D'oh!! ^$%#@ - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

D'oh!! ^$%#@

Old 01-22-2018, 03:18 PM
1ole4d
Elder User
1ole4d is starting off with a positive reputation.
Angry D'oh!! ^$%#@

So someone needs to smack me. Really hard. Over the weekend I managed to bust the timing cover on my 460 removing the water pump. Don't ask...it was stupid user error. Now I have the fun task of locating one. Since the CA trucks have a slightly different cover this is going to be a big PITA. An initial search came up empty. Think I found one on EBay but will have to verify when I get home.
FYI...make sure all of the bolts are out before trying to remove the water pump....

Attached Images  
Old 01-22-2018, 03:31 PM
Ddaybc
Elder User
Ddaybc is starting off with a positive reputation.
Oh man, that really sucks. Good luck with your search.

Old 01-22-2018, 03:52 PM
Diesel_Brad
Post Fiend
Diesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant future
Have you tried Ford?

Old 01-22-2018, 04:09 PM
GoinBoarding
Posting Guru
GoinBoarding has a good reputation on FTE.GoinBoarding has a good reputation on FTE.
Is the missing chunk one piece? Wouldn't be easy, but a skilled welder may be able to help you out. Just don't try to get them to do it for $10.

Old 01-22-2018, 04:37 PM
MR KROGOTH
Elder User
MR KROGOTH has a good reputation on FTE.MR KROGOTH has a good reputation on FTE.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:46 PM
Diesel_Brad
Post Fiend
Diesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by MR KROGOTH View Post
Thats it!!!!

Old 01-22-2018, 06:27 PM
Eddiec1564
Postmaster
Eddiec1564 has a very good reputation on FTE.Eddiec1564 has a very good reputation on FTE.Eddiec1564 has a very good reputation on FTE.Eddiec1564 has a very good reputation on FTE.
I have a broken water pump bolt on my 95 E350 460 right now and have to pull the timing cover... I got lucky and had only one snap off.... Going to use Anti-Seize when it goes back together!

BTW did your water pump have the back plate on it? When I got mine off, it did not have it. Did some 460's have them or not? If yours does have that back plate, use some JB weld and fix it.

Old 01-22-2018, 08:25 PM
mrollings53
Posting Guru
mrollings53 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Ford racing makes a replacement backing plate. It's available from several retailers.

Old 01-22-2018, 10:19 PM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
willowbilly3 is a name known to allwillowbilly3 is a name known to allwillowbilly3 is a name known to allwillowbilly3 is a name known to allwillowbilly3 is a name known to allwillowbilly3 is a name known to all
94-99 460? Am I learning something I didn't know about what years a 460 was used?

Old 01-23-2018, 08:59 AM
Diesel_Brad
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by willowbilly3 View Post
94-99 460? Am I learning something I didn't know about what years a 460 was used?
Their description is off(like most aftermarket) it is 96/97

Old 01-23-2018, 01:54 PM
1ole4d
Elder User
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad View Post
Thats it!!!!
You're close. It's similar but not quite. Notice the lack of a fuel pump provision on the right and the raised threaded mounting holes on the left side for the crank sensor. The CA trucks never had mechanical fuel pumps. The cover itself would bolt on but I would lose the mounts for the crank sensor and there isn't enough clearance on the right side for the mech fuel pump mount. My bracket for the A/C and P/S is a pretty big one that fits tight against it. If it wasn't for the crank sensor I would just use a standard cover. Alas...I had to be different and buy the CA model...

Attached Images  
Old 01-23-2018, 01:56 PM
1ole4d
Elder User
Originally Posted by Eddiec1564 View Post
I have a broken water pump bolt on my 95 E350 460 right now and have to pull the timing cover... I got lucky and had only one snap off.... Going to use Anti-Seize when it goes back together!

BTW did your water pump have the back plate on it? When I got mine off, it did not have it. Did some 460's have them or not? If yours does have that back plate, use some JB weld and fix it.
Yes, there is a backing plate behind the pump. All 460 water pumps have that plate. I just have to clean it up before I reuse it.

Old 01-23-2018, 01:59 PM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
willowbilly3 is a name known to allwillowbilly3 is a name known to allwillowbilly3 is a name known to allwillowbilly3 is a name known to allwillowbilly3 is a name known to allwillowbilly3 is a name known to all
Buried somewhere in my grey matter I remember putting a fuel pump on a 460 econoline once. It was a completely different pump than pickups of the same year and IIRC, mounted different on the timing cover. Probably no help.

Old 01-24-2018, 05:31 AM
Diesel_Brad
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 1ole4d View Post
You're close. It's similar but not quite. Notice the lack of a fuel pump provision on the right and the raised threaded mounting holes on the left side for the crank sensor. The CA trucks never had mechanical fuel pumps. The cover itself would bolt on but I would lose the mounts for the crank sensor and there isn't enough clearance on the right side for the mech fuel pump mount. My bracket for the A/C and P/S is a pretty big one that fits tight against it. If it wasn't for the crank sensor I would just use a standard cover. Alas...I had to be different and buy the CA model...
If you notice there IS provisions for the crank sensor and they are also giving you a fuel pump block of plate, They were smart. Made one cover for all the years

Right from their ad.....

"Aftermarket replacement for OEM # F6TZ 6019 MA (that has been discontinued).

Ford 460 cid / 7.5L with California emissions

F150, F250, F350, F450

1994 - 1999

Note the sensor mounting holes at 10 and 11 o'clock to the front seal area."

Old 01-24-2018, 08:13 AM
mrollings53
Posting Guru
mrollings53 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
A note about those studs sticking out the bottom of the front cover. You will have to drop the oil pan in the front to install this timing cover, or drill those two holes in the oil pan larger; because those studs need to be installed first. You would think that you can drop the bottom in first with those studs in their holes in the oil pan, but the crankshaft doesn't allow it. The cover needs to be installed straight on. For some reason they drilled and tapped those two holes larger than the bolts used on our year trucks; instead of supplying washers to makeup for using a smaller bolt in the older applications.

I discovered this when I replaced my water pump, and decided to install a new cover. I still don't have bolts in those two holes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: D'oh!! ^$%#@

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.