Noise coming from rear axle. - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine

Noise coming from rear axle.

Old 03-19-2018, 02:18 PM
steager_94
New User
steager_94 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Noise coming from rear axle.

Hey guys,
Once again I need some advice before I tear in the my truck and not know what I'm doing. I've had a noise coming from my rear axle for some time now. I just realized where it originated from after trial and error changing fluids from my transmission back. And today I finally put it on jack stands and heard the the noise is coming aboutat my wheels on my rear axle. I checked the condition of the pads and rotors and they seem to look good and have some life left in them. I just want to know what to look for when I get the chance to take it apart. Thanks fellas.

Old 03-19-2018, 05:08 PM
steve(ill)
Post Fiend
steve(ill) has a great reputation on FTE.steve(ill) has a great reputation on FTE.steve(ill) has a great reputation on FTE.steve(ill) has a great reputation on FTE.steve(ill) has a great reputation on FTE.
can be drag in the brakes , emergency, or backer plate..... if not that, you could have a bad wheel bearing..... narrow it down with brakes removed.... see if there is radial clearance in the bearing by lifting wheel.... there should be 1/ 16 inch end shake ( approx.)..... your looking for up / down clearance.

Old 03-20-2018, 10:59 PM
1saxman
Posting Guru
1saxman has a good reputation on FTE.1saxman has a good reputation on FTE.1saxman has a good reputation on FTE.
If its a roar its probably a wheel bearing. Sometimes they will click when turning the wheel. Some rear wheel bearings on trucks are lubed by the gear oil and some are packed with grease. If the bearing cut the axle you'll need an axle too.

Old 03-22-2018, 02:53 PM
Garden Spyder
Post Fiend
Garden Spyder has a brilliant futureGarden Spyder has a brilliant futureGarden Spyder has a brilliant futureGarden Spyder has a brilliant futureGarden Spyder has a brilliant futureGarden Spyder has a brilliant futureGarden Spyder has a brilliant futureGarden Spyder has a brilliant futureGarden Spyder has a brilliant futureGarden Spyder has a brilliant futureGarden Spyder has a brilliant future
Mine was making a noise, and it turned out to be the pinion bearings. It cost me about $590 dollars to have a local shop fix it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.