2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Pics of ladder/headache rack setups?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 09:05 PM
2manyrides
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pics of ladder/headache rack setups?

Title says it all. Looking for what others are using out their. I NEED a ladder rack, I Want a headache rack. The rear of the rack must be easily removable fo when I put the salt spreader in and out during the winter. This happens very often because we are primarily a roofing company. This will be for a 2018 ccsb f350. My currant spreader is a 1.5cubic yard western tornado. I'm thinking this will come very close to the back of the truck and I really would like the extra protection for that fancy power sliding rear glass! I also need somewhere to mount a beacon and the magnetic ones on top of the truck will no longer work. I know about the Trac Rac, we use those on our other trucks, but they no longer sell the headache rack attachment. Really like the magnum setup, but would love to see/hear from someone with there headache rack, rails, and rear rack

Old 02-19-2018, 10:57 PM
PentaPop
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I just ordered a Magnum headache rack. Haven’t seen one first hand but there are a couple of members that have them and are happy with them. May add the rear rack at some point for canoe hauling but that’s down the road a ways. Check out this thread if you haven’t seen it already.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...th-lights.html

Old 02-20-2018, 03:51 AM
doucetrr
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Works But Pricey

A Magnum rack system will definitely accomplish what you want, but would get pricey by the time you buy all the pieces you need to actually use it as a ladder rack. A lot of full racks have a removable rear cross bar. Perhaps one that is vertical vs. following the contour of the truck would allow the spreader to be installed/removed....
https://www.magnummfginc.com/

Old 02-20-2018, 05:23 AM
rob40cal
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is the Magnum Hi pro with the rear 20" tall rack.
The rear rack is held on with clamps, so you could remove it fairly easily.

Rob

Old 02-20-2018, 05:35 AM
NorEasterMA
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Like Rob said, I'd go Magnum with the rails and removable rear. Pricy? Sure, but it's US Made right in Maine and it's 100% aluminum, down to the mounting hardware which is key on these new trucks (especially with a spreader).

Old 02-20-2018, 11:09 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 538 Likes on 262 Posts
+1 for the Magnum. The base rack includes a groove "rail" where the attachments they sell mount, including the ladder rack hardware.

Magnum lets you choose Hi-Pro (above the roof line but allows the 3rd brake light to be seen); Lo-Pro (level with roof line but obscures the 3rd brake light) and you can have powder-coat black or mill-finish bare aluminum. You can get with the sliding window cut-out or without. Here's my low-pro black rack, which is adding protection for the transfer tank and pump I'm installing plus gives me a place to mount some discreet strobes for plowing.

Old 02-20-2018, 03:46 PM
doucetrr
Tuned
Originally Posted by rob40cal

Here is the Magnum Hi pro with the rear 20" tall rack.
The rear rack is held on with clamps, so you could remove it fairly easily.

Rob
Looks great Rob, Barrington is close to me. Love Calef's Cheese.

Old 02-20-2018, 05:50 PM
rob40cal
Senior User
Originally Posted by doucetrr
Looks great Rob, Barrington is close to me. Love Calef's Cheese.
Thank you. Yes, I see you are from Berwick.
Do alot of Atving in Maine.

Rob

Old 02-21-2018, 12:39 PM
2manyrides
Senior User
Thanks for the replies. Rob, does magnum make a rear rack that's actually as tall as the front? I might just go with the front rack and make my own rear rack using similar hardware as the magnum rear rack. I'm a pretty good home fabricator. I'd have to do it in steel and not alluminum, but I have a friend that has a Hydrodiping business with a full automotive waterborne paint set up, our there's also a local industrial powdercoater in town. I just Clint see swinging the $17-1800 dollar price tag on the rack, rails,rear rack setup. That's a big pill to swallow after buying a 50k truck plus tax and license

Old 02-21-2018, 02:31 PM
doucetrr
Tuned
Originally Posted by 2manyrides
Thanks for the replies. Rob, does magnum make a rear rack that's actually as tall as the front? I might just go with the front rack and make my own rear rack using similar hardware as the magnum rear rack. I'm a pretty good home fabricator. I'd have to do it in steel and not alluminum, but I have a friend that has a Hydrodiping business with a full automotive waterborne paint set up, our there's also a local industrial powdercoater in town. I just Clint see swinging the $17-1800 dollar price tag on the rack, rails,rear rack setup. That's a big pill to swallow after buying a 50k truck plus tax and license
Perhaps something like this would suffice for your rear rack. Cheap enough even you have to buy both pieces...800 pound capacity....
http://www.amazon.com/AA-Racks-Capacity-Extendable-Pick-Up-Two-bar/dp/B00G5RPSEU/ref=zg_bs_3097819011_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=N5QVFC1KTAZJY0AEX0CV http://www.amazon.com/AA-Racks-Capacity-Extendable-Pick-Up-Two-bar/dp/B00G5RPSEU/ref=zg_bs_3097819011_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=N5QVFC1KTAZJY0AEX0CV

Old 02-21-2018, 02:59 PM
zeroo
Cargo Master
Received 496 Likes on 275 Posts

I really like system one ladder racks. I’ve had headache racks and Trac racks. 4 bolts and 5 minutes they are off. This kit was about $500 minus the ratchets strap, they are about $200. The stuff is engineered great. And rated for 600 lb like this, but adding rails that attach the 2 ups it to 1200lb. They also make angled top side tool boxes that are pretty slick but expensive.

Old 02-22-2018, 01:38 AM
2manyrides
Senior User
Perhaps something like this would suffice for your rear rack. Cheap enough even you have to buy both pieces...800 pound capacity....
http://www.amazon.com/AA-Racks-Capac...1KTAZJY0AEX0CV
I'm familiar with these racks. That would defiantly be cheep and easy, but not shure the height would match. If I where going to do something like that I would honestly just make them myself so I new the height is right. I have a Rouge Fab tubing bender and both 1.75'' and 1.5'' dies.

Old 02-22-2018, 03:43 AM
doucetrr
Tuned
Originally Posted by 2manyrides
I have a Rouge Fab tubing bender and both 1.75'' and 1.5'' dies.
If you have a welder , you could fab the headache part of it as well....☺

Old 02-22-2018, 04:53 AM
rob40cal
Senior User
I don't know why they don't offer a taller rear rack. But 20" tall rear is the highest.

Rob

Old 02-22-2018, 07:02 PM
2manyrides
Senior User
If you have a welder , you could fab the headache part of it as well....☺
I do have have a nice machine, I also have a plasma cutter. I do not however have a spool gun to weld with alluminum. I know I can build the front rack, and this thread is to see what others might have come up with. I really like the sliding attachment groves on the Magnum, but that would be a whole lot of welding to Fab up something similar. Still looking at ideas!

Quick Reply: Pics of ladder/headache rack setups?