Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

audio system upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 01:15 PM
geoffthepilot
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
audio system upgrade

Hello Forum People. I'm looking for so detailed expert advice on how best to upgrade the audio for our trucks. Maybe some one found a link or youtube video that does this well. Ill list out some questions and some of what I know.

First, the head unit. It seems that its best to not change this as it is highly integrated into the trucks workings. Even cruchfield recommends not messing with it. The only kit ive seen even to upgrade the basic sync to the sync 3 (big screen) costs a ton of money. That is the biggest reason I bought a XLT vs the bass model.

Next would be the mid and high speakers. They will sound much better with aftermarket speakers in there on the sides and A pillar. Now if you were to power these by an amplifier, [B]How do you wire in the middle dash speaker?[B] OR is it best to leave that speaker and maybe the tweeters in the pillar running on the head unit and just power the doors by the amplifier?

Last would be the sub system. Tons of normal options and custom boxes that can work here like any other system. My question would be how the start stop engine function would affect these. without the alternator running and the high power draw from the amp does it affect the sound or hurt any electronic system? OR affect the sound?

If anyone has some good answers for these questions, I'm sure the community here would be greatly helped.

Old 01-17-2018, 04:40 PM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 236 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by geoffthepilot
Hello Forum People. I'm looking for so detailed expert advice on how best to upgrade the audio for our trucks. Maybe some one found a link or youtube video that does this well. Ill list out some questions and some of what I know.

First, the head unit. It seems that its best to not change this as it is highly integrated into the trucks workings. Even cruchfield recommends not messing with it. The only kit ive seen even to upgrade the basic sync to the sync 3 (big screen) costs a ton of money. That is the biggest reason I bought a XLT vs the bass model.

Next would be the mid and high speakers. They will sound much better with aftermarket speakers in there on the sides and A pillar. Now if you were to power these by an amplifier, [B]How do you wire in the middle dash speaker?[B] OR is it best to leave that speaker and maybe the tweeters in the pillar running on the head unit and just power the doors by the amplifier?

Last would be the sub system. Tons of normal options and custom boxes that can work here like any other system. My question would be how the start stop engine function would affect these. without the alternator running and the high power draw from the amp does it affect the sound or hurt any electronic system? OR affect the sound?

If anyone has some good answers for these questions, I'm sure the community here would be greatly helped.
What year is your F150 and whats the trim level?

Don`t put your trust in Crutchfield because they can be hit or miss.

With that being said, the only F150`s that can`t have the stock head unit removed because it`s part of the CAN-BUS system are the 2015-2017 Lariats and above that have the Premium Sony system. I`m sure this also applies to the 2018`s as well but I haven`t heard or seen any info on this.

Any trim level below the Lariats without the Premium Sony system can put in an aftermarket head unit without any problems but just remember, the dash kit alone to install an aftermarket head unit will run you over 100.00 dollars or more.

Old 01-17-2018, 10:17 PM
deserteagle69
Mountain Pass
Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by GABAR
What year is your F150 and whats the trim level?

Don`t put your trust in Crutchfield because they can be hit or miss.

With that being said, the only F150`s that can`t have the stock head unit removed because it`s part of the CAN-BUS system are the 2015-2017 Lariats and above that have the Premium Sony system. I`m sure this also applies to the 2018`s as well but I haven`t heard or seen any info on this.

Any trim level below the Lariats without the Premium Sony system can put in an aftermarket head unit without any problems but just remember, the dash kit alone to install an aftermarket head unit will run you over 100.00 dollars or more.
And you have a good source for these head units, say for an XLT??

Old 01-17-2018, 10:18 PM
geoffthepilot
Junior User
@GABAR , My Ford is a 2017 regular cab F150 XLT.

I couldn't find any dash kit that would fit an after market last I looked. That was over a year ago though. I only found the kits to upgrade to the big touch screen that were over a thousand, or the ipad flush mount kit which still was pretty pricey.

