6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Any Torqshift techs on here!!??

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 03:38 PM
WildWop
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any Torqshift techs on here!!??

so I bought my truck used with 144xxx, now I have almost 200k on the clock. (05 F250 ccsb 4x4) it HAD 35s and now 33s, I have no knowledge of a tranny service ever being done, would it be wise to change the filters out and drain and fill fluid?? I know nothing about this transmission other than it’s electronic. In my chevys I’ve always been told that it’s a no no beings it drains the friction material out that’s in the fluid. I’m getting ready to go from Cali to Texas and back and I would like to do as much PM as I can.

Thank you all all in advance

P.S. there is no issues other than was seems like delayed shifts, no slipping. More or less feels like a excessive defueling before a shift, only in stock being that I run a SCT tuner.
And yes I know these trucks shift that way normally but it seems like a bit more.

Old 01-21-2018, 03:51 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I personally would drain the pan and replace the external filter. The internal filter needs changing at rebuild time only. Draining the pan wil take 8 qts. And the ext. filter change wil add another 8 oz. If the fluid is badly discolored I’d drive it 50 miles and then do another change. JMHO.

Old 01-21-2018, 03:55 PM
WildWop
Junior User
Originally Posted by 69cj
I personally would drain the pan and replace the external filter. The internal filter needs changing at rebuild time only. Draining the pan wil take 8 qts. And the ext. filter change wil add another 8 oz. If the fluid is badly discolored I’d drive it 50 miles and then do another change. JMHO.
It was low at one point, maybe like 55k ago before I threw some stage 2 in a bottle (Lucas) and more fluid in it. Been fine since. But it’s not dark really. Doesn’t smell burnt.

Old 01-21-2018, 04:00 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Originally Posted by WildWop
It was low at one point, maybe like 55k ago before I threw some stage 2 in a bottle (Lucas) and more fluid in it. Been fine since. But it’s not dark really. Doesn’t smell burnt.
I would use only Mercon LV or SP. Torqueshift is a robust tranny but picky about fluids. I would also use nothing but OEM or Racor filters for the engine oil and fuel.

Old 01-21-2018, 04:29 PM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I would use only Mercon LV or SP. Torqueshift is a robust tranny but picky about fluids. I would also use nothing but OEM or Racor filters for the engine oil and fuel.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Enough said

Old 01-21-2018, 04:55 PM
OneCylinder
Senior User
Hey WildWop, I really doubt that your 5r110 is working due to friction material suspended in the fluid. If it is, it's only a matter of time before it fails whether you change the fluid or not. Mine has 323+K on it, I have the fluid and filter changed at 70 or 80K depending when I feel like dropping it off. In your situation, I would service the transmision. Like you stated you don't have a service record and from what I've read these tranys require the recomended fluid.

Old 01-21-2018, 05:32 PM
wedge542
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
might be a good time for the bigger pan and real filter inside upgrade. Several writeups on it here.

Old 01-21-2018, 06:14 PM
WildWop
Junior User
whats the difference between the two fluids??

Old 01-21-2018, 06:15 PM
WildWop
Junior User
what’s the different in LV or SP

Old 01-21-2018, 06:22 PM
69cj
Hotshot
what’s the different in LV or SP
The LV superseded the SP but both are compatible with each other. Get which ever is more available at the best price.

Old 01-21-2018, 06:24 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
Here is an excellent way to change all of the transmission fluid. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-exchange.html

It's not true that friction material in the fluid keeps the trans running. That's what the filters are for, to remove this friction material. If it stays in the fluid it will cause the solenoids to fail. This myth has been perpetuated by people that don't understand how automatic transmissions work. It is NOT true.

MERCON LV and MERCON SP are very similar. I don't know the specific differences. Either one will work fine in the 5r110W TorqShift transmission.

Old 01-21-2018, 06:35 PM
WildWop
Junior User
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
Here is an excellent way to change all of the transmission fluid. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-exchange.html

It's not true that friction material in the fluid keeps the trans running. That's what the filters are for, to remove this friction material. If it stays in the fluid it will cause the solenoids to fail. This myth has been perpetuated by people that don't understand how automatic transmissions work. It is NOT true.

MERCON LV and MERCON SP are very similar. I don't know the specific differences. Either one will work fine in the 5r110W TorqShift transmission.
Thank you very much, thank all of you. You all were a big help, I’ll be changing my fluid here sometime this week!

Old 01-21-2018, 06:36 PM
WildWop
Junior User
Question... the dipstick! What denotes how much is needed???

Old 01-21-2018, 07:00 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 410 Likes on 272 Posts
Question... the dipstick! What denotes how much is needed???
1st, if you plan to keep the truck, listen to what Mark Rolltide said: update to the latest trans pan and filter - maybe a bit over a hundred bucks but you get full filtration. Here:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ns-filter.html

2nd, the guy that was on the design team that created your transmission is the other Mark (Kovalsky) that responded to your thread, I'd pretty much listen to anything he says...

If you do the pan and filter change to '08+, it is 9 Qts in a new pan with a new '08+ filter in the pan. Changing the front filter is optional once this new pan and filter is in place, other than a filter element needs to be in there...

Pretty easy on the dipstick, follow the cold or hot instructions in any Ford manual that has a Torqshift....

Scott

Old 01-21-2018, 07:05 PM
WildWop
Junior User
Originally Posted by diesel_dan
1st, if you plan to keep the truck, listen to what Mark Rolltide said: update to the latest trans pan and filter - maybe a bit over a hundred bucks but you get full filtration. Here:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ns-filter.html

2nd, the guy that was on the design team that created your transmission is the other Mark (Kovalsky) that responded to your thread, I'd pretty much listen to anything he says...

If you do the pan and filter change to '08+, it is 9 Qts in a new pan with a new '08+ filter in the pan. Changing the front filter is optional once this new pan and filter is in place, other than a filter element needs to be in there...

Pretty easy on the dipstick, follow the cold or hot instructions in any Ford manual that has a Torqshift....

Scott
I’ll have to get on that then. I was not aware that there was an updated pan!

Quick Reply: Any Torqshift techs on here!!??