6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

6.0 oil cooling issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 07:27 PM
Roman13
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.0 oil cooling issues

What’s up everybody, having some issues with my 6.0 wondering if anybody has any advice ...
I recently just did the VC 9 flush and replace my oil cooler .
I already have my EGR delete and ARP studs and bpd ficm
Yes , The oil cooler is oem ford
My cooling temperatures on the highway stay around 186 to 188
My EOT is at 230 to 240
I went ahead and put a infrared thermometer on the oil pan and oil filter when the temperature was at 240 and it read 205 . 🤔
Could my edge cts be reading bad ?
Bad oil temp sensor ?
Bad water pump flow ?
Stuck thermostat?
Bad fan clutch ? Which I changed out about eight months ago with an aftermarket clutch.

Thank you in advance any help would be appreciated

Old 03-18-2018, 08:04 PM
FiznUKa
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It’s alittle bit of work but you can swap the coolant and oil senders and check the temps again. Also check the temps after a cold soak (12hrs) and see what they read.

Old 03-18-2018, 08:55 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
The seal on bypass valve in the oil cooler base has been known to tear if manhandled, and messing up either the cooler or filter bypass valves during the work will cause problems. Did the valve come out of the top of the standpipe in the oil filter housing? Or did you accidentally take the cooler bypass valve out of the filter base when you took the oil cooler housing out?

Cooler bypass valve write-up, but it's outdated in that you can find a new valve for sale now. If you need the spring you have to buy the whole filter base:
WA0UWH - Electronics & HAM Radio Blog: FORD Rant - Oil Cooler Bypass Valve - is a non replaceable part.

You can check ECT vs EOT on a cold start (as mentioned above), they should read +/- 2* of each other.

Shooting the pan isn't an accurate way to gauge the oil temp, it has to do with fluid flow in the pan, it's the same reason fancy transmission pans don't do anything for heat transfer:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post10038870

Old 03-18-2018, 10:05 PM
Roman13
New User
Originally Posted by FiznUKa
It’s alittle bit of work but you can swap the coolant and oil senders and check the temps again. Also check the temps after a cold soak (12hrs) and see what they read.
what coolant should I change too ?
By oil senders you oil temp sensor right ?

Old 03-18-2018, 10:10 PM
Roman13
New User
Originally Posted by texastech_diesel
The seal on bypass valve in the oil cooler base has been known to tear if manhandled, and messing up either the cooler or filter bypass valves during the work will cause problems. Did the valve come out of the top of the standpipe in the oil filter housing? Or did you accidentally take the cooler bypass valve out of the filter base when you took the oil cooler housing out?

Cooler bypass valve write-up, but it's outdated in that you can find a new valve for sale now. If you need the spring you have to buy the whole filter base:
WA0UWH - Electronics & HAM Radio Blog: FORD Rant - Oil Cooler Bypass Valve - is a non replaceable part.

You can check ECT vs EOT on a cold start (as mentioned above), they should read +/- 2* of each other.

Shooting the pan isn't an accurate way to gauge the oil temp, it has to do with fluid flow in the pan, it's the same reason fancy transmission pans don't do anything for heat transfer:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post10038870
I’ve heard of the oil cooler bypass valve ,but unfortunately I did not do the work. An ex ford mechanic did the job and the temp is still reading the same.
Also I shot the oil filter housing with the thermometer is that not accurate either ?

Old 03-19-2018, 06:10 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Moving to the 6.0L PSD forum.

Also I shot the oil filter housing with the thermometer is that not accurate either ?
Nope. The only way to get an accurate oil temperature is to measure the oil itself. So if you can find a way to stick your IR gun inside your engine somewhere and read a stream of moving oil, you should get an accurate measurement. There is ALWAYS going to be a temperature drop across a barrier. If the surface of your oil pan was 205, I'd bet 238-240 is accurate. I think your sensors are working fine and you need an oil cooler, but I'm not the 6.0L expert.

Old 03-19-2018, 06:26 AM
Roman13
New User
Originally Posted by Tom
Moving to the 6.0L PSD forum.

Nope. The only way to get an accurate oil temperature is to measure the oil itself. So if you can find a way to stick your IR gun inside your engine somewhere and read a stream of moving oil, you should get an accurate measurement. There is ALWAYS going to be a temperature drop across a barrier. If the surface of your oil pan was 205, I'd bet 238-240 is accurate. I think your sensors are working fine and you need an oil cooler, but I'm not the 6.0L expert.
the oil cooler was just switched out a week ago by ford .
my mechanic did it first and than it still read the same temp 240 . So we assumed faulty cooler and ford went ahead and Warrented the cooler and did the job again.
If the temp is accurate at 240 than I’m going to assume oil cooler bypass valve.

