General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Insurance Rates

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 02:58 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Insurance Rates

I was informed today that we had a "general rate increase" this car insurance renewal period.
About $100/year. Due to forest fires?? Most of the flood damage was more than 1500 miles away, and I don't think that that many cars got burned in the fire storms around here compared with flooding and hurricanes elsewhere. ???

Old 02-12-2018, 03:13 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
I got evacuated for the Waldo Canyon fire in Colorado Springs 2012. After the fire, I got a letter stating they were dropping my home owners policy because of the wildfire risk. Prior to the fire, March 2012, I put down 10 ton of rock around the house and mitigated almost 200' around my house. I ran a 2" pipe up to the roof with multiple sprinklers just in case there was a fire. During the fire, the firefighters actually used my place as a "rest house", it was the only house on my cul-de-sac that they said they would've defended. I dropped them and got a policy with Amica, better rates, awesome CS and despite the fact they are online easier to get a hold of...

Old 02-12-2018, 03:30 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Not here yet.

Old 02-12-2018, 04:55 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,853 Posts
Just another way for CA to take money out of your pocket. As you know, insurance rates are statewide.

For example, I received a $20/yr increase on my entire policy a couple years ago and asked what was going on? They had said that because of the crime rate in ATL and storms in the southern part of the state of GA the rate increased. I shopped around a bit for a new policy just out of curiosity, but no one could touch USAA with a 9' pole.

Old 02-12-2018, 05:09 PM
pirschwagon
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by hydro man 17
I was informed today that we had a "general rate increase" this car insurance renewal period.
About $100/year. Due to forest fires?? Most of the flood damage was more than 1500 miles away, and I don't think that that many cars got burned in the fire storms around here compared with flooding and hurricanes elsewhere. ???
I quizzed my Insurance Carrier two weeks ago about this. They said Every Company has done an "Increase Adjustment". Home, Auto, etc.

He's a decent guy I knew prior to him going into the Insurance Business. He said the Insurance Council (think I got that right) meets annually and compares loss/profit and decides weather to increase or decrease rates based on 12 months prior. He said the last one was after Katrina. This one was after the Hurricanes in the South.

He said all Companies are required to comply with rate adjustments, even if they stay the same. It's just the way it is. We're at their Mercy (or lack thereof) .

Old 02-12-2018, 05:49 PM
DogRidesInBack
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Insurance is a risk pool. I have 5 items insured under my vehicle policy, and my F-350 is the most expensive vehicle. Even more than my VW Golf 1.8T "pocket rocket" that is my daily driver. The truck as a low-miles per year "pleasure vehicle" costs more to insure.

And as goes the big risk pool, so goes the individual policies. I feel your pain.

Old 02-13-2018, 10:28 AM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
Actually my truck is the least expensive of my "fleet" ha ha. The other two are a 4 runner and just added the Accord. The Accord is the most stolen vehicle in the country. Not sure on the 4 Runner but the Toyota Camery is #3 on the list.

Old 02-13-2018, 08:37 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Sorry Hydro, non-tech threads get posted in GNAC.

Thread moved.

Stewart

Old 02-13-2018, 09:47 PM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,972 Likes on 1,107 Posts
Insurance is the biggest scam in America. Auto insurance is Obamacare. You see all the commercials on TV and Youtube for these insurance companies that have "accident forgiveness" and "we'll buy you a one-model-year-newer car" and wonder how they can do that (since insurance companies also "drop" people with large claims)? Well, they charge the people that don't have accidents or claims to cover the cost. It's total bull****.

Auto insurance companies have done this to me for decades. I have NEVER had an accident, made a claim, or even gotten a ticket and they keep raising my premiums. I have five older-than-dirt vehicles (all on liability and highest deductable) and the rates keep going up and up and up. I'll be dropping USAA in a couple months when the next premium is due and switching to the lowest-cost one again until they do the same thing.

