Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Plastic Oil Drain Plug

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 03:46 PM
Kenelz
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Take cross bar off first?

I just looked at my 2018 with the 5L engine. I can't get any leverage using my finger because that bar is in the way. I can come up between with pliers.

But, I can see oil being sprayed all over hitting that bar. Is this Ford's better idea? There is plenty of room on the side for the plug.

Old 09-03-2018, 04:20 PM
smokewagun
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Kenelz

I just looked at my 2018 with the 5L engine. I can't get any leverage using my finger because that bar is in the way. I can come up between with pliers.

But, I can see oil being sprayed all over hitting that bar. Is this Ford's better idea? There is plenty of room on the side for the plug.
is yours 2WD? I change my 4WD all the time without issue. Turn mine by hand. Never used a tool.
Get in there with a large drain pan (I use an 18qt Rubbermaid) and get er done.

Old 09-04-2018, 01:49 PM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 238 Likes on 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Nikki17
Can anyone tell me what type of oil drain plug for a 2017 F-150 5.0L?
Can you be more specific?
Are you asking what material is the drain plug made of on a 2017 5.0L F150?
Plastic or metal?
Or are you asking about an aftermarket drain plug.

Old 09-14-2018, 03:37 PM
sky Cowboy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 250 Likes on 177 Posts
I for one am extremely glad Ford went to the plastic plug. I like time in the shop so change the company trucks oil often myself and I just put on a work glove, and twist them all out by hand, done dozens and never broken a plug yet.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:30 AM
Terryd91
Laughing Gas
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Looks like something Chrysler would do LOL. My jeep's oil drain dumps oil on the y pipe and the filter drains on to the drag link, smoke and drips for days.

I like the plastic plug and pan, it wont rust! I would much rather break the plastic plug than strip the pan with a metal one.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:42 AM
smokewagun
Cargo Master

I changed mine last week. I'm sure yours is exactly like my 2018 5.0L. There's plenty of room in there. Will it hit the bar? Yes. But it goes right into the pan. I'm quite a bit larger than most guys, and I slide under,reach in, and twist it off by hand. Just get it done.

Old 09-18-2018, 01:22 PM
Frdtrkrul
Laughing Gas
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Even though I do work at a Dodge dealer, I honestly don't mind doing the plastic plugs. What I do hate is Ford's inconsistency of using the quarter turn wing bolts or 8 or 10mm bolts for the felt skid plates under the F150s

Also not a fan of the multiple gaskets on the 2.7L cartridge filter cap. The one at the tip is a bare to get off even with a small flat head screwdriver. I recommend using a small pocket knife to cut that gasket off or side cutters. Getting the new one on takes some work but not terrible.

Old 09-19-2018, 10:45 AM
David W Jones
Tuned
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Frdtrkrul
Even though I do work at a Dodge dealer, I honestly don't mind doing the plastic plugs. What I do hate is Ford's inconsistency of using the quarter turn wing bolts or 8 or 10mm bolts for the felt skid plates under the F150s

Also not a fan of the multiple gaskets on the 2.7L cartridge filter cap. The one at the tip is a bare to get off even with a small flat head screwdriver. I recommend using a small pocket knife to cut that gasket off or side cutters. Getting the new one on takes some work but not terrible.
Put thumb on one side of old small gasket. Slip small flat bladed screw driver under other and using the top of the thing the filter slides over lever/stretch the small gasket off. Lubricate new small gasket. Put one side of new small gasket into it's groove. Using small flat bladed screw driver and the top of the thing the filter slides over, lever/stretch new small gasket into place. Time? Maybe a minute. Maybe.

Old 09-01-2020, 07:25 PM
whofan
New User
$40,000 for a new truck and this is the **** you have to put up with.
Ill put A new engine in my 06 before I put up with this. LOL!
Not a fan.

Old 09-01-2020, 07:40 PM
KJ Smith
Laughing Gas
Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by whofan
Not a fan.
Two year old thread.
The 3.5 went back to metal pan and $40k is cheap.

Old 09-02-2020, 02:35 PM
TX Steve
New User
There are plenty to be had on Ebay. I have a couple spares myself.

Old 09-02-2020, 05:08 PM
NASSTY
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by whofan
Not a fan.
I'd prefer they didn't use plastic oil pans, but I wouldn't to go back to a 5.4 to avoid plastic oil pans.

Old 12-11-2020, 12:59 PM
John Mortimer
New User
Originally Posted by vnleclaire
I went out into my garage today to change the oil for the first time on my 2017 3.5 Ecoboost today. I found a plastic oil drain plug instead of the usual hex head plug. After watching a few videos on You Tube to see how to remove it I decided that I would prefer to have a spare plug just in case. The questions that I have are:
Does anyone have a part number? I looked online and couldn't find the right match. Does anyone know why Ford decided to use a plastic plug? (I see it as something that will have to be continually replaced)
Thanks

Hello, i work at Vavoline and we get plenty of fords coming in with the yellow plastic twist plugs. We replace the plug every time but you will be fine to reuse the current plug for a few more times. The hot oil eventually starts to shrink the plastic and sometimes eats away at the plastic over time so you don’t want to reuse it if you notice any leaks.

Old 12-12-2020, 02:05 AM
smokewagun
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by John Mortimer
Hello, i work at Vavoline and we get plenty of fords coming in with the yellow plastic twist plugs. We replace the plug every time but you will be fine to reuse the current plug for a few more times. The hot oil eventually starts to shrink the plastic and sometimes eats away at the plastic over time so you don’t want to reuse it if you notice any leaks.
I doubt the oil shrinks the plastic. In 60k on my last EcoBoost, I never replaced the plug once. No leaks. The issue is with the o-ring. They do get flat spots, tear, and stretch. Last thing you want to do is get ready to put the plug in and fill her up on a Sunday afternoon, and find the o-ring gave out. Again, 60k, no issues. Just be sure to coat the o-ring with oil before you reinsert it.

Old 12-12-2020, 09:53 AM
TJReams
Fleet Mechanic
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by smokewagun
I doubt the oil shrinks the plastic. In 60k on my last EcoBoost, I never replaced the plug once. No leaks. The issue is with the o-ring. They do get flat spots, tear, and stretch. Last thing you want to do is get ready to put the plug in and fill her up on a Sunday afternoon, and find the o-ring gave out. Again, 60k, no issues. Just be sure to coat the o-ring with oil before you reinsert it.
The best way around the oil ring problem is to buy several and either keep them with your oil change tools or tool box. I have about a dozen garden hose washers and O rings in my plumbing box to repair any faucet inside or outside of the house. Plus the Industrial size O rings and quad ring kits in American and metric sizes. My primary paid job for about 30 years, was repairing Industrial equipment including electric and gas/diesel forklifts. I did all my own automotive work.
TJ

Quick Reply: Plastic Oil Drain Plug