1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

1997 E350 V10 to 7.3L Conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 10:24 PM
lannondiesel
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 E350 V10 to 7.3L Conversion?

I have a 1997 E350 V10 Sportsmobile Camper, clean body, rust free which is rare here in the rust belt. The V10 with 200k on it threw a spark plug out and I don't want to repair it. I'm planning an Alaska trip in 2019 and don't want this tired engine. A 1999 E350 4x2 with a 7.3L Powerstroke popped up on craigslist with 115k miles on it dirt cheap so i bought it. I meant to research these type of conversions before purchasing the diesel van but I didn't have time to.

I am a very experienced mechanic having done many other gas to diesel conversions in non-Ford vehicles. Many other motor replacements as well. I assume this won't be fun, having to change wiring harnesses, etc. But I also assume it can be done since its similar era E350 to similar era E350 vans. I realize I will likely have to change transmissions as well and I am not worried about that. Likely fuel tank swap too.

Has anyone done this conversion? I imagine this is not easy but definitely possible. I'm in no hurry so I plan on working on this over the next 12 month. Is there any reason I shouldn't? I have a well equipped shop and tools.

Attached Images  
Old 02-04-2018, 06:06 AM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I strongly suspect you’d be the first person to do this conversion. IF you do. But I bet you don’t.

The fact that you’ve done gas-diesel conversions in the past; that’s a huge leg up compared to the other noobs that come to FTE every 6 months with a similar idea.
But I still bet you won’t do it. No disrespect intended. It’s just that you have to change everything.
Fuel tank and lines and filler
all computer stuff and wiring
Probably transmission
front springs and maybe more suspension
cooling system probably
is the a/c system even the same?
I’ve seen some talks on FTE about even the dash having its own computer.

What were the conversions you did in in the past? Were they computer controlled, modern vehicles like your vans?

Old 02-04-2018, 06:08 AM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
A 200,000 mile V10 is a monstrous engine. If you fix the spark plug you won’t be disappointed. It’s definitely not tired due to mileage. Maybe needs a tune up/repairs, but definitely not tired.
Mine 07 E350 has 324,000 and it’s still a beast.

Old 02-04-2018, 09:01 AM
lannondiesel
Senior User
From what I have been told (unverified) the 2wd trans will work but the tail shaft needs to be swapped. Which would obviously lead to a refresh.

I'm not sure if springs would need to be changed. Its a 4x4 quigley, I guess I can call them and see if they use different springs in their conversions for the different engines.

Cooling system is no problem since I will remove a lot of it anyways to do the engine swap and I have a complete donor van that will be right next to it in the shop throughout the conversion.

Fuel tank and lines don't scare me. It will be good to have all new anyways.

Wiring and Computer will be a pain but hopefully interchangeable/bolt up. I have stripped a lot of body's down to nothing for full restorations so I have been in plenty of dashes, etc. Including making new wiring harnesses for custom installs in auto's and boats. Not looking forward to this part but again the two vans will be inside the shop long term for the conversion so it will be easy to compare, etc.

Your right, i likely won't. But i really think I will. I have the shop space to take my time. I'm in no hurry, and I know what I'm getting into overall. I figure take 6 months to a year to get it done.

As for my current V10, I don't know its condition. I bought the Sportsmobile this way. The previous owner had it since new and he is the one that said it's "tired" and that is why he doesn't want to fix it. I also have a regular E350 v10 4x4 that is not a camper. For the last ten years I have owned nothing but diesels and I'm a big fan. I have to admit, i do like the v10 in my non camper. Maybe it would be worth fixing the one spark plug and trying it. But I do like challenges.....and hearing nobody has done it makes me want to all the more. Primary use will be long range travel, in the last 13 months I have driven my VW 4x4 Diesel camper through Europe and Africa. Next on the list is Alaska and South America. Taking the kids with me and need a larger platform, hence the Ford. Locally it will be used to pull my 24' enclosed trailer to local off-road parks, etc with mine and my kids Rzr's and dirt bikes. The V10 in the non camper seems to pull the trailer great. But once the Sportsmobile is done I plan to get rid of the non camper. Maybe the diesel isn't necessary but it's what I really want and I have a running driving 2wd E350 as a donor just sitting here.

Old 02-04-2018, 09:51 AM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Hearing your experience definitely makes it more do-able for you.
But that’s 6months of work. Compared to 6hrs (give or take) to repair a bad spark plug.

I say you should prefer to fix the v10. I don’t believe it’s tired, unless there’s a specific problem you haven’t found yet. Run a compression test. Then make your decision.

Old 02-04-2018, 10:02 AM
B-Xcurgin
Junior User
I say go for it.

