The New Bronco? - Page 3 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

2020 Bronco Discussion for the upcoming 2020 Ford Bronco!

The New Bronco?

Old 01-24-2018, 12:58 PM
Posting Guru

McLeod is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.McLeod is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad View Post
I highly doubt ford would ruin sales by leaking false info
Well, Ford didn't "leak" anything, otherwise it wouldn't be a leak.

Speculation has run amok [by design....] so Ford has plausible deniability in many regards.

Personally, I don't like the looks of the Everest all that much and even less for the Troller.
I really don't even like the '04 concept.

I do like the Bronco6g.com rendition though, but I still think it will somewhat resemble the 04 concept.... (I don't think Ford would allow their concept car to be used in a movie - ever notice the way Ford aggressively defends their trademarks etc...?)
Old 01-24-2018, 11:57 PM
Senior User

SDDL-UP is starting off with a positive reputation.
Troller based or Everest based - if it does not have a REMOVABLE TOP and at least an option for TWO DOORS - then it's a first generation Explorer and NOT a Bronco. This is just my opinion - as a multiple Bronco owner, and current owner of five Ford vehicles.
Old 01-25-2018, 08:16 PM
Post Fiend

Diesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDL-UP View Post
Troller based or Everest based - if it does not have a REMOVABLE TOP and at least an option for TWO DOORS - then it's a first generation Explorer and NOT a Bronco. This is just my opinion - as a multiple Bronco owner, and current owner of five Ford vehicles.
No removable top,
no solid front axles
no v8
and most likely no 2 doors

Are these things I would like to see, YES. But you and I are not the MASSES that they are making it for
Old 01-26-2018, 10:52 AM
Junior User

WorkFE is starting off with a positive reputation.
RC Pickup trucks and the Mustang are the only 2 doors, I believe.
Considering its rumored size, an eco v6 is probably its future.
Old 01-27-2018, 07:52 AM
Senior User

SuperDad is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.

hopefully it will look like this
Old 01-27-2018, 08:54 AM
Junior User

RJL1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I would imagine they would want to have a removable/soft top available to compete with the Wrangler. If they did they would take a chunk of that market, I'm sure.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:55 PM
Post Fiend

Conanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant future
Solid axles for the Bronco

OK... here is something interesting, I just saw an article over on Bronco6G that appears to suggest a confirmed report from Dana that they will be supplying front and rear solid axles for the new Bronco.. in 2021.

So here is my overactive brain at work, what if Ford reintroduces the Bronco with an IFS front end in 2020 and then offers a special edition with solid axles, elockers, oversized tires, etc as part of a complete offroad package a year later.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:47 AM
Postmaster

YoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conanski View Post
OK... here is something interesting, I just saw an article over on Bronco6G that appears to suggest a confirmed report from Dana that they will be supplying front and rear solid axles for the new Bronco.. in 2021.

So here is my overactive brain at work, what if Ford reintroduces the Bronco with an IFS front end in 2020 and then offers a special edition with solid axles, elockers, oversized tires, etc as part of a complete offroad package a year later.
That article was from a year ago. It said Dana was supplying axles or gears, but not "solid" axles.

Dana makes gearsets for both solid and independent suspensions, and makes other products (like limited slip diffs, lockers, and other drivetrain parts) also. The new Ranger has been introduced at the Detroit Auto Show and there is no solid axle on the front. Press releases confirm it has a "solid rear axle and Dana differentials".

Dana is building a huge plant in Toledo, Ohio (60 miles south of Detroit) to build axles for the 2018.5 Wrangler and they will also supply Ford the new Ranger and Bronco axles/diffs. I am hoping all of these projects succeed, but there ain't gonna be solid axles on the front of any Ranger or Bronco.
Old 02-08-2018, 04:45 PM
Freshman User

2.7EcoBoost is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad View Post
No removable top,
no solid front axles
no v8
and most likely no 2 doors

Are these things I would like to see, YES. But you and I are not the MASSES that they are making it for
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDL-UP View Post
The 2020 Explorer is reportedly going to switch back to a RWD platform. I am confused as to how Ford is going to make this work without tripping all over itself. I don't see a huge investment into the "Bronco", because it will most likely be a lower volume seller. Not really competing with the Wrangler Unlimited it will kind of be in it's own class. If the Ranger takes off in sales, I could see the Bronco getting it's plug pulled after a few years to increase Ranger production or getting the axe before it even hits market. I really like the option of a body on frame mid sized SUV, but the market isn't really there. I think Ford threw the Ranger and Bronco out there to generate enthusiasm without thinking the Bronco equation out very well....
Old 02-08-2018, 05:11 PM
Postmaster

YoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud of
Interesting news on the Explorer going to RWD. I'm guessing it will remain a unibody so it will compete with the Jeep Grand Cherokee and Dodge Durango (and be sized more like the Durango). The RWD should give it more Euro car type handling like a BMW X5 or something.

