Vent window delete - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Vent window delete

Old 02-12-2018, 01:03 PM
Tomcat49
New User
Tomcat49 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Tomcat49 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Vent window delete

My side vent windows are in such bad shape I was thinking of replacing with the one piece unit
with power .
Any suggestions ???

Old 02-12-2018, 05:03 PM
HILLBILLY BOB
Posting Guru
HILLBILLY BOB has a great reputation on FTE.HILLBILLY BOB has a great reputation on FTE.HILLBILLY BOB has a great reputation on FTE.HILLBILLY BOB has a great reputation on FTE.HILLBILLY BOB has a great reputation on FTE.HILLBILLY BOB has a great reputation on FTE.
just my opinion but i would never replace the vent windows.you can always go to a 1 piece glass,but i would not.i would never do away with the cowl vent either,but to each his own.

Old 02-13-2018, 12:47 AM
pweng1
Posting Guru
pweng1 has a good reputation on FTE.pweng1 has a good reputation on FTE.pweng1 has a good reputation on FTE.
I want to do the same with my crew cab for the back doors. Someone on here offered a templet a while back but i cant remember who. Dont forget to lengthen your glass holder.

Old 02-13-2018, 06:32 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Post Fiend
GreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Tomcat49 View Post
My side vent windows are in such bad shape I was thinking of replacing with the one piece unit
with power .
Any suggestions ???
If you live in a hot climate and don't have A/C then I'd keep the vent windows for air circulation. Otherwise, it would not matter IMHO. I eliminated mine in my 48 but I live in a cold climate.

Old 02-13-2018, 07:09 AM
48 Steel
Elder User
48 Steel is a splendid one to behold48 Steel is a splendid one to behold48 Steel is a splendid one to behold48 Steel is a splendid one to behold48 Steel is a splendid one to behold48 Steel is a splendid one to behold48 Steel is a splendid one to behold
I removed my wing windows and installed electric openers. I also kept the stock cowl vent. To prevent my glass for falling out of the track when closing I made a small "wing" track.

Attached Images    
Old 02-13-2018, 08:27 AM
bjmayberry2
Postmaster
bjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by pweng1 View Post
I want to do the same with my crew cab for the back doors. Someone on here offered a templet a while back but i cant remember who. Dont forget to lengthen your glass holder.
It was John 56panelford!

Old 02-13-2018, 11:21 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
petemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud of
with power .
Any suggestions ???
If you use the forum advanced search tool you will find lots of threads discussing this including the best type of kit to use. Not everyone agrees on this modification. Certainly the guys that want to keep things original don't nor the budget builders. But some of us whose trucks were in such bad shape when we got them that they would never be original again have decided to make the change. Like Vern I have opted for the ventless electric window. But I am keeping the cowl vent.

Old 02-13-2018, 12:42 PM
EBEAR
Elder User
EBEAR is a splendid one to beholdEBEAR is a splendid one to beholdEBEAR is a splendid one to beholdEBEAR is a splendid one to beholdEBEAR is a splendid one to beholdEBEAR is a splendid one to beholdEBEAR is a splendid one to behold
I too will be going to flat on my 53 Charlieled sent me the glass template and I will be making everything else . The rubbers - belt moldings are all available from Steelrubber very reasonably . The complete kit is available but up here the cost would have been $600 + without the glass . I have also eliminated the cowl vent and will be installing exit vents at the rear of the cab .

Old 02-14-2018, 07:13 AM
Tomcat49
New User
Tomcat49 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Tomcat49 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Thanks to all for the feedback,
So far it looks like Mid Fifty has the best Kit and price

Old 02-14-2018, 09:01 AM
bjmayberry2
Postmaster
bjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant future
Thanks to all for the feedback,
So far it looks like Mid Fifty has the best Kit and price
Check shipping! I’m going to pick up one at one of the shows they attend.

Old 02-14-2018, 09:26 PM
jakevidrine
Senior User
jakevidrine is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.jakevidrine is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
for some reason if you order the windows without the stainless bead the shipping is ALOT cheaper, like $65 vs $240. At least mine was, my solid side windows should be in on Friday... I have a fun weekend ahead of me.

Old 02-14-2018, 09:44 PM
EBEAR
Elder User
EBEAR is a splendid one to beholdEBEAR is a splendid one to beholdEBEAR is a splendid one to beholdEBEAR is a splendid one to beholdEBEAR is a splendid one to beholdEBEAR is a splendid one to beholdEBEAR is a splendid one to behold
The shipping for me was just shy of the purchase price and that was without stainless or glass .

Old 02-16-2018, 05:21 PM
bjmayberry2
Postmaster
Originally Posted by jakevidrine View Post
for some reason if you order the windows without the stainless bead the shipping is ALOT cheaper, like $65 vs $240. At least mine was, my solid side windows should be in on Friday... I have a fun weekend ahead of me.
I asked MidFifty and this is what I got back.

“Because the stainless trim is so fragile that the only way we can ship it is in a 96 inch long package which is very expensive to ship . The no bead can be rolled up very easily to fit in a much smaller box

Thank you,

Diane
Mid Fifty F-100 Parts”

Old 02-16-2018, 06:14 PM
jakevidrine
Senior User
jakevidrine is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.jakevidrine is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Well that makes sense... the only issue I have with mid fifty is their shipping prices. At least LMC gives free shipping for $1000+ orders, mid fifty just rings up a horrendous shipping bill.