1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Help, 1948 front panel alignment

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 12:23 PM
mod22
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help, 1948 front panel alignment

Trying to align front sheet metal but when I go to tighten fenders to the upper grill it doesn't want to tighten without bending metal around bolt holes. Any tips??

Old 03-09-2018, 01:17 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I found this link to a prior thread on this subject. It may prove helpful,..https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...procedure.html Update, I just realized it is for a F100 not an F1, Sorry but I'm sure someone with more knowledge will chime in soon. Meanwhile Ill keep looking.

Old 03-09-2018, 01:51 PM
bhalemail
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Are those upper front fenders re-pops? (ie new)

I'm at that point in the next couple weeks so i can speak first hand on how to adjust but just thinking about it and looking at your pictures it looks as thought the back of the upper grill panel is pretty tight/close to the fender and it spreads the further out you come. I don't know how much of a difference it would make but do you have the cowl lacing between the fender and cab/cowl in place? That might push the back of the front fenders out a little and allow the front gap to close a little. The holes in my inner fender panels for mounting are definately larger than they need to be. perhaps this is for some adjustment (in and out/side to side). Do yo have front grill attached to the fender around the headlight openings? I can't recall without looking at mine but if those screw holes are slotted perhaps loosening them a little would allow the fender to adjust inwards without binding the metal. Not sure i'm explaining it correctly or not but if the fender can't go in because it's attached to the grille then the only thing that would happen is the metal would pull at the fastener.

Sorry i'm not much better help but I'll be watching this thread closely so please keep us up to date with your progress. Many on here have done this so i'm sure they will be along shortly to offer some "real" help. Once i get home and out to the garage i'll take a look at mine and see what i can find that would allow the fender to adjust

Old 03-09-2018, 04:17 PM
mod22
Senior User
Originally Posted by underthebridgejim
I found this link to a prior thread on this subject. It may prove helpful,..https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...procedure.html Update, I just realized it is for a F100 not an F1, Sorry but I'm sure someone with more knowledge will chime in soon. Meanwhile Ill keep looking.
Thanks for trying to help. Some info in there was still helpful.

Old 03-09-2018, 04:36 PM
mod22
Senior User
Originally Posted by bhalemail
Are those upper front fenders re-pops? (ie new)

I'm at that point in the next couple weeks so i can speak first hand on how to adjust but just thinking about it and looking at your pictures it looks as thought the back of the upper grill panel is pretty tight/close to the fender and it spreads the further out you come. I don't know how much of a difference it would make but do you have the cowl lacing between the fender and cab/cowl in place? That might push the back of the front fenders out a little and allow the front gap to close a little. The holes in my inner fender panels for mounting are definately larger than they need to be. perhaps this is for some adjustment (in and out/side to side). Do yo have front grill attached to the fender around the headlight openings? I can't recall without looking at mine but if those screw holes are slotted perhaps loosening them a little would allow the fender to adjust inwards without binding the metal. Not sure i'm explaining it correctly or not but if the fender can't go in because it's attached to the grille then the only thing that would happen is the metal would pull at the fastener.

Sorry i'm not much better help but I'll be watching this thread closely so please keep us up to date with your progress. Many on here have done this so i'm sure they will be along shortly to offer some "real" help. Once i get home and out to the garage i'll take a look at mine and see what i can find that would allow the fender to adjust
The fenders are repop steel. Seem to fit well besides this. No bolts around headlight. Loosened bolts from innerfender to cab which seemed to help some.

Old 03-09-2018, 07:22 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
I can't tell from the pics, but the best practice is to assemble the front clip off the truck and then install. Short of that, loosely assemble the parts before tightening anything - including the inner fenders and the connections to the radiator brace.

Old 03-10-2018, 01:17 AM
mod22
Senior User
Originally Posted by FortyNiner
I can't tell from the pics, but the best practice is to assemble the front clip off the truck and then install. Short of that, loosely assemble the parts before tightening anything - including the inner fenders and the connections to the radiator brace.
Thanks FortyNiner that was one thing I was going to ask. Seems I could get the rear of fenders spread farther that way the front gap closed up and tight and then slowly bring the rear of fenders inward hoping that once those bolts are tight it wont allow it to seperate at the front panel.

Old 03-10-2018, 01:16 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
From a practical perspective, trying to assemble the grille is a fastener intensive exercise. With all the goofy access angles needed, I found that it was best to get all those pieces fully together off the truck. Then the grille and valances are treated as big pieces of the puzzle - instead of an impossible collection of maddening parts.

Old 03-11-2018, 03:46 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 332 Likes on 256 Posts
Like FortyNiner, I assemble them as a unit upside down in order to reach the nuts and bolts. Fenders, grill, splash pan, upper and lower valance and then bolt on the truck.