Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Coolant flush again!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 02:17 PM
NavistarJunkie
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coolant flush again!!!!

I recently (2 months ago) had a head gasket failure. I’m running 300/200 injectors and a Billet S471. I exceeded the 40psi of boost limit with stock head bolts and pop went the weasel. So I pulled the heads installed swamps valve springs ,arp head studs, left the factory push rods even though I have a pack of brand new billet ones sitting on my dresser . I also replaced the injector cups while the heads where off and easily excess able . Also had a oil cooler leak so I knocked that out as well. Needless to say my coolant was trashed. So I did a quick flush and put 80$ in cat elc . 2 months later I notice a decent amount off fuel on top of the coolant in my res . So here I am today trying to get stuff cleaned up .<div style="text-align:left;"></div>

Old 01-27-2018, 03:42 PM
Millinex
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NavistarJunkie
I recently (2 months ago) had a head gasket failure. I’m running 300/200 injectors and a Billet S471. I exceeded the 40psi of boost limit with stock head bolts and pop went the weasel. So I pulled the heads installed swamps valve springs ,arp head studs, left the factory push rods even though I have a pack of brand new billet ones sitting on my dresser . I also replaced the injector cups while the heads where off and easily excess able . Also had a oil cooler leak so I knocked that out as well. Needless to say my coolant was trashed. So I did a quick flush and put 80$ in cat elc . 2 months later I notice a decent amount off fuel on top of the coolant in my res . So here I am today trying to get stuff cleaned up .<div style="text-align:left;"></div>
My 02 has had an oil cooler leak all winter. Ordered the parts week and was going to flush the system at the same time. Part didn't arrive in time for my 3k mile trip.

Got home, started her up the next day and ran a few errands. Come home- diesel on top of the coolant.

I "kinda" dodged a bullet on that one lol.

Old 01-27-2018, 04:33 PM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts
someone recently posted a good flush video by diesel tech Ron in another thread. will try to find it

..Arizona97 posted it in this thread. See post nbr 5

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...il-cooler.html

Old 01-27-2018, 04:38 PM
NavistarJunkie
New User
Originally Posted by Millinex
My 02 has had an oil cooler leak all winter. Ordered the parts week and was going to flush the system at the same time. Part didn't arrive in time for my 3k mile trip.

Got home, started her up the next day and ran a few errands. Come home- diesel on top of the coolant.

I "kinda" dodged a bullet on that one lol.
Your cups started leaking during the 3k trip !? Yeah something was looking out for you on that one .

Old 01-27-2018, 04:47 PM
NavistarJunkie
New User
Originally Posted by AllaboutMPG
someone recently posted a good flush video by diesel tech Ron in another thread. will try to find it

..Arizona97 posted it in this thread. See post nbr 5

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...il-cooler.html

Thank you sir . I have a permanent tee mounted in my heater line . I actually seen that video a year or so ago and used oxyclean powder and it seems to have done the trick. I’m just hoping that I used enough loctite 620 on the injector cups and they aren’t leaking. I know for a fact I got them fully seated because I flipped the heads over after pounding them in and could see that they where tight pressed against the bottom of there seat . Just a heads up if anyone ever does injector cups make sure you put some force behind the hammer when installing because the first go around there was 1/16 - 1/32 gap on the very bottom of the bore so I had to really beat them down .

Old 01-27-2018, 04:51 PM
NavistarJunkie
New User
Old 01-27-2018, 05:02 PM
mjtpolice76
Senior User
Did you have the head machined to make sure they were flat?

Old 01-27-2018, 05:11 PM
NavistarJunkie
New User
Originally Posted by mjtpolice76
Did you have the head machined to make sure they were flat?
I did not. I checked them . Cylinder pressures are not an issue. Blackstone sent me back my oil report and everything was very good on 3,500k oil . But there was a thin layer of diesel on top of my cat ecl . I flushed everything today and am going to run water without a thermostat for a few days and see what comes up.

Old 01-27-2018, 05:37 PM
mjtpolice76
Senior User
When my head gasket took a dump one head was off by .0010 and I had 9 bent valves the other head was off too just not as bad. So the machine shop rebuilt both heads new valves seals and guides. I also did arp head studs and new cups. Blackstone found coolant in my oil which made me investigate more. Thought it was oil cooler so I rebuilt that. Ended up being the head gasket so a bunch of $$$ later she runs like a raped ape.

Old 01-27-2018, 06:02 PM
Millinex
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NavistarJunkie
Your cups started leaking during the 3k trip !? Yeah something was looking out for you on that one .
I was on the road for 50+ hours straight, I didn't stop, through 4 blizzards, I spent nearly 800 miles in 4x4 going 40mph through wyoming, utah, CO etc, because of the roads. Everything was fine all the way home, no leaks.

I started her up a couple days later to run errands, and that's when I got the leak, right after I got back. I got looked out for all right