Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Please help, regarding bent exhuast valve

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 02:28 AM
justmosing
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help, regarding bent exhuast valve

I have a 2002 Ford E350 van 7.3 PSD with about 200k on it. The van ran great, but it had some oil leaks. I took my van to a local diesel shop to get a couple the leaks resolved (supposedly leaking intake valve), and put in a bellowed up pipe since the factory one is leaking. The shop offered me a complimentary power wash since the engine had some caking from the leak and just dirty. After the power wash, it started running rough. They diagnosed that one of the injectors got stuck open probably due to short or something caused by the power wash, flooded the cylinders and bent a exhaust valve. They are now pulling the motor to replace the head. The shop has been very apologetic and said that they will take on the cost of getting it right, I very much appreciate it, and commend them for their honesty and fairness.

For my questions, since this is my very first diesel, I am not familiar with Diesel motors.

Based on what I described above are there any other issues I should consider looking at, that may be problematic down the road?

Also while the motor is out, is there anything else I should ask the mechanic to replace?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Old 03-18-2018, 03:21 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Sounds like a new tactic to tell you more things are wrong and that you should have it fixed/replaced..but at your expense. They're just beatingv you vto the punch and getn the motor out😉

Old 03-18-2018, 06:16 AM
HD Rider
Cargo Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Can they explain how they got enough water in the intake to hydro lock it?
Can they explain how hydro locking it is going to bend a valve?
I think we need more details and you need a new shop, or start doing your own work.

Old 03-18-2018, 08:29 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
The whole diagnosis sounds suspect to me. How did they diagnose the initial leaking intake valve to start with? How do they know that one is bent now? How would a stuck injector flood a cylinder? They have a chamber that fills when the plunger is retracted, which pushes a fuel charge into the cylinder when it comes down. I don't think a stuck injector can flood a cylinder but someone else might be able to set me straight. Sorry but this whole diagnosis is suspicious to me.

Old 03-18-2018, 08:37 AM
SaintITC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by justmosing
The shop has been very apologetic and said that they will take on the cost of getting it right, I very much appreciate it, and commend them for their honesty and fairness.
Get that in writing, 'cause this sounds expensive, especially in a van.

Old 03-18-2018, 08:40 PM
justmosing
Freshman User
Thanks for the responses everyone. I felt the diagnosis was suspicious too, that's why I wanted to get others' thoughts.

What happened originally was there was a oil leak going into the valley of the motor. When I took the doghouse off, there was quite bit of caking in the valley and around it. They offered free diagnosis so I went there. They cleaned it up, and found that when it was running it was leaking from the intake valve. So they gave me an estimate and I left. They also noticed that I had an exhaust leak in the up pipe, so they said if I picked up the part, they won't charge labor to put it in because they'd have to take the turbo off to get to the oil leak.

I decided to do my repair with them because I thought they seemed honest and were reasonable. According to them, after they got everything repaired and reassembled, they took it for a test drive and it was fine, and then when they got it back to the shop it started idling rough. It took them a while to get back to me. They first tried replacing the injector that was stuck open, and they that didn't work. That was when they said that one of the cylinders got stuck open and eventually bent an exhaust valve.

Old 03-18-2018, 09:02 PM
SaintITC
Fleet Mechanic
They replaced an injector? Without asking you? Injectors are expensive, and time consuming to install. Ask them to give you the injector they pulled out. I'd be flipping out if someone worked on my truck beyond what I'd contracted them to do. Based solely on what you've said, honest and reasonable are the last thoughts that come to mind regarding this shop.

Old 03-18-2018, 10:11 PM
schlepprock250
Cargo Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Wouldn't a push rod be more likely to bend if an injector WAS dumping fuel in to a cylinder?
Leaking from an intake valve?? What??

Old 03-18-2018, 10:12 PM
justmosing
Freshman User
Originally Posted by SaintITC
They replaced an injector? Without asking you? Injectors are expensive, and time consuming to install. Ask them to give you the injector they pulled out. I'd be flipping out if someone worked on my truck beyond what I'd contracted them to do. Based solely on what you've said, honest and reasonable are the last thoughts that come to mind regarding this shop.
They kept me informed, I knew before they replaced the injector. And the shop owner told me he wasn't going to charge me for the injector. And then when the injector wasn't the problem, he called again, and told me they're pulling the engine and won't charge me anything for it. I do believe they'll stand by their word. The shop owner seems honest. Now if they try to pull something, I will certainly any legal actions necessary.

Old 03-18-2018, 11:14 PM
mike71800b
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This sounds like a three ring circus... Valves dont just get bent unless the piston runs into them. Hydro lock wont bend a valve.
Did they do a leakdown or compression test? Glow plugs have to come out to screw in the adapter for the compression gauge.
Tips of glow plugs break off, hang the valve open, then the piston hits the valve face and bends the stem... then the valve wont contact the seat and there is no compression in that hole and possibly other damage to the piston and or head.
Just stare them down if told it jumped timing and bent the valve, we dont have a timing belt or chain for that to even be possible...

Old 03-19-2018, 12:35 AM
justmosing
Freshman User
I'm gonna go to the shop to check it out tomorrow and find out exactly what is going on.

Old 03-19-2018, 01:19 AM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 786 Likes on 575 Posts
Possibly the "intake valve" they repaired due to oil leak is the EBPV valve, and it just lost a little in translation. EBVP valve would make sense as a common oil leak back there. Plus it could also make sense to offer to install new uppies for no charge since all that would be readily accessible with the turbo/doghouse off. If they replaced injector #8 because the scanner threw a code, that would be further evidence to me of an inexperienced tech, not a dishonest one.

I'm thinking give the guy the benefit of the doubt and see where it goes. If he is unsure of his diagnosis feel free to send him our way. 7.3's are a bit different.

Old 03-19-2018, 07:05 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Nothing about this sounds right. No charge for an injector? No charge to R&R an engine? How does a garage stay in business like that?

Old 03-19-2018, 07:23 AM
SaintITC
Fleet Mechanic
Re-reading the thread from the start, it seems like the shop was hired to correct oil leaks, probably from the EBPV and/or pedestal o-rings as that's relatively common, and to install new up-pipes. If they powerwashed the engine after removing the turbo/spider - since that's when all the crap around the pedestal becomes exposed - then I can see water getting in the engine and causing damage due to hydrolocking, whether it's a bent pushrod, valve, injector, etc.

It's possible one of their employees made this mistake, and the shop is being responsible in covering the damages. But there's no way a turbo R&R for pedestal leaks and the up-pipe job should have any adverse effect on an otherwise good engine and injectors, as long the tech knows to keep debris out of the intake plenums. An engine R&R in a van is what, a $1000 job?

Old 03-19-2018, 07:37 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
That is a good point on the water down the intakes. That would bite hard.

Quick Reply: Please help, regarding bent exhuast valve