Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Brake controller for '17 w/o trailer plug - dealer says factory tbc won't work

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 05:56 PM
Harvesterguy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake controller for '17 w/o trailer plug - dealer says factory tbc won't work

I've got a 2017 f150 without any trailer connectors. The dealer says I can't use the Ford brake controller because the wiring isn't there. They want me to put in an aftermarket controller and run a wire back to the trailer plug. I'm finding it hard to believe that the wiring isn't there but don't want to find out the hard way. Anyone got any experience with this? Thanks in advance!

Old 01-15-2018, 06:31 PM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts
I thought they all had it (the wiring). Ours had the wiring, and the plug/connector was connected to the back of the little insert that the TBC goes into (just above your right knee when sitting in the driver's seat).

Old 01-15-2018, 08:17 PM
JKBrad
Received 804 Likes on 589 Posts
Is it me, or do Ford dealers seem to be getting more incompetent when it comes to service and general knowledge of the vehicles they sell.

Old 01-15-2018, 09:20 PM
scott91370
Fleet Mechanic
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts
All the dealerships seem to be this way. My beliefs is with the internet the sales people don't take time to get to know the vehicles. Service departments don't keep track of what comes through the doors for repair and the parts department only knows what's on their computer.

OP, I would bet if you climbed under a truck in the lot with the trailer connections then under your truck you could find the correct harness. And my bet is f that is there the TBC harness is attached to the back of the cubby above your right knee like GlueGuy explained.

Old 01-16-2018, 07:56 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 238 Likes on 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Harvesterguy
I've got a 2017 f150 without any trailer connectors. The dealer says I can't use the Ford brake controller because the wiring isn't there. They want me to put in an aftermarket controller and run a wire back to the trailer plug. I'm finding it hard to believe that the wiring isn't there but don't want to find out the hard way. Anyone got any experience with this? Thanks in advance!
Just pull that insert out right above your knee and if the wiring is there, it`ll be connected to the back of that insert.

The vast majority of sales people these days only stick to the play book that`s given to them by their sales manager but their overall knowledge of the product and it`s true details or options is something that`s not important to them.

It`s strictly about moving cars off the lot......nothing more and nothing less.

Old 01-16-2018, 08:30 AM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 437 Likes on 322 Posts
Your dealership should become your ex-dealership. Call around and find one who knows how this works.

Old 01-17-2018, 03:26 PM
mroberts8899
Senior User

To those who think a dealership person should know everything about every vehicle that Ford makes. Case in point. There are 49 different dash harnesses in the Ford catalog for the 2017 F150 alone depending on what options it may or may not have. And even with the vin number Ford doesn't give enough info sometimes about the harness.

Best thing to do is remove the panel and see if a connector is taped back or has a dummy connector attached to protect the terminals.

But with that said there is an accessory kit to add a controller. Part number is: JL3Z.19H332.AA====MODULE - TRAILER BRAKE, ACCESSORY, COMPLETE KIT, PART REQUIRES IPC CONFIGURATION BY DEALER TO OPERATE, INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS AVAILABLE AT CUSTOM ACCESSORIES WEBSITE.

Old 01-19-2018, 08:45 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The problem isn't the dealer, the problem is Ford.

The OP said his truck didn't come with the trailer wiring and plug at the back of the truck.

If that's the case, Ford says there is no kit to add trailer wiring, and thus no way to add the factory TBC.

I've only seen a few dealers actually take the time of pulling a VIN on a truck equipped with the trailer tow package, and do heavy research on all the factory part numbers to piece together the trailer pin, wiring, etc needed to put a TBC in a truck that didn't come with a tow package from the factory.

So technically it can be done, but Ford tells dealers it can't. The dealers simply repeat to the customer what they are told by Ford.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:44 AM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Pocket
The problem isn't the dealer, the problem is Ford.

The OP said his truck didn't come with the trailer wiring and plug at the back of the truck.

If that's the case, Ford says there is no kit to add trailer wiring, and thus no way to add the factory TBC.

I've only seen a few dealers actually take the time of pulling a VIN on a truck equipped with the trailer tow package, and do heavy research on all the factory part numbers to piece together the trailer pin, wiring, etc needed to put a TBC in a truck that didn't come with a tow package from the factory.

So technically it can be done, but Ford tells dealers it can't. The dealers simply repeat to the customer what they are told by Ford.
What I read in the OP is
They want me to put in an aftermarket controller and run a wire back to the trailer plug.
To me, that implies that the trailer plug is there (i.e. the truck has some kind of tow package), but the TBC connector is not under the dash? Dunno. Something is fishy for sure.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:55 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by GlueGuy
What I read in the OP is To me, that implies that the trailer plug is there (i.e. the truck has some kind of tow package), but the TBC connector is not under the dash? Dunno. Something is fishy for sure.
Thread title says w/o trailer plug. Plus the first sentence said he has no trailer connections at all. That's what I was going by, but I guess we could get clarification from the OP.

Old 01-19-2018, 12:05 PM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
It certainly is incomplete, and subject to different interpretations. The OP looks like a one and done, so the rest of us will probably never know.

Old 01-19-2018, 12:06 PM
mroberts8899
Senior User
The problem is the original selling dealer. If the truck is not special ordered then in MY opinion ALL stock units for sale on the lot should have a trailer tow package. Rather have it on the truck than have to add it. Most of the time it will be cheaper when it comes from the factory.

The issue with a lot of newer Ford trucks is to "ADD trailer brakes is that the harness that the 7 pin connector attaches to is attached to tail lamp harness. and over 100 body harnesses for a F150 depending on what options it and As stated earlier about the brake controller is that there are 49 dash harnesses.

Harvesterguy.........You may want to check under the back of the truck and behind the dash to see if there is any connectors taped back against the harnesses. If not then GOOD LUCK.