Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

2018 F150 Fail to start on hill

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 01:30 PM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 238 Likes on 185 Posts
Originally Posted by eurojet
Dealer called and said Ford Canada told them to start by replacing the Starter, only issue is it is on back order (the service adviser says that should tell us something about the starter)
they are hoping to have it by Monday if it comes . I get to drive a Fusion for the next few days !!
Sorry to hear about you having parts replaced but it`s nice that they gave you a loaner vehicle until the repair is done.

Hopefully the new starter will solve your problem.

Keep us updated and enjoy the remainder of your weekend.

Old 01-23-2018, 05:30 PM
jasonk22
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2018 F-150 Disaster

Well after picking up my Ford F-150 on Friday I started to hear some odd noises from the transmission when letting off the gas, I emailed the dealer last night about what to do and then this AM headed to work I got the service your vehicle alarm on the truck..... It was flat bedded away this AM.... 3 weeks and 3 days from taking ownership and 3 times stranded. recap:
1. blown off transmission cooler line at 70 mph on I-81 in TN, 1079 miles on the truck
2. failed to start in my driveway despite having more than 1/4 tank of gas (Fords response, truck gas gauge lies and you cant park on a 3 degree grade??)
3. noises coming from transmission like grinding and whistling 2980 miles on the truck
4. "Open end Wrench" service vehicle light on, flat bedded away.... 3000 miles on the truck

The dealer has been great so far, they drove an hour to get my truck today and brought me the loaner. First class there but WOW on the new truck.........

Old 03-03-2018, 11:51 AM
jasonk22
New User
So after FORD having the truck for a week back a month ago, where they replaced the PCM as it was faulty..... they forgot to look into the transmission noises reported. Returned the truck 20 days ago and as of a week ago they said Ford was working on it as they all hear the noises but cant figure out how to fix it. On Monday it will be a whole 30 days out of two months of ownership that Ford has had my POS in the shop....... Ford should be ashamed of itself for letting this pile out of the factory. NEVER AGAIN FORD

Old 03-03-2018, 04:08 PM
jimmy-six
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Jason... Start "lemon law" proceedings now. Log everything especially the exact amount of time the car cannot be used by you or at the dealership. I've had extremely good luck with my last 4 Ford pickups but I'm a realist. Your log and ford service reciepts against their lawyer will always win in front of a judge or arbitrator. If no satisfaction I would look to GM.

Old 03-03-2018, 04:28 PM
jasonk22
New User
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jimmy-six
Jason... Start "lemon law" proceedings now. Log everything especially the exact amount of time the car cannot be used by you or at the dealership. I've had extremely good luck with my last 4 Ford pickups but I'm a realist. Your log and ford service reciepts against their lawyer will always win in front of a judge or arbitrator. If no satisfaction I would look to GM.
Already have that in motion. sadly. I have been online looking at the GMC today.... but not a big fan of the idea of getting another USA truck. I have owned 4 pickup's Chevy 1993, two Dodge 2013-2014 and a Ford 2018... so far not impressed and the GMC seems a bit behind inside. Unfortunately, the Tundra is so far behind in the styling and amenities I wouldn't consider it just as I did not when selecting the FORD, so I am out of pickup options.

Old 07-24-2018, 01:55 PM
Gold68mustang
New User
This just happened to me as well

Originally Posted by jasonk22
Already have that in motion. sadly. I have been online looking at the GMC today.... but not a big fan of the idea of getting another USA truck. I have owned 4 pickup's Chevy 1993, two Dodge 2013-2014 and a Ford 2018... so far not impressed and the GMC seems a bit behind inside. Unfortunately, the Tundra is so far behind in the styling and amenities I wouldn't consider it just as I did not when selecting the FORD, so I am out of pickup options.
To JASONK22: Mine is an ‘18 F150 screw v6 and 36 gal tank. Parked on hill pointing down. 8% grade per my dash...It stalled as I was sitting in it and wouldn’t start. Waited 2 hours and it started. Dash Said I only had 25 miles until empty, but only took 30 gallons when I filled it. I never called Ford Roadside Assist but I’m not impressed because I do a lot of backcountry driving up and down hills on single track. I’m just glad it didn’t happen in the middle of nowhere.

Old 07-24-2018, 03:19 PM
Lebowskii
Tuned
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
Jason.........How about an update since it's been 4.5 months? Have you had any more issues or are you happy with the truck now?

Old 07-24-2018, 06:28 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Mine did the same thing not long after getting the truck, I have a steep driveway and usually park nose down. Remote started, went outside and engine off. Ok, weird, try the remote again and it just cranks and stops. 60miles to empty... figured I could shift into neutral and coast down the street and sure enough it started.

So, yea. I try to keep it above 100 miles to empty or if I am lower than that I park nose up.

Old 12-15-2018, 11:46 AM
Jnibert71
New User
2017 F150 5.0 will not start on incline below 1/4 tank

I've had this issue twice First time on a 3% second on a 5+% grade. Will be consulting Ford soon.

Last edited by Jnibert71; 12-15-2018 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Update
Old 12-16-2018, 08:06 AM
wisner45
Junior User
Did you try parking rear down instead of nose down the hill and see if it starts ?

Old 12-16-2018, 10:12 AM
Jnibert71
New User
Originally Posted by wisner45
Did you try parking rear down instead of nose down the hill and see if it starts ?
It's obviously a fuel pickup location problem. I hope my hill decent works in reverse lol.

Old 01-27-2020, 10:52 AM
Joshschneid
New User
Same

Originally Posted by jasonk22
im having exact same issue this morning with my 2017 F150. Low fuel parked nose down. Although in the past with the remote start the engine shut down twice with the truck parked nose up so may be other issues. I’ll be taking to dealer if I can figure out how to get it moved or towed.

Old 01-27-2020, 05:58 PM
lg3rd
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my truck is parked in the street every day, either nose up or nose down, 10% grade and never an issue regardless of fuel level.

Old 01-27-2020, 11:29 PM
Joshschneid
New User
Originally Posted by Joshschneid
im having exact same issue this morning with my 2017 F150. Low fuel parked nose down. Although in the past with the remote start the engine shut down twice with the truck parked nose up so may be other issues. I’ll be taking to dealer if I can figure out how to get it moved or towed.
confirming this is for real. Pulled my truck out of the driveway on to level street and it started right up. Don’t park your f150 on a grade pointing downhill with low fuel! There’s a small amount of fuel in the rail(?) but if you warm up the engine or leave it idling it will shut down. I’ll be filing a formal complaint with Ford.

Old 01-28-2020, 10:25 AM
TJReams
Fleet Mechanic
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Joshschneid
confirming this is for real. Pulled my truck out of the driveway on to level street and it started right up. Don’t park your f150 on a grade pointing downhill with low fuel! There’s a small amount of fuel in the rail(?) but if you warm up the engine or leave it idling it will shut down. I’ll be filing a formal complaint with Ford.
I'm just curious, How low are you talking about. I have read in the owners manual on several different vehicles that say "if fuel is below a certain point it wont' start in a certain angled position". The according to the manual the cure was add more fuel. I consider anything below 1/4 tank as low. However back in the days of carburetors with fuel pumps on the engine not in the tank. Most would not start if parked nose up with low fuel. Even now it would be impossible to put a fuel pickup in every corner of the tank. if it got to low one would be sucking air and still wouldn't pump full.
Moral of the story put more gas in it! It's not a design problem, it's an operator problem. Oh yes I twisted wrenches for a living about 40 years, shop foreman for another 10. I have more tools in my garage than my house cost.
TJ

Quick Reply: 2018 F150 Fail to start on hill