Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

2018 F150 Fail to start on hill

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 08:52 PM
jasonk22
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 F150 Fail to start on hill

Purchased a 2018 F150 6'5" v8 36 gal Lariat 3 weeks ago. First issue was a trans cooler line blowing off at 1079 miles while doing 70 on I-81 in TN 600 miles from home. Second issue at 2700 miles was NOT starting or failing to start. Parked in driveway, on a 2-3% grade nose down. 9-10 gallons of gas in the tank. Truck was remote started, and upon getting outside 8 min later the truck was not running. Attempted a restart with the remote and shockingly sputtered and quit running. Attempted again and ran for less time but managed to record it. Seemed like fuel starvation. Rolled it off the slope into driveway on flat spot and after two attempts fired right back up. The truck according to the range in the truck and on APP was 130 miles. I filled the tank after getting it started and it took 26.5 gallons of fuel till full. Anyone else having problems starting this truck or keeping it running facing nose down on a grade with under 130 miles of range or 10 gallons of gas. Really hoping this is not a Ford design issue??? I just traded in my 2014 Ram that was going on its second trans at 57,000 miles. Was hoping for a good Ford experience but off to a TERRIBLE start.

Old 01-18-2018, 07:45 AM
shortride
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
A 2-3% grade doesn't sound like much to me. It sounds like the fuel pump was in the empty part of the tank but not likely. I don't think the 2-3% grade could cause that. A quick fix to that now that you know is to keep the fuel tank full. I also have a 36 gallon fuel tank and never let my tank get below 1/4 of a tank. I certainly would consider that a major design issue.

I think this may be a different problem.

Old 01-18-2018, 08:00 AM
jasonk22
New User
Not a steep Hill

The grade on the side of my driveway was 3% max with 10 gallons of gas in the truck. 130 mile of range. The road in front of my house is like 8-10% grade so had I parked out there I would need like 1/2 a TANK??? WTF no way. I have had a Ram 1500 the last 4 yrs and it wouldn't start if the fuel was too low (it would't attempt to start, it would blink and let you know on the dash sorry cant start not enough fuel) but would only do that when the idiot lite was on for low fuel. Other than that it started in the same spot I just parked my Ford. This thing started and sputtered and ran out of fuel. If it was at a low fuel point because of the minor hill, shouldn't the fuel float or sensor know the pump is out of the fuel and deny a remote start? Major design flaw if not.

Old 01-18-2018, 09:43 AM
pdqford
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by jasonk22
Purchased a 2018 F150 6'5" v8 36 gal Lariat 3 weeks ago. First issue was a trans cooler line blowing off at 1079 miles while doing 70 on I-81 in TN 600 miles from home. Second issue at 2700 miles was NOT starting or failing to start. Parked in driveway, on a 2-3% grade nose down. 9-10 gallons of gas in the tank. Truck was remote started, and upon getting outside 8 min later the truck was not running. Attempted a restart with the remote and shockingly sputtered and quit running. Attempted again and ran for less time but managed to record it. Seemed like fuel starvation. Rolled it off the slope into driveway on flat spot and after two attempts fired right back up. The truck according to the range in the truck and on APP was 130 miles. I filled the tank after getting it started and it took 26.5 gallons of fuel till full. Anyone else having problems starting this truck or keeping it running facing nose down on a grade with under 130 miles of range or 10 gallons of gas. Really hoping this is not a Ford design issue??? I just traded in my 2014 Ram that was going on its second trans at 57,000 miles. Was hoping for a good Ford experience but off to a TERRIBLE start.
So, what did FORD have to say?

Old 01-18-2018, 11:54 AM
jasonk22
New User
Well, as has been my experience with Dodge, the technicians no longer think or troubleshoot, they look at a computer screen and wait for the truck to lie to them. Since there were no codes reported for failing to start and stay running like 5 times in a row..... they say its all good, can't reproduce the problem. They did said they had a tech bulletin on rough running and re-flashed the PCM and ECM. I requested they drain the tank to 9-10 gallons and park it on a hill but they don't seem to want to try. I told them today in writing, that as soon as I get it back I will run it until I have 9-10 gallons and park it in the same spot, and when it doesn't run they can come flatbed it out of its failed location so they can VERIFY it doesn't start. LOL Frustrating beyond belief.

Old 01-18-2018, 02:55 PM
jasonk22
New User
Update; Dealer now has agreed to drain the fuel and attempt to duplicate the situation and are consulting with Ford directly on an open case. Will post the findings.

Old 01-18-2018, 03:58 PM
pdqford
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Purchased a 2018 F150
Was hoping for a good Ford experience but off to a TERRIBLE start.

well, ya gotta give them a chance.

Old 01-18-2018, 06:06 PM
eurojet
Freshman User
I am having a similar no start issue , my truck is a 2018 3.5eco, 10 speed, screw, 302a , just picked it up on Jan 13th, and has been at the dealer 3 times , today was the 3rd and it was towed
My truck is parked nose down on a slight grade, but it has done this non start with full or close to empty .
First time it happen it was 15th , I tried to start with FordPass did not go , then tried my key FOB would not go , I go outside and unlock and everything turns on (all lights , screens, etc...)
then when I goto start it , I hear 1 click and nothing . the only way I got it started was to boost it. I take it to Ford and they test battery and other things and fins (of course) nothing wrong .
they leave the work order open and say if it does not happen call them so they can close it. Yesterday (17th ) it happens again, but on the 3rd try to start it takes a long time to actually turn over.
(I drive to Ford and they had to schedule me in for thic coming Tuesday, drive home and call Ford to open up a case , just because this will end up turning into a nightmare . Today I go out to start it and guess what ? It does not start as you can see from the videos. I called the dealer and they said bring it in , I called roadside (whom were 1 hour late ) and had it towed . Guess what as soon as it came off the tow truck it started up , but took longer than normal to start..