Old 02-04-2018, 03:52 PM
lannondiesel
Senior User
Guess I should do a compression test and research repairing the spark plug hole......I'm sure there is plenty of write ups on the repair. Can that be done in place or does the head have to come off? Any links to preferred write ups on that?

Old 02-04-2018, 06:16 PM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
If you have basic mechanical knowledge and a well equipped shop you can do a Time Sert repair on a Ford withOUT pulling the head in under an hour from the time you unlock your shop to the time you walk back outside. I let mine cure the LocTite for a full day before I install the spark plug.

Buy in for the Time Sert kit is kinda high ~$450 last I checked, you may find a used kit cheaper (ebay). It includes 5 metal inserts and all the tools and instructions needed. You will want to have compressed air available and it is best to use a boroscope to check progress.
Time Sert <-- link to Ford Triton kit.
There are other brands, but from what I have seen you get what you pay for. If I had it to do over again knowing what I know now I would gladly pay full price for the Time Sert kit. The tools are multi use, you can do many repairs for that specific size metric thread. The inserts are available separately from the kit. A buddy of mine even used one of the Time Sert Triton inserts to repair the spark plug hole on a Honda powered pressure washer.

And change ALL the spark plugs because if they were installed too loose, which is likely since one has ejected, the other ones are only being held in there with hope.
There is a good Time Sert tutorial here:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...th-photos.html

I would definitely advise you to fix the spark plug. Even if you still decide to do the swap it is better to have a running engine in the parts pile than broken stuff or "condition unknown". Not sure if you have worked on any diesel vans, but you will find the gasoline V10 orders of magnitude easier to work on. If you decide you absolutely must have a diesel in your Quigley, you will probably find it easier quicker and cheaper to do a body swap than engine swap. Or you may find that you want to keep the V10 van as-is and make the diesel one 4X4 also. There is no real magic to it, off the shelf OBS Ford chassis parts transmission and transfer case & some metal fab to strengthen the frame and make it all fit. And you also have the V10 one to see exactly how they did it.

The 7.3 uses a different transmission bell housing bolt pattern than the V10, which uses the Ford modular engine bolt pattern. So you will want a 7.3 specific transmission & equivalent power rated transfer case and front axle.

Old 02-04-2018, 06:54 PM
lannondiesel
Senior User
Under an hour? Even in a E series van?

Old 02-04-2018, 07:00 PM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by lannondiesel
Under an hour? Even in a E series van?
Depends on how well you fit into it.
If you feel the need to remove the seats etc just to fit you & your arms in there then it might take longer.

Also I haven't read that tutorial in a while, but I used a right angle pneumatic ratchet to do all the clearance cutting. On the actually thread tapping I do it by hand. And use a ratchet wrench & socket instead of the T bar included in the kit.

Better tools = better work.
This why I would buy a Time Sert kit all over again knowing what I know now.

Old 02-04-2018, 07:08 PM
lannondiesel
Senior User
Sounds like I'll try this and then make my final decision. I'll first do a compression and then if everything looks good I'll order the Time Sert kit. I don't mind spending $430 to learn a new skill and possibly save this motor.

Old 02-04-2018, 07:24 PM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
And like I said, the tools in the kit are reusable ∞ times if you take care of them.

Old 02-04-2018, 07:44 PM
Hank85713
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Just thinking dont know how much effort it would require, but what about just a cab/chassis switch. if the 7.3 and trans and all are good, then switch the front 4x conversion! the 4x could be accomplished while the bodies are off and any engine trans work completed. In the pu's there are issues with the exhaust system up pipes but since this a van dont know if this is issue.

But like I said just a thought.

Old 02-04-2018, 08:08 PM
lannondiesel
Senior User
2wd is rusty, crusty and nasty but only has 115k on it. Swapping the bodies and then adding the 4x4 doesn't really save much effort. Still have to swap all the wiring, etc. The 4x4 frame and chassis is clean and solid, i trust it more than the crusty 2wd frame. I remember hearing some grumblings about crossmember differences between the diesels and non diesels. I really need to get these vans next to each other and do some exploring.

Old 02-05-2018, 09:25 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
From what I have been told (unverified) the 2wd trans will work but the tail shaft needs to be swapped.
To change a 4x2 trans to a 4x4 you completely disassemble the trans, install the 4x4 output shaft, and put the trans back together. Since it is already all apart a refresh is a good idea.

I'm not sure if springs would need to be changed.
I'll bet they do need to be changed. The 7.3L weighs quite a bit more than a V10.

Quick Reply: 1997 E350 V10 to 7.3L Conversion?