I used to have State Farm and I carried them for 12 years. When the rates would rise above an acceptable level I'd call and complain. The rates would drop for a couple months and then slowly creep up again to that level. I'd call again and repeat the process. After 12 years of playing that ridiculous game I quit those crooks and went to USAA.

The rebuttal from USAA is "we raise the premiums of the people with the claim/tickets". I say that's a crock. It's a crock that the people who aren't causing problems and being ****ty drivers are the ones paying the price and it's stupid.

It's a government plan to price people out of driving their own vehicles and get them into mass transit. Nothing more.

The following users liked this post:
Old 02-17-2018, 12:07 PM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Obamacare = robbers. lairs...

3 years ago.. wife had coverage... got ill at home.. called 911.. fire department took her to hospital.. went into operation room..
fixed something inside of belly.. 5 days and $43,000 . to this day will not pay a dime...

not pre-approved...
she was removed from our house unconscious and bleeding internally .

I know NOT AUTO INSURANCE...

Old 02-17-2018, 12:13 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
$43K for five days? Not too bad. When they carted me off to the hospital about a yer and a half ago the tab was over $100K before I even got there.

Old 02-18-2018, 12:54 PM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
but the hospital is after me for the $43,000...
so I do not see a Deal..
most likely they will take my home..

3 to 1

Obomacare = they should pay, will not force.
Insurance company = not paying
Hospital =pay me.

and ME...do not have it. she was covered.

Old 02-18-2018, 11:05 PM
ford2go
Cargo Master
Received 142 Likes on 87 Posts
What a sad story. It's hard to see how they could insist on a pre authorization for a life threatening condition.

Have you tried talking to an attorney -- one should be able to tell you if there's any possibility of relief -- without charge I would think.

You can generally appeal any insurance decisions and sometimes the logic is goofy. My wife got an expensive device (a wound vac)as a take home after surgery. Insurance wanted to deny it because it had not been pre approved. Turned out that they were able to just change the type of authorization and it was covered. (20 K -- I was relieved).

Also, there should be a state office called insurance commissioner or something like that. They can sometimes help out.

Hope you can get some relief.

hj

Old 01-08-2024, 01:42 PM
KubotaOrange76
Its Comin Right for us!
Received 1,441 Likes on 937 Posts
Originally Posted by pirschwagon
I quizzed my Insurance Carrier two weeks ago about this. They said Every Company has done an "Increase Adjustment". Home, Auto, etc.

He's a decent guy I knew prior to him going into the Insurance Business. He said the Insurance Council (think I got that right) meets annually and compares loss/profit and decides weather to increase or decrease rates based on 12 months prior. He said the last one was after Katrina. This one was after the Hurricanes in the South.

He said all Companies are required to comply with rate adjustments, even if they stay the same. It's just the way it is. We're at their Mercy (or lack thereof) .

I would more buy this if my insurance premiums had not gone up every year, despite no tickets, and one claim ever?

During lockdown bull crap in 2020-2021 and all the work from home were there not less auto accidents?

New vehicles the rate reduces every year for a while, how long I don't know? At some point you get your 15-25 yr old vehicles where the premiums keep going up year over year for a depreciating asset. The whole thing is a mind F--k

Anyone have any tips? It seems there is only punishment for being high risk, no reward for being low risk, or for loyalty etc.

I'm really feeling the squeeze this year, I do a pay in full for discount, and rates went up quite a bit..

Old 04-02-2024, 07:07 AM
steingrimes
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like a tough pill to swallow, especially if the events causing it seem so disconnected from your area. It’s interesting how insurance companies calculate their risks and adjustments. Maybe it’s a good time to shop around for quotes. While on that, looking into united concordia might give you some options or ideas for other types of insurance adjustments or savings. Always worth checking out alternatives!

Last edited by steingrimes; 04-11-2024 at 01:26 AM.

Quick Reply: Insurance Rates