6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Death Wobble

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 07:21 AM
mrgreencms
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Death Wobble

I went on a trip recently and experienced the F250 "Death Wobble" it is an experience that I would not like to repeat. I realize this has been discussed before and I am sure others have had this same experience. I currently have 82,000 miles on the truck, tires are good, plenty of tread left, balance is fine, no issues that way. So, what is the best fix for this problem.
Thank you
2010 F250 DPF delete Spartan Turner

Old 03-11-2018, 09:06 AM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by mrgreencms
I went on a trip recently and experienced the F250 "Death Wobble" it is an experience that I would not like to repeat. I realize this has been discussed before and I am sure others have had this same experience. I currently have 82,000 miles on the truck, tires are good, plenty of tread left, balance is fine, no issues that way. So, what is the best fix for this problem.
Thank you
You need to inspect your track bar, its the bar that goes from a bracket on the driver-side frame rail to the passenger side front axle if its a 4x4. Have someone turn the steering well back and fourth and watch the ball joint that connects to the front axle, any play or movement before the wheels actual turn would indicate a problem. Next check the all the tie rod ball joints the same way make sure none have play. Last you need to check the ball joints, use a floor jack and lift each front tire off the ground one at a time about 1/2" then use a pry bar and apply pressure to the inside of the tire , try to pry up one side of the tire while looking at the ball joint there should be no movement up or down, left or right. if you have any it would indicate a wear issue . Any of these steering components could cause this issue, if you have never changed the ball joint I would suspect them along with the track bar first before any of the others. Hope this helps

Old 03-11-2018, 04:46 PM
DieselDenny
Cargo Master
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Just got a TSB from Ford in the mail addressing this.

They are saying it's due in large part to underinflated tires............................................. ..........

Denny

Old 03-12-2018, 04:21 AM
mrgreencms
Junior User
Thank you. I will check all that is mentioned. I appreciate the information.

Old 03-12-2018, 08:26 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by DieselDenny
Just got a TSB from Ford in the mail addressing this.

They are saying it's due in large part to underinflated tires............................................. ..........

Denny
Sure it is..............
(Please note the above comment was meant to be sarcastic! It is not a reflection on Denny)

No doubt that can cause issues, but the "death wobble", I doubt it. If it was caused by underinflated tires, you'd likely experience that wobble constantly. The death wobble is usually instigated by hitting a pothole or something. Track bar is usually bad, but other parts being worn out can cause it too. I believe most of the tine, there's usually multiple parts worn.

Old 03-14-2018, 07:16 AM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,392 Likes on 2,089 Posts
The death wobble is a series from worn or out of align parts of the suspension system. You have to inspect everything from the frame down to the ground including air pressure, it is not just one factor causing this, it is a multiple event triggered when hitting a bump in the road.

Old 03-19-2018, 07:23 PM
Picton
Senior User
Originally Posted by Maxium4x4
The death wobble is a series from worn or out of align parts of the suspension system. You have to inspect everything from the frame down to the ground including air pressure, it is not just one factor causing this, it is a multiple event triggered when hitting a bump in the road.
I'll admit...I'm (3) whiskeys in...but that description of the death wobble was brilliant/epic, and easily read/discernible. Cheers.

I've just ordered the Bilstein 5100 series steering damper. Replacing what looks to be the OEM factory original damper. I hope that it will improve the wobble in the steering wheel when the "multiple events that are triggered when hitting a bump in the road" occur.

Old 03-28-2018, 03:34 AM
Killnme
New User
I picked up a 2010 F250 KR 4x4 with 210K miles recently. It ran out great on test drives and I noticed during my crawl around inspection before I bought it that the drag link had been replaced. No biggie, one less thing for me to worry with, right? About 500 miles into ownership and I had my first Ford death wobble experience. I had honestly forgotten about this exciting, white knuckle experience from days past and owning a 2005 Wrangler Rubicon with a 6" lift. I should have test driven it more on bumpy interstate and less surface streets and off-road. (Potential buyers take note) Both would get DW after hitting expansion joints on bridges or potholes at speeds > about 60 mph. The Jeep took a while to figure out - it was all new to me then - but this time I knew to look for play / wiggle in the suspension components. The F250 had a loose track bar bolt where it attaches to frame. My guess is that the previous owner got frustrated after putting new 35" mudders, new steering stabilizer, and new drag link but was still getting DW at times.
I removed the track bar nut, applied blue Loctite, and torqued it to whatever my 2 foot, 1/2' breaker bar with a 3 foot cheater pipe could get it to -I think the torque is something like 365 ft lbs! Anyway, no more death wobble. Gone just by tightening a nut. I know others have had different solutions for DW issues but start with the easy (and cheap) stuff first. BTW, the Jeep's DW ended up being a loose bolt on the drop down bracket for the track bar.