So let me know what the dealer finds

Old 01-19-2018, 08:00 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 238 Likes on 185 Posts
Originally Posted by eurojet
I am having a similar no start issue , my truck is a 2018 3.5eco, 10 speed, screw, 302a , just picked it up on Jan 13th, and has been at the dealer 3 times , today was the 3rd and it was towed
My truck is parked nose down on a slight grade, but it has done this non start with full or close to empty .
First time it happen it was 15th , I tried to start with FordPass did not go , then tried my key FOB would not go , I go outside and unlock and everything turns on (all lights , screens, etc...)
then when I goto start it , I hear 1 click and nothing . the only way I got it started was to boost it. I take it to Ford and they test battery and other things and fins (of course) nothing wrong .
they leave the work order open and say if it does not happen call them so they can close it. Yesterday (17th ) it happens again, but on the 3rd try to start it takes a long time to actually turn over.
(I drive to Ford and they had to schedule me in for thic coming Tuesday, drive home and call Ford to open up a case , just because this will end up turning into a nightmare . Today I go out to start it and guess what ? It does not start as you can see from the videos. I called the dealer and they said bring it in , I called roadside (whom were 1 hour late ) and had it towed . Guess what as soon as it came off the tow truck it started up , but took longer than normal to start..

So let me know what the dealer finds

https://youtu.be/VSmcFgOFg3k

https://youtu.be/UvMP24NjZVk
Wow, that is a new vehicle because the clear film is still on the face of the radio.

Sorry to hear about the problem you`re having but based on the videos and what you wrote, that looks looks and sounds like a battery or some kind of intermittent electrical issue.

Have you gone by a local auto parts store and let them test the battery with a load on it?

I`m not saying the dealer didn`t do this but you never know if they`re just trying to get out of replacing a battery on a new truck.

I really don`t see how or why the parking angle has anything to do with these trucks not starting unless there is a fuel pickup problem or maybe even the fuel pump itself.

I`ve seen bad batteries on brand new vehicles so keep that in mind.

Let us know what happens.

Old 01-19-2018, 09:04 AM
eurojet
Freshman User
Originally Posted by GABAR
Wow, that is a new vehicle because the clear film is still on the face of the radio.

Sorry to hear about the problem you`re having but based on the videos and what you wrote, that looks looks and sounds like a battery or some kind of intermittent electrical issue.

Have you gone by a local auto parts store and let them test the battery with a load on it?

I`m not saying the dealer didn`t do this but you never know if they`re just trying to get out of replacing a battery on a new truck.

I really don`t see how or why the parking angle has anything to do with these trucks not starting unless there is a fuel pickup problem or maybe even the fuel pump itself.

I`ve seen bad batteries on brand new vehicles so keep that in mind.

Let us know what happens.
I dont think it is a incline issue , mine did it with both full/empty tank. just found someone else that had a similar issue as mine, I am now unable to take it anywhere else as it is now at the dealers , I guess I should have asked for a print out or something from the battery test results , i really hope it is a bad battery and not ending up changing Misc parts until they find out what was wrong. My worst fear is the truck being taken apart and things not going back together causing me more issues down the road

Old 01-19-2018, 09:42 AM
RainDesert
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
I just traded in my 2014 Ram that was going on its second trans at 57,000 miles.
Are you referring to the 1500 8spd?

Old 01-19-2018, 12:19 PM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 214 Likes on 180 Posts
I agree that this is not likely an incline issue. Part of our driveway has an almost 12% incline, and I've never experienced this issue when I've parked there.

Old 01-19-2018, 02:33 PM
eurojet
Freshman User
Originally Posted by GlueGuy
I agree that this is not likely an incline issue. Part of our driveway has an almost 12% incline, and I've never experienced this issue when I've parked there.

Dealer called and said Ford Canada told them to start by replacing the Starter, only issue is it is on back order (the service adviser says that should tell us something about the starter)
they are hoping to have it by Monday if it comes . I get to drive a Fusion for the next few days !!

Old 01-19-2018, 07:42 PM
jasonk22
New User
Originally Posted by RainDesert
Are you referring to the 1500 8spd?
Yes my 2014 Ram 1500 was the 8 speed. In the last 6 months the truck was in the shop 3 months! I gave up after it was having issues with the new trans, they replaced the valve body on the new trans, it didn't fix the new problems the new trans was having so I was looking at another 6 weeks in the dealer to get another trans so I gave up... best part is I had a 6 speed 2013.... it also lost a trans only in 30,000 miles. #neveragainram LOL

Old 01-19-2018, 07:56 PM
jasonk22
New User
Dealer / Ford Update: Ford responded as follows:
If the fuel level is less than approximately 1/4 tank, when the vehicle is parked on a grade, the fuel will move away from the fuel pump pick up. This will result in a low fuel pressure, which could cause rough running, stalling or a crank no start in some cases. This is not due to a defect with the vehicle, but is the result of the length of the fuel tank and the location of the fuel pump. If the vehicle must be parked on a grade, it would be recommended to maintain a fuel level greater than 1/4 tank.

MY SUMMARY: I have a $55,000 truck that has a major DESIGN FLAW in the fuel delivery system. I had 10 gallons of gas. (36 gal. tank) so I had greater than 1/4 tank.... yet that was not enough for a 3% grade....... So a brand new $55,000 vehicle if it is not parked on the Bonneville salt flats.... needs like 3/8 of a tank to guarantee starting.... I guess EXTENDED RANGE tank is a bit like false advertising.... if you could use all the gas..... you could go further..... just do not drive on any hills or you may RUN OUT OF GAS!!! Total loss for words.

Quick Reply: 2018 F150 Fail to start on hill