Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lockers???

Old 10-09-2018, 11:34 AM
00t444e
Posting Guru
00t444e is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.00t444e is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo View Post

not sure what hassle you speak of as once the system is mounted you just flip a switch to use it. Anyhow, before you discount on board air for an ARB consider the fact you then always have air and the ability to fix flats or just air up tires.
Hell, even if you donít get an ARB installing a on board air system is a good idea.
On board air isn't a bad idea but I don't like the Idea of having it operates my differential, many people have issues with leaks causing the lockers not work. I would rather have a mechanical locker so I know it's going to work every time.

Old 10-09-2018, 11:41 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Postmaster
pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.
Meh, If you get an air leak it’s because you did a **** poor job of routing the air lines. Been running ARB’s on my DD, jeeps and race cars for over 20 years and have never had a leak or a failure. My guess is the same people that haphazardly ran run air lines would not do a much better job on an elocker wiring and would likely get a short.

Old 10-09-2018, 11:53 AM
00t444e
Posting Guru
00t444e is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.00t444e is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I would rather have one that you can just throw in there and forget about it and it works, no air lines, wires, or cables.

Old 10-09-2018, 12:00 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Postmaster
pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.
Lucky for you there are several non selectable lockers to choose from but none of them that really let you forget about them as they have their own set of quirks to constantly remind you of their presence.

For me the ability to match the diffrential being open or locked to match the conditions is vital.

Old 10-09-2018, 12:05 PM
00t444e
Posting Guru
Lucky for you there are several non selectable lockers to choose from but none of them that really let you forget about them as they have their own set of quirks to constantly remind you of their presence.

For me the ability to match the diffrential being open or locked to match the conditions is vital.
I have auto lockers in the rear of all three of my vehicles, I don't even notice them other than the fact I have much better traction. A rear selectable would be no help to me in a daily driver, I don't want an open diff or a spool when I am on the street.

Old 10-09-2018, 12:14 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Postmaster
Out here in the west or at least in our mountains a rear locker on the snowy roads will put you in the ditch faster than you can blink.

Old 10-09-2018, 12:41 PM
00t444e
Posting Guru
Out here in the west or at least in our mountains a rear locker on the snowy roads will put you in the ditch faster than you can blink.
So will most factory limited slips if you don't know what to expect, a rear locker isn't much different in the snow.

Old 10-09-2018, 02:08 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Postmaster
ya, limited slips are useless in the snow and lockers are more of a hinderance then a help other then for brief engagements,

Old 10-09-2018, 03:14 PM
00t444e
Posting Guru
ya, limited slips are useless in the snow and lockers are more of a hinderance then a help other then for brief engagements,
They both help in the snow, I would much rather have a auto locker in the rear than an open diff. However I do like an open front differential for snow use.

Old 10-10-2018, 02:37 AM
'88 E-350
Elder User
'88 E-350 has a good reputation on FTE.'88 E-350 has a good reputation on FTE.'88 E-350 has a good reputation on FTE.
Many people shy away from ARB because they require air and electricity to function. I think the fears of air leaks and electrical issues are brought on by the many people who do shoddy installations, install it correctly and it'll be fine. Big rigs rely on air systems and plastic tubing for the brakes, think about that. The couple trail repairs I've assisted on with ARBs showed huge installation screw-ups, almost a miracle they worked at all.

While I have great faith in ARB lockers, their high end twin pump compressor is overpriced junk. It's almost really nice, but has a couple design flaws and I'll never buy another. When I talked to them about the couple easy fixes for the flaws, while arranging a warrantee replacement, the guy appeared deaf to what I was saying. On the upside, it was an easy warrantee approval and I didn't have a receipt for it.

Old 10-10-2018, 03:11 PM
JT250
Posting Guru
JT250 has a very good reputation on FTE.JT250 has a very good reputation on FTE.JT250 has a very good reputation on FTE.
I installed an ARB on a Ford 8.8" for a for Ranger that I owned. I had never built a rear end or installed a locker before. I re-geared it to 4.10, added 31 spline axles and the ARB. I never had 1 issue with it. It was awesome. The Ranger was parted out almost 10 years ago. A guy with a Jeep bought it from me. I thought I wanted one for the front diff, but after the snow comments, I am not so sure. We get bad ice in OKC every few years.

Old 10-10-2018, 03:35 PM
00t444e
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by JT250 View Post
I installed an ARB on a Ford 8.8" for a for Ranger that I owned. I had never built a rear end or installed a locker before. I re-geared it to 4.10, added 31 spline axles and the ARB. I never had 1 issue with it. It was awesome. The Ranger was parted out almost 10 years ago. A guy with a Jeep bought it from me. I thought I wanted one for the front diff, but after the snow comments, I am not so sure. We get bad ice in OKC every few years.
A selectable front locker does fine in the snow, you just leave it unlocked and it's an open diff.

Old 10-14-2018, 07:28 AM
beef tits
Senior User
beef tits is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Beach driving is tricky.

Just be aware that air lockers are a pain in the *** to maintain, require compressors and air lines running everywhere. The seals go out sometimes and can leave you stranded. A rear full-time locker is absolutely AWFUL on pavement, been there done that. Front? I wouldn't even try it.

I don't do a lot of beach driving, mostly muddy fields and mountain trails... My Truetrac works great. I rarely have to engage 4x4 even in some precarious situations. TIres make a big difference too.

Old 10-14-2018, 08:38 AM
00t444e
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by beef **** View Post
A rear full-time locker is absolutely AWFUL on pavement, been there done that
I disagree with that, I have auto lockers in the rear of all 3 of my vehicles and they do great on the pavement. However a truetrac is a good choice if you don't need a full locker.

Old 10-14-2018, 11:45 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Postmaster
Originally Posted by beef **** View Post
Beach driving is tricky.

Just be aware that air lockers are a pain in the *** to maintain, require compressors and air lines running everywhere. The seals go out sometimes and can leave you stranded. o.
Lets see, Iíve had front and rear ARBs in current Ex for 10 years, my f250 before that for 8 years.
i have run them in every wheeler I have had for the last 20 years including winning the Baja 1000 3 times with them.
I have yet to be left stranded by a seal and the only maintaince I have done is clean the compressor air filter we added on the race car. Then again the race car gets completely disassembled after a race and maintained so it added maybe 5 minutes to a 60 hour task.

so I have to ask, what maintaince have you had to do to your ARB ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lockers???

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.