Old 01-18-2018, 07:01 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by GABAR
With that being said, the only F150`s that can`t have the stock head unit removed because it`s part of the CAN-BUS system are the 2015-2017 Lariats and above that have the Premium Sony system.
The non-Sony units are also on the CAN-BUS system. If you add the Ford KICKER subwoofer system you have to go into IDS to activate.

Which for the OP might be a good option to consider since it's a non-intrusive upgrade to the audio, plus it's start/stop compatible.

https://accessories.ford.com/electro...asy-11494.html

Old 01-18-2018, 07:22 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by deserteagle69
And you have a good source for these head units, say for an XLT??
I`m not sure what you mean about if I have a source for these head units but any double DIN head unit from the major players such as Alpine, Pioneer, Kenwwood, and Sony can be purchased from many places off and online.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-18-2018, 07:31 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Pocket
The non-Sony units are also on the CAN-BUS system. If you add the Ford KICKER subwoofer system you have to go into IDS to activate.

Which for the OP might be a good option to consider since it's a non-intrusive upgrade to the audio, plus it's start/stop compatible.

https://accessories.ford.com/electro...asy-11494.html
True but the F150`s that have the Premium Sony system are more intergrated into the vehicles SYNC 3 system and everything goes through the Sony amp not the head unit itself.

The Kicker system does nothing for the OP and his head unit concerns plus one can do much, much better going with other aftermarket products.

There are many F150`s out there with the start/stop feature that have aftermarket non Kicker systems and they operate just fine so compatibility is a non issue.

Old 01-18-2018, 07:41 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
@GABAR , My Ford is a 2017 regular cab F150 XLT.

I couldn't find any dash kit that would fit an after market last I looked. That was over a year ago though. I only found the kits to upgrade to the big touch screen that were over a thousand, or the ipad flush mount kit which still was pretty pricey.
The Metra part# 99-5834CH or the PAC part# RPK4-FD2201.

These two kits came out late last year so go to their respective websites and take a look at them.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-18-2018, 01:47 PM
geoffthepilot
Junior User
Looks like both those part numbers would work well for aftermarket head units. So we figured that part out.

I watched a bunch of videos on higher powered amp and sub installs and no one has mentioned the start stop feature. the Kicker plug and play one does mention it is compatible with that system but it seem pretty low power anyway. I think it said 100W or something like that. So I would say it is a safe bet that you can install an aftermarket amp with no big issue. I will probably use one of the not super high powered 5 channel amps just to be on the safe side. If anyone has an aftermarket setup that does make problems, please let us know.

I still have not found any one showing how they wire in the dash speaker. other than leaving it on the factory head unit. Tweeters I have seen either on the head unit or off of the door speakers.

Old 01-19-2018, 08:20 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Looks like both those part numbers would work well for aftermarket head units. So we figured that part out.

I watched a bunch of videos on higher powered amp and sub installs and no one has mentioned the start stop feature. the Kicker plug and play one does mention it is compatible with that system but it seem pretty low power anyway. I think it said 100W or something like that. So I would say it is a safe bet that you can install an aftermarket amp with no big issue. I will probably use one of the not super high powered 5 channel amps just to be on the safe side. If anyone has an aftermarket setup that does make problems, please let us know.

I still have not found any one showing how they wire in the dash speaker. other than leaving it on the factory head unit. Tweeters I have seen either on the head unit or off of the door speakers.
Glad to hear that info will work for you.

The reason that Kicker says their system will work is because it`s the same system that`s approved and offered by Ford and it can also be Purchased from Ford or Kicker.

To ease your concerns about the start/stop feature and to really answer your questions, this weekend or whenever you have time, just call or go by a local car audio shop, "NOT A BESTBUY" and talk to them. I`m sure most if not all of them know of the Kicker system you mentioned and I highly doubt any of them would recommended it.

Hope this helps.