The Bronco may end up being the odd man out....but Ford continues to sell the Flex in very small numbers, and that is almost identical to the Explorer in footprint but has more of a minivan/station wagon presence.

There is a big market for SUV's and Ford is trying a lot of angles, that's for sure...

George
Old 02-08-2018, 05:20 PM
Freshman User

2.7EcoBoost is starting off with a positive reputation.
The other advantage to a RWD platform is driveline efficiency. The next Explorer will have the 10spd transmission and I think the RWD is a good thing. Speaking of Flex, I think it's done after 2018. I hope Ford goes all in on this Bronco. They talked the talk, now they need to walk it. If it has a towing capacity of 6,500 or more pounds and is a semi legit body on frame off road capable and is styled right, it will be a success. I'm just afraid they will cut corners for co$t and it will be doomed from the gate. I sure hope not, but......
Old 02-14-2018, 09:07 PM
New User

Watson300 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Iíd love to get a new Bronco. But only if itís a real Bronco (a direct competitor to the Wrangler) and not the Everest thing above. Per the Ford Social website, the Bronco will be midsize so I imagine it will share components with the Ranger. The Ranger will be getting a 2.3L EcoBoost with a 10 speed automatic (per Fordís website) so I would think the Bronco would get the same base engine/transmission combo. If it turns out to be some crossover / car based thing then itíll probably flop (and I guess that means Iíll buy a Jeep or maybe a Raptor).
Old 02-14-2018, 10:24 PM
Postmaster

The Bronco will be based on the Ranger, which is a truck, not a car. The Everest is based on the Ranger and is not a crossover. The Bronco is gonna be more like an Everest than a Jeep or an old Bronco, but only the designers know how far the looks will deviate from the Everest.

Historically, the '66 Bronco was a very small Jeep competitor but the '78 Bronco was a full sized but short SUV that was a competitor to the original big Blazer (and Dodge Ramcharger, etc.) So the Bronco was really 2 different vehicles and the large one eventually grew 2 more doors and became the Expedition (like the big Blazer became the Tahoe...)

Crossovers are based on car chassis (Ecosport=Fiesta, Escape=Focus, Edge=Fusion, Explorer/Flex=Taurus) and Ford sure doesn't need more of them.

What similarity do you find between the Jeep and the Raptor? The Raptor is twice the size of a Jeep and is a pickup...
Old 02-15-2018, 07:26 AM
New User

Watson300 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I read more on the Everest after posting and learned that it was a body over frame design. But it still doesnít have the aggressive look that a Bronco needs. An article on Bronco6g suggests that they were only testing the underpinnings with a borrowed Everest body at the moment. They mentioned Raj Nair as saying the Bronco would be unique from the Everest and that it will live up to its heritage.
I wasnít saying the Raptor is comparable to a Jeep but at least itís a Ford made for off-road (mud is my primary off road terrain). Ford did release a Ranger Raptor in Thailand so I wonder when/if weíll get that in the US.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:01 AM
Postmaster

No US announcements on the Ranger Raptor for now; Ford needs to get the Ranger on the road in the US first and go from there. But a Bronco Raptor would be really cool.

Do you really have the desire and budget to buy a new $65k F150 Raptor and drive it in the mud? Or a new $40k Bronco? Better to have a simplified beater with less electronics and plastics and a hose-out interior for mudding IMO. I think turbo intercoolers are probably also allergic to mud...

Let's hope the looks of the new Bronco make everyone happy, but my guess is that the vast differences between the old small and big Broncos is so large that the size of the new one is gonna disappoint bunches of people. And those screaming the loudest for what they want in the new Bronco are mostly not gonna be new truck buyers anyway. (How loud was the call for the 2 seat Tbird to return? How well did it do?)