Just got a 67 F250 - now what?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 06:30 PM
jsc83
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just got a 67 F250 - now what?

Hey Folks,
New to the forum and to old pick ups. I've always loved old pick ups and I found one that I really liked. Went to look at it last weekend and chickened out right before the title was signed. Well, I was out of town the last half of the week and came home to find the truck sitting in front of my house. My wife contacted the guy and bought the truck for me while I was out. Guess she's not all bad. I'm now the proud owner of a 1967 F250. It is in pretty good shape, only 68,000 miles. Lived it's life on a local airport where my son and I have a lot of fond memories. It has a real cool history for us. My plan is to fix it up and make a light daily driver out of it, nights and weekends. Also use it for honey dew projects. At this point, I don't know what I don't know about these old trucks. Looks like parts are fairly available from my research. I've worked on a fair amount of cars in recent years, but not too many transfer cases and such. Should be interesting. Glad I didn't throw out my english tools.
I'm sure that I will be leaning on you all for advice. At this point, I have to go through it stem to stern and put together a work list. I saw someone's idea of a Have To, Want To, and Watch lists. I think that's a great idea. Probably start with the brakes and a good tune up for a baseline. Of course change all the fluids.
Anything else you guys think I should look at first?
Thanks in advance.

Attached Images   
Old 02-17-2018, 09:42 PM
BeauF0RD
Elder User
That's so cool, please show more pictures.

Old 02-18-2018, 01:46 AM
mrollings53
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Proper front bumper for one. Check the dates on the tires. Put a '67-'69 bed on it. Treat the rust. Loose the roof light.

Mechanically? Just go through everything. Fix what's broke, leave the rest alone. Might consider relocating the gas tank.

Nice looking, fairly rust free truck you've got. Especially considering where it's from.

Old 02-18-2018, 05:37 AM
GaryKip
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
First off, Welcome to the Forum! Take a few minutes to read the "READ FIRST" stickie Notes near the top of the main page. There is a boat load of great info there. Cool looking truck! I think that I would remove the red light, and the piece that is mounted under the front frame (maybe it's a snowplow mount?), but I'd leave the rest alone. Since it was at the airport, I would hope that it was very well cared for.

Old 02-18-2018, 07:06 AM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Welcome to FTE! Ya probably saw me post up the need to, want to, and watch list strategy.

1. Bumper to bumper evaluation
2. Fluids, filters, and chassis lube... every zerk fitting.
3. Safety systems first... brakes, steering, and lights.
4. Ditch the points and install a Pertronix ignition module. They're dead nuts reliable.

I'd leave alone the beacon and airport livery... it's part of its history.

Old 02-18-2018, 10:16 AM
KsHighboy
Senior User
Congrats! I like it!

Old 02-18-2018, 11:14 AM
Alex from GA
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If it got there under it's own power that's a good thing. Do what HIO silver said. IMO I wouldn't change the outside. Make it safe. Rock auto had a bunch of brake parts on close out prices.

Old 02-18-2018, 12:25 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Ford provided a Truck Shop Manual every year, 1967 included.

You want one. Nod your head "yes".... Reproductions are available print form or CD for not too much money. Has all the inspection, maintenance, and repair procedures, technical specifications etc etc. Another would be Parts CD. Part #s are (almost) like magic. Armed with those you plug them into your favorite intertube search engine and Voila! - everybody who has them in stock worldwide will usually have it listed. Ebay too, etc. Without those it's tough to figure sometimes what's what. Interchange manuals are usefull too.

Start from the ground and work your way up is the safe & sensible thing to do. Tires, wheels, wheel bearings, brakes, brake lines, wheel cylinders, drag link, tie rod ends, steering linkage etc. "Whoa!" is just as important as "Go!".

Old 02-19-2018, 11:24 PM
Thipdar
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jsc83
Hey Folks,
New to the forum and to old pick ups. I've always loved old pick ups and I found one that I really liked. Went to look at it last weekend and chickened out right before the title was signed. Well, I was out of town the last half of the week and came home to find the truck sitting in front of my house. My wife contacted the guy and bought the truck for me while I was out. Guess she's not all bad. I'm now the proud owner of a 1967 F250. It is in pretty good shape, only 68,000 miles. Lived it's life on a local airport where my son and I have a lot of fond memories. It has a real cool history for us. My plan is to fix it up and make a light daily driver out of it, nights and weekends. Also use it for honey dew projects. At this point, I don't know what I don't know about these old trucks. Looks like parts are fairly available from my research. I've worked on a fair amount of cars in recent years, but not too many transfer cases and such. Should be interesting. Glad I didn't throw out my english tools.
I'm sure that I will be leaning on you all for advice. At this point, I have to go through it stem to stern and put together a work list. I saw someone's idea of a Have To, Want To, and Watch lists. I think that's a great idea. Probably start with the brakes and a good tune up for a baseline. Of course change all the fluids.
Anything else you guys think I should look at first?
Thanks in advance.
That's as cute as a new puppy! Hope she's as eager to please you!

Old 02-20-2018, 06:28 AM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Me being a minimalist ( a nice word for lazy) I would leave the truck just like it is, not change a thing. You will love that utility bed. Of course I would go through all the brakes and most anything rubber, all the lights, gauges, window and door hardware, u-joints, wheel seals. Make it purr.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:44 AM
jsc83
Senior User
Thanks guys. Really appreciate the welcome. Glad to hear some many say keep it as is. I do plan to lose the read light on top, but wanted to keep the history intact. Plus the paint job will make it easy to find in the Lowes parking lot.
I do have a newbie question though. I have a small in the rear diff. So I figured while I was there I'd do the oil seals as well. There seem to be a few different ones available depending on the brake size. Looks like there are 2" and 2-1/2" rear brakes. How do I know what I have? Is it just pulling the drum and measuring the width of the brake shoe? Thanks

Old 02-22-2018, 12:34 AM
mrollings53
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't even have to pull it, just measure the outside of the drum.

What oil seals? The ones at the axle shaft flange?

Old 02-22-2018, 05:10 AM
RedTaurus94
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Great truck! I wouldn't change the outward appearance, especially since it has historical/sentimental value for you. It's unique. I'm all for upgrading the safety and/or performance things, but if that's its original configuration, I'd keep it original. Just my 2¢....

Old 02-22-2018, 08:47 AM
jsc83
Senior User
Originally Posted by mrollings53
Don't even have to pull it, just measure the outside of the drum.

What oil seals? The ones at the axle shaft flange?
Like I said, the truck is new to me and I'm still waiting to get the service manual in the mail. I assume there are oil seals at the ends of the axle. Those are the ones I want to replace. Not sure why they would be linked to the brake size. I would think that would be dependent on the rear axle you have, but what do I know. I do know it's a Dana 60 rear end.
Thanks for the help and everyone's thoughts. This seems like a great forum and awesome source of information.

Old 02-22-2018, 10:36 AM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My advice on the rear seals and brake parts is get it tore down first and see what you need. The seals will be in the hub, pull one and take it with you or get then number off it. A lot of things can happen to a truck in 50 years, like a different axle.
also measure the rear drums to see if they are within the servicable limits. The size is usually cast into the drum somewhere. Like a 12" drum will have 12.090 which is the maximum service limit. I'm running some on my 59 that measured 12.120 without being surfaced. I only drive it around town and haven't decided where to go, probably a set of 78 axles to get disc brakes.

Quick Reply: Just got a 67 F250 - now what?