Old 03-19-2018, 07:58 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,490 Likes on 1,727 Posts
The oil pan contains hot oil. The oil temp (EOT) you read is AFTER the oil cooler. It is normal for your oil pan to be 40-50 *F higher than the EOT reading.

I would sure verify your Edge reading.

That said, I am not a fan of VC-9, it can loosen up stuff and plug a new oil cooler.

Old 03-19-2018, 08:39 AM
Roman13
New User
Originally Posted by bismic
The oil pan contains hot oil. The oil temp (EOT) you read is AFTER the oil cooler. It is normal for your oil pan to be 40-50 *F higher than the EOT reading.

I would sure verify your Edge reading.

That said, I am not a fan of VC-9, it can loosen up stuff and plug a new oil cooler.
I agree about the Vc-9 that’s why I made sure they did the flush before reinstalling a new cooler. I’ll be installing a oil temp sensor and pigtail to be sure that’s 100% plus I already bought the parts anyway. Thanks

Old 03-19-2018, 09:28 AM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

If I read this right, you're on oil cooler #3 with the same temps now? They can inspect the oil cooler bypass and the filter bypass by only removing the oil filter and three screws, it's not an invasive job. If they do #4, replace the oil filter base also. It's ~$180 part on pretty much a WAG, but if they're there you're already on the wrong side of $800 in labor to get the cooler out again, might as well replace the base and clean the housing really well.

Old 03-19-2018, 10:00 AM
Roman13
New User
If I read this right, you're on oil cooler #3 with the same temps now? They can inspect the oil cooler bypass and the filter bypass by only removing the oil filter and three screws, it's not an invasive job. If they do #4, replace the oil filter base also. It's ~$180 part on pretty much a WAG, but if they're there you're already on the wrong side of $800 in labor to get the cooler out again, might as well replace the base and clean the housing really well.
I’ll be inspecting my self today , I’ll take some photos of what I find. Thank you ! I heard through another forum that bpd now sells the bypass valves ?

Old 03-19-2018, 10:14 AM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

You can source just the valve, but if you need the spring or if the bore is damaged that requires buying the whole filter base. We've seen torn valves and that's an easy fix by replacement, but there was one where the valve had ridden at an angle in the bore and was galled. This IS a long shot though, so if you waste $16 on the part don't be upset. IPR makes a backflush valve you can replace the EGR cooler outlet cover with, there is still a chance you have so much crap in the cooling system you're seeing coolant-side clogging still.

Use something to compress the valve cover back down, don't pull it down with the screws. Don't LOSE a screw or spring down the standpipe hole either.

https://www.bulletproofdiesel.com/Oi...p/90100115.htm
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...il-cooler.html

Old 03-19-2018, 03:32 PM
Roman13
New User
You can source just the valve, but if you need the spring or if the bore is damaged that requires buying the whole filter base. We've seen torn valves and that's an easy fix by replacement, but there was one where the valve had ridden at an angle in the bore and was galled. This IS a long shot though, so if you waste $16 on the part don't be upset. IPR makes a backflush valve you can replace the EGR cooler outlet cover with, there is still a chance you have so much crap in the cooling system you're seeing coolant-side clogging still.

Use something to compress the valve cover back down, don't pull it down with the screws. Don't LOSE a screw or spring down the standpipe hole either.

https://www.bulletproofdiesel.com/Oi...p/90100115.htm
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...il-cooler.html
do you think after two vc-9 flushes that there is still trash possibly in the cooling system?
I had a welded egr put on about two years ago

Old 03-19-2018, 04:05 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

VC-9 can do some nasty stuff, I've heard (I'm not a chemical engineer and don't pretend to be one, just read this on the internet) that leaving it in longer than 3 hours or at higher concentrations trace amounts can remain adhered to engine metal and continue loosening debris even after it's flushed out. Some people have nasty systems, and have to go so far as to remove the radiator and back flush it and also replace the heater core.

You can backflush though a special cover over the EGR cooler outlet, it works with a welded cooler installed.:
Oil Cooler Backflush Valve Kit - Gen 2
https://www.accuratediesel.com/6-0l-...SABEgI97_D_BwE

Old 03-21-2018, 06:25 AM
JoshC017
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very good info in here. I have a similar issue with my truck, and another thread going too. Do you have any updates?

Quick Reply: 6.0 oil cooling issues