Engine compartment paint - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Engine compartment paint

Old 03-09-2018, 09:03 AM
Dano61
Junior User
Dano61 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Engine compartment paint

getting to the point were Iím almost ready to start the paint scheme on the engine compartment. What colors are you guys using for the inner fender walls? Please post pics!

Old 03-09-2018, 09:10 AM
TA455HO
Postmaster
TA455HO has a good reputation on FTE.TA455HO has a good reputation on FTE.TA455HO has a good reputation on FTE.
Mine are black which is also what they were originally.

Chad

Old 03-09-2018, 09:31 AM
resonateur
Elder User
resonateur is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.resonateur is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.

....I also like the original style, with the firewall painted same as the cab and the inner fenders black...

Old 03-09-2018, 10:00 AM
TA455HO
Postmaster
TA455HO has a good reputation on FTE.TA455HO has a good reputation on FTE.TA455HO has a good reputation on FTE.
That looks fantastic! The plumbing for your A/C looks super sano.

One trick when assembling freshly painted panels that someone showed me years ago is to make a few cardboard squares - maybe about 1" square - the type of cardboard like on the back of a pad of paper, not corrugated. Punch a round hole in the middle of each square about 3/8" diameter or as needed. Then pass things like fender bolts thru the cardboard before installing them. The cardboard gives a smooth surface to slide back and forth as you make adjustments and doesn't interfere with tightening down enough to keep the panel from moving. Once everything is set then back out each bolt/screw one at a time at least enough to pull the piece of cardboard (you can tear the cardboard using needle nose pliers, for example) and then torque them to final setting. Keeps the serrated washers from scratching, for example.

Here's pics of the inner fenders for my 1966 F250 4x4, which are different than the 2x4. I still need to get my 2x4 ones done.

Maybe a little too shiny...

Chad

Old 03-09-2018, 10:04 AM
resonateur
Elder User
resonateur is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.resonateur is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
....thanks Chad. I gave the a/c layout a lot of thought and laid it out more than once!

Old 03-09-2018, 12:14 PM
braol
Junior User
braol is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Hey! What is your truck's exterior paint color. I love it.

Old 03-09-2018, 01:41 PM
resonateur
Elder User
...thanks...Marlin Blue and Wimbledon White...

Old 03-10-2018, 04:05 AM
Spatzboy
Junior User
Spatzboy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by resonateur View Post

....I also like the original style, with the firewall painted same as the cab and the inner fenders black...
Great look job!! Where did you get the air filter?

Old 03-10-2018, 10:30 AM
resonateur
Elder User
Its just a stock 10” Edelbrock air cleaner. It was black, so I blasted it, painted it engine blue and added a “390” sticker....mustang source, I think.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:19 PM
BarnieTrk
Posting Guru
BarnieTrk is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.BarnieTrk is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.

What is the color you put on the hood hinges and latch?
Is that the OEM color or ?

BarnieTrk

Old 03-12-2018, 10:55 PM
resonateur
Elder User
Barnie,
Those are all yellow zinc dichromate plated. I had them done here in the San Fernando Valley. Also replated all the original fasteners which I used with the exception of those I replaced, if I could get them in the same finish.

Old 03-13-2018, 10:16 PM
BarnieTrk
Posting Guru
BarnieTrk is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.BarnieTrk is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Barnie,
Those are all yellow zinc dichromate plated. I had them done here in the San Fernando Valley. Also replated all the original fasteners which I used with the exception of those I replaced, if I could get them in the same finish.
So do you know if those parts were yellow zinc dichromate plated when they rolled out of the assembly plant back in '66?
I'm thinking not........

BarnieTrk

Old 03-13-2018, 11:02 PM
resonateur
Elder User
....I seriously doubt it...although some parts may have been. I chose my finishes based upon durability and uniformity of appearance. The other dozens of variations I’ve made from original, make the point moot.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:49 AM
TA455HO
Postmaster
Originally Posted by BarnieTrk View Post
So do you know if those parts were yellow zinc dichromate plated when they rolled out of the assembly plant back in '66?
I'm thinking not........

BarnieTrk
Hinges, hood latch, hood safety catch and many of the exterior bolts and other hardware were originally coated with what is called "Manganese Phosphate". It can range from sort of a dark gray to almost black.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosph...ersion_coating

Chad

Old 03-14-2018, 01:42 PM
resonateur
Elder User
...and although that was meant to be a rust-preventive coating, long before we got them, they became a new color called...rust.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine compartment paint

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.