Any Torqshift techs on here!!?? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums



6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Any Torqshift techs on here!!??

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 01-21-2018, 04:38 PM
WildWop's Avatar
WildWop WildWop is offline
Junior User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 73
WildWop is starting off with a positive reputation.
Any Torqshift techs on here!!??

so I bought my truck used with 144xxx, now I have almost 200k on the clock. (05 F250 ccsb 4x4) it HAD 35s and now 33s, I have no knowledge of a tranny service ever being done, would it be wise to change the filters out and drain and fill fluid?? I know nothing about this transmission other than itís electronic. In my chevys Iíve always been told that itís a no no beings it drains the friction material out thatís in the fluid. Iím getting ready to go from Cali to Texas and back and I would like to do as much PM as I can.

Thank you all all in advance


P.S. there is no issues other than was seems like delayed shifts, no slipping. More or less feels like a excessive defueling before a shift, only in stock being that I run a SCT tuner.
And yes I know these trucks shift that way normally but it seems like a bit more.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-21-2018, 04:51 PM
69cj's Avatar
69cj 69cj is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: S.Ca.
Posts: 13,121
69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.
I personally would drain the pan and replace the external filter. The internal filter needs changing at rebuild time only. Draining the pan wil take 8 qts. And the ext. filter change wil add another 8 oz. If the fluid is badly discolored I’d drive it 50 miles and then do another change. JMHO.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-21-2018, 04:55 PM
WildWop's Avatar
WildWop WildWop is offline
Junior User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 73
WildWop is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69cj View Post
I personally would drain the pan and replace the external filter. The internal filter needs changing at rebuild time only. Draining the pan wil take 8 qts. And the ext. filter change wil add another 8 oz. If the fluid is badly discolored Iíd drive it 50 miles and then do another change. JMHO.
It was low at one point, maybe like 55k ago before I threw some stage 2 in a bottle (Lucas) and more fluid in it. Been fine since. But itís not dark really. Doesnít smell burnt.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-21-2018, 05:00 PM
69cj's Avatar
69cj 69cj is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: S.Ca.
Posts: 13,121
69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWop View Post
It was low at one point, maybe like 55k ago before I threw some stage 2 in a bottle (Lucas) and more fluid in it. Been fine since. But itís not dark really. Doesnít smell burnt.
I would use only Mercon LV or SP. Torqueshift is a robust tranny but picky about fluids. I would also use nothing but OEM or Racor filters for the engine oil and fuel.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-21-2018, 05:29 PM
navistarnut's Avatar
navistarnut navistarnut is offline
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: NW IA
Posts: 2,976
navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69cj View Post
I would use only Mercon LV or SP. Torqueshift is a robust tranny but picky about fluids. I would also use nothing but OEM or Racor filters for the engine oil and fuel.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Enough said
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-21-2018, 05:55 PM
OneCylinder's Avatar
OneCylinder OneCylinder is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Jasper, Texas
Posts: 203
OneCylinder is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hey WildWop, I really doubt that your 5r110 is working due to friction material suspended in the fluid. If it is, it's only a matter of time before it fails whether you change the fluid or not. Mine has 323+K on it, I have the fluid and filter changed at 70 or 80K depending when I feel like dropping it off. In your situation, I would service the transmision. Like you stated you don't have a service record and from what I've read these tranys require the recomended fluid.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-21-2018, 06:32 PM
wedge542's Avatar
wedge542 wedge542 is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 793
wedge542 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
might be a good time for the bigger pan and real filter inside upgrade. Several writeups on it here.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-21-2018, 07:14 PM
WildWop's Avatar
WildWop WildWop is offline
Junior User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 73
WildWop is starting off with a positive reputation.
whats the difference between the two fluids??
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-21-2018, 07:15 PM
WildWop's Avatar
WildWop WildWop is offline
Junior User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 73
WildWop is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69cj View Post
I would use only Mercon LV or SP. Torqueshift is a robust tranny but picky about fluids. I would also use nothing but OEM or Racor filters for the engine oil and fuel.
whatís the different in LV or SP
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-21-2018, 07:22 PM
69cj's Avatar
69cj 69cj is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: S.Ca.
Posts: 13,121
69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWop View Post
whatís the different in LV or SP
The LV superseded the SP but both are compatible with each other. Get which ever is more available at the best price.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-21-2018, 07:24 PM
Mark Kovalsky's Avatar
Mark Kovalsky Mark Kovalsky is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: SE Florida
Posts: 16,609
Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
Here is an excellent way to change all of the transmission fluid. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-exchange.html

