesel Stage 3 Boost Cooler utilizes a 2D mapped controller that commands injection based on boost pressure and EGTs (exhaust gas temperatures) to maintain extremely cold air inlet temperatures, 100-300 EGT decreases, decreased emissions, cleaner engine components, and increased fuel economy all while giving 65+ HP to help pull large hills with easy effort while towing. A must have for the diesel enthusiast that is concerned about the longevity of his truck that sees heavy towing. None invasive, the Diesel Stage 3 Boost Cooler® controller is designed to mount on the steering column or the dash so no drilling/marring of the interior needs to take place or additional gauge pods need to be purchased. Functions as a boost gauge, water-meth controller and EGT monitor all in one! Concerned about warranty? The Snow Performance Stage 3 does not leave a signature on the vehicle leaving your diesel truck with its warranty intact. 7 Gal Tank included for trip ready installation. Recommended for all daily driven Ford 7.3 / 6.0 / 6.4 / 6.7 Powerstrokes that see heavy towing where EGTs become dangerously high. Need a CARB E.O.# for your state? No problem! See part# SNO-50100 for 50-State legal system (C.A.R.B E.0.# D-723)

* I also want to put this into my truck as well. I messaged with a member here with a 6.4 PSD and he said that the mileage went up, EGTs went down 200 deg, engine stays wickedly clean and regens don't last long at all. He used an AEM system.

Auxilary trans cooler, variable temp setting for the fan angagenent. In hot climbs, helping cool the trans can take some load off the truck since it’s tied to the coolant, maybe even aid in cooling water/glycol.
MPD oil cooler relocate kit. Get rid of plugging the stock cooler, which has happened three times between both duallys I’ve owned. Oil thermostat options are plentiful, thinking either a 200f, or the improved innovations stat that starts to open at 212-215f, and full open at 233f. Not sure yet which one to do.
No limit diesel intercooler. Better flow, reduced EGT’s again.
Adding a variable controlled fan to oil cooler.

*I've seen the No Limit intercooler; great idea.

*You might want to look into this as an idea (Vent the hood):

This is the one I want to put on my hood closer to the rear of the hood. I would just mount the fluid nozzles on top of the Louver. I emailed with the owner back and forth. If you want, message me and I'll send you the emails. I sent him pics of my hood and he gave me other ideas as well but I like the big one on top; black with stainless rivets I think would look good. Give the heat a place to go. That way everything will run cooler.

I like to think outside the box.

Huge bypass oil filter, approx 4 quarts crankcase increase.

*This is the bypass filter I want to go with when I do it. At first, I liked the Extreme filter from Insane Diesel. But they don't talk about flow at all and after I read about the FS-2500, they had the specs right there. Nothing wrong with wanting more oil in the system, but there's also extended capacity oil pans out there. I like this one.

mishimoto 5f lower temp stat.
Emission friendly tuning from Calibrated Power, Edge monitoring and SOTF. Some awesome power gains but most importantly clean heavy towing tuning with improved power and my EB is intact

*There's also DP Tuner who only does DPF on tuning as well. I currently have a Banks iDash for a monitor and have had only problems with it since I got it. Customer support has been great but IMHO, I don't think they have a handle on the monitoring software for our 6.7s. I do like Edge's CTS2 monitor but it's PIDS list is limited;

Ambient Air Temp, Accel Pedal Position, Barometric Pressure, Battery Voltage, Corrected Speed, Dist. Between Regens, Dist. Since DTC Clear, Dist. Since Regen, DPF Pressure, DPF Soot Mass, DTC Count, EGT Post DPF, EGT Pre DPF, EGT Post Turbo, EGT Post SCR/Pre DPF, Engine Coolant Temp, Engine Load, Engine Oil Temp, Engine RPM, Engine Run Time, Fuel Level, Fuel Rate, Gear with Reverse, Gear with TCL, Intake Air Temp, Manifold Abs Pressure, Mileage Coach, MPG Instant, MPG Average, x PPM, Regeneration Status, Reductant (Urea) Level, Time 0-60, Time 1/4 mile, Torque, Torque Soleid Pressure, Trans Temp, Turbo Boost, Fuel Pressure, Exhaust Back Pressure, EGR Temperature, Fuel Injector Pulse Width, Fuel Injection Timing, Charge Air Temperature

The list of enhanced PIDS 2010+ for the DP-Tuner is here. The Infinity DX you can have at least 12 on the screen I've emailed the tech guy for DP-Tuning as well if you want the info in our email discussion. What I like about the DP Tuner Infinity DX is that it matches the factory gauges.

I also like how you can have a 9 and 12 PID screen on the CTS2. You can also do a manual Regen as well. I am going to replace the iDash at one point with one of these.