It's not true that friction material in the fluid keeps the trans running. That's what the filters are for, to remove this friction material. If it stays in the fluid it will cause the solenoids to fail. This myth has been perpetuated by people that don't understand how automatic transmissions work. It is NOT true.

MERCON LV and MERCON SP are very similar. I don't know the specific differences. Either one will work fine in the 5r110W TorqShift transmission.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-21-2018, 07:35 PM
WildWop's Avatar
WildWop WildWop is offline
Junior User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 73
WildWop is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
Here is an excellent way to change all of the transmission fluid. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-exchange.html

It's not true that friction material in the fluid keeps the trans running. That's what the filters are for, to remove this friction material. If it stays in the fluid it will cause the solenoids to fail. This myth has been perpetuated by people that don't understand how automatic transmissions work. It is NOT true.

MERCON LV and MERCON SP are very similar. I don't know the specific differences. Either one will work fine in the 5r110W TorqShift transmission.
Thank you very much, thank all of you. You all were a big help, Iíll be changing my fluid here sometime this week!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-21-2018, 07:36 PM
WildWop's Avatar
WildWop WildWop is offline
Junior User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 73
WildWop is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question... the dipstick! What denotes how much is needed???
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-21-2018, 08:00 PM
diesel_dan's Avatar
diesel_dan diesel_dan is offline
FTE Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Cool, CA
Posts: 4,789
diesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWop View Post
Question... the dipstick! What denotes how much is needed???
1st, if you plan to keep the truck, listen to what Mark Rolltide said: update to the latest trans pan and filter - maybe a bit over a hundred bucks but you get full filtration. Here:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ns-filter.html

2nd, the guy that was on the design team that created your transmission is the other Mark (Kovalsky) that responded to your thread, I'd pretty much listen to anything he says...

If you do the pan and filter change to '08+, it is 9 Qts in a new pan with a new '08+ filter in the pan. Changing the front filter is optional once this new pan and filter is in place, other than a filter element needs to be in there...

Pretty easy on the dipstick, follow the cold or hot instructions in any Ford manual that has a Torqshift....

Scott
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-21-2018, 08:05 PM
WildWop's Avatar
WildWop WildWop is offline
Junior User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 73
WildWop is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_dan View Post
1st, if you plan to keep the truck, listen to what Mark Rolltide said: update to the latest trans pan and filter - maybe a bit over a hundred bucks but you get full filtration. Here:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ns-filter.html

2nd, the guy that was on the design team that created your transmission is the other Mark (Kovalsky) that responded to your thread, I'd pretty much listen to anything he says...

If you do the pan and filter change to '08+, it is 9 Qts in a new pan with a new '08+ filter in the pan. Changing the front filter is optional once this new pan and filter is in place, other than a filter element needs to be in there...

Pretty easy on the dipstick, follow the cold or hot instructions in any Ford manual that has a Torqshift....

Scott
Iíll have to get on that then. I was not aware that there was an updated pan!
Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
4R100 Automatic Transmission flush-pics and video jeffreyt 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 301 02-17-2018 07:41 PM
power steering leak Leroy Unlisted Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) 6 12-19-2016 01:05 AM
2007 F250 transmission shifting Ford777 1999 to 2016 Super Duty 3 09-26-2016 05:11 PM
F250 hard shift even after replacing transmission. (1994 F250 7.5L E40D) *Please Help JoshuaHancock804 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 107 08-05-2016 09:32 PM
E4OD very quick 1-2 shift on my 93 F250 5.8L 4x4 whatusername 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 11 05-04-2016 10:12 PM


Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums >

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:26 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.