You can also get the app Torque Pro on your cell/tablet if you have Android. You would need a
Bluetooth OBD2 adapter Bluetooth OBD2 adapter
. A lot of guys here use this one but there are others. If you haven't seen this https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1322804-torque-pro-ford-6-7l-extended-pids.html on top, check it out.

I have a DuraMileage module in my truck that goes inline with the fuel rail pressure sensor wire. It has the same technology in it as the Stealth Performance modules. There is a switch with 4 modes: stock, 30hp Heavy tow, 60hp Daily/light tow and 90hp Performance. It increases the fuel pressure for better atomization and power. It definitely woke the truck up on the low end. From what I've read, Ford detunes the trucks on the lower end for lower emissions. This module helps the engine at the lower RPM range. I keep it in the 60hp setting. I tried the 30hp and she had more power, but mileage was not as good on the daily commute. I don't have a camper yet to tow. I'm not looking for a mileage increase, I just like the power at the low end.

Mishimoto has some fan controllers with a wide spread of engagement, 190-250f, I can target factory temp ranges, and use AC on triggers to manually engage fans for the engine oil, trans, or both to cool before primary fan engagement temps are reached. Try to create a cooling strategy that pulls the temps down before the primary cooling system. Using a sandwich adapter off the oil filter to supply and return an oil cooler leaves the factory coolers in place, this might actually help in cooling **if my water jackets are finally clean (I’ve had a coolant filter in place for a year or so, the filters I’ve changed were full of sediment).

I could also add oil pressure and temp gauges right off the adapter, more points of reference.
*That's what the digital monitor is for IMHO.

**About your coolant filter kit, please explain what your experience has been. How many miles were on when you put it in and how many now? Thanks. What I have heard before is our 6.7s don't have a problem but I'd be interested to see what you have to say on it.

Thoughts on what I’m doing would be most appreciated, which is ultimately, to create a better cooling strategy and lower running temps that don’t have you dancing on primary fan engagement or possible defueling when you’re working your truck. I think these changes would make noticeable improvements, excluding the tuning. That’s just being greedy. If everything works, and tuning counters the improvements, well that will be removed. Thx for the time.

Please let me know if I can answer anything else on here or direct message me. I'm not an expert but just read a lot and I think like you. Just trying to share ideas with people.

Last edited by Overkill2; 04-01-2018 at 12:10 PM. Reason: add to post
Old 04-03-2018, 04:00 AM
hoseclamp
Elder User
I had a detailed reply done, lost it. Hate the internet at planet Hollywood LV. Lol. FASS, been on the fence myself, need to research more. If it is durable enough to be showered with rocks and gravel, I’ll be doing that too absolutely. Additives, optilube I’ve used for 4 years, great results commercially, and economical with the summer formula, 2,540:1 mix ratio. Awesome. The methanol kit I’ve had on the shelf since last summer, been too busy to install it, will do once I get my s class on the road in May. Nothing but positives there, and a complete stand alone kit, the truck won’t know it’s there. No limit intercooler, won’t cool anything but will flow better, where I’m assuming improved efficiency creates power with less energy, lower EGT’s. This and the methanol, well on the way to better results climbing hills with big weight and high ambient temps. Hood vents, that might be a good addition too, haven’t tried that since my ‘04 rubicon with a 4.6L I-6 stroker. It made a lot of heat. Good call.

Luberfiner LFP9750 and remote mount, 1/4” line off a sandwich adapter, or tee into the pressure sensor by the filter. 2 micron filter makes a year without a change easy. My regen frequency drops with fresh oil, and get worse as the miles add up. A 20-30 micron full flow is fine, but a bypass keeps particulates down. This will reduce regen frequency, along with the methanol, less regens, less cylinder wash, happier motor, and less regens while pulling too. Calibrated Power SOTF tuner, clean no hp tune still gets a 25rwhp bump with no increase in regens or a drop in mpg, control of the truck, tow haul mode, engine brake, the operator still has full control of this, which is great. You get two heavy tow tunes, and a 8,000lb and lighter tow, and full race is 570hp/1,280lbs yo the wheels, plus some great trans calibrations. Mine arrived today, won’t be waiting long to install it. Engine oil pressure and temp gauges, if the edge monitors them I’ll probly go that route, but my ocd wants stand alone guages if the edge craps out. OCDOCDOCD.

coolant debris. Ford still has issues with casting/manufacturing debris in the water jackets, I know of three FMC diesel techs that have changed out the oil/water coolers so many times they’ve lost count. 17’s also. I should have installed my filter right away, but I had no issues with my ‘11&’15 trucks, just my ‘13 dually. Some might find warm oil temps under a load, you might have 240f oil temps one day empty in the middle of winter. There’s pros to keeping the engine cooler, I’m told my coolant should be clean now, and tie the coolers into the system independent to the existing design. I’ll probly go that route. I have a few more parts to research and order. Will make an interesting spring.