2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Im sorry but i am going to have to purchase a RAM

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 07:22 PM
WorkFE
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Buliwyf
The XL's are pretty nice.
Yep, give me the STX package because I'm lazy about windows and call it a day.

Old 01-18-2018, 08:02 PM
DRKBC
Senior User
Originally Posted by Dan B.
So, we’ve come to the point where we judge our [I]Trucks[I] by the the size and scope of the electronic goo-gaws that can be optioned?
I don’t know that we judge them by options. Some people like to lift their trucks spend money on tires, rims etc., etc. others add a few options that they use and enjoy. For me I would rather have a warm steering wheel, leather seats and some electronics than big tires and rims and I don’t expect anyone to really give a rats other than me. I am sure people who lift there trucks feel the same. I say as long as your paying for it, do what you want its your money.

Old 01-18-2018, 09:49 PM
RJC2
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DRKBC
I don’t know that we judge them by options. Some people like to lift their trucks spend money on tires, rims etc., etc. others add a few options that they use and enjoy. For me I would rather have a warm steering wheel, leather seats and some electronics than big tires and rims and I don’t expect anyone to really give a rats other than me. I am sure people who lift there trucks feel the same. I say as long as your paying for it, do you want its your money.
Good point. I saw one today that had 47 Ford emblems on it plus a whole bunch of the cheap plastic stick on crap. It looked like the Dolly Parton version of a Super Duty. (sorry Dolly) I was so shocked by what he did that I didn't think to take a picture. Kinda like a bad wreck,,, you just can't look away.

"You'd be surprised how much it costs to look this cheap!" - Dolly Parton

Old 01-18-2018, 10:09 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan B.
So, we’ve come to the point where we judge our [I]Trucks[I] by the the size and scope of the electronic goo-gaws that can be optioned?
Isn't that the point of having XL up to Limited versions? So guys that type on keyboards with their knuckles can have a 4WD stick on the floor, bench seats and vinyl floors. And the city slickers that want leather and seats that give you a hand job can get the platinums and Limiteds?

Is it really hard to get the concept of person preferences? I never understand the sentiment where people are upset about others preferences.

Old 01-19-2018, 05:55 AM
RJC2
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Tricon
I never understand the sentiment where people are upset about others preferences.

Thus the reason for Wars, and everything beneath that.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:36 AM
UpInSm0kE
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by NotSoNicely
Enjoy your time spent in the shop, constantly failing ball joints that might make it 1 year if you druve less than 10,000 miles, enjoy your drive line always failing, also enjoy there crappy injection pumps, dont forget the front end is garbage. Enjoy your time spent in the shop, thats we're you'll be most, and ill be driving my 93' f150 everywhere. Im only 19, and you can also enjoy slowly going blind grom the cheap screens ram installs, they will slowly make your vision diminish. But remember you wanted a bigger screen at the cost of throwing everything else away.
Not trying to be rude but you have no idea what you are talking about. I just traded my 15 2500 6.7 with 50K miles on it and had a 13 2500 with 20K on it when I traded to the 15. "Some" people have reported problems with ball joints that decided to level their truck beyond 2" in the front, drive lines have been problematic in the Long Beds due to the Center support bearings but that was in the early Rams. There are several people on the cumminsforums with over 300K miles that have been towing with them since day 1 with regular maintenance and the only issues they have reported is water pump issues (which Ram just recalled) All the big three make good trucks it is more of people's personal preference, the reason I jumped ship to a 2017 F250 6.7 was the increase in power, love the new re-design, Ford's powertrain is superior to the 68RFE and the turbo lag in the Ram. Ram says they have 385HP and 930 Torque but only if you buy a 3500 and get the Aisin Trans (which I dont need a one ton). Ram IMO has a WAY better radio than Ford, I had the 5.0 and 8.4N in the Ram and both were superior to the Ford 4.2 and 8" sync.

With all that being said I love my Ford and do not regretting jumping ship.

Old 01-19-2018, 11:02 AM
DSLTRK60
Fleet Mechanic
Received 428 Likes on 240 Posts
Originally Posted by UpInSm0kE
Not trying to be rude but you have no idea what you are talking about. I just traded my 15 2500 6.7 with 50K miles on it and had a 13 2500 with 20K on it when I traded to the 15. "Some" people have reported problems with ball joints that decided to level their truck beyond 2" in the front, drive lines have been problematic in the Long Beds due to the Center support bearings but that was in the early Rams. There are several people on the cumminsforums with over 300K miles that have been towing with them since day 1 with regular maintenance and the only issues they have reported is water pump issues (which Ram just recalled) All the big three make good trucks it is more of people's personal preference, the reason I jumped ship to a 2017 F250 6.7 was the increase in power, love the new re-design, Ford's powertrain is superior to the 68RFE and the turbo lag in the Ram. Ram says they have 385HP and 930 Torque but only if you buy a 3500 and get the Aisin Trans (which I dont need a one ton). Ram IMO has a WAY better radio than Ford, I had the 5.0 and 8.4N in the Ram and both were superior to the Ford 4.2 and 8" sync.

With all that being said I love my Ford and do not regretting jumping ship.
I'd have to disagree about Ram's front end. For those who drive on rough surfaces, such as a contractor or utility, the AAM front axle leaves much to be desired.

Sure, IF I was a hot shot who primarily traveled the interstate, I would choose a Ram due to the excellent pulling capability of the Cummins.

But I'm not. I'm a contractor who lives and works on some of the roughest roads in the country.

From an engineering perspective, it's easy to see why the front ends on the Ram have lower expected life.

Instead of what Dana does (their inner c's and knuckles are precision machined by Busche CNC) to have both upper and lower ball joints support the load, AAM instead delegates their Mexican factory to produce an axle that is cheaper. Having a floating kingpin joint means there is no upper precision required. It means the axle is designed to have 100% of the weight on the lower joint, to save them money, and not the end user money.

I've driven a 14 Ram 2500, the joints had 0.2'' of play, (over double the maximum Ram specifies) at just 40k miles. Tires were also feathering at the edges. GM vehicles with their IFS last longer than that in our environment...

Old 01-19-2018, 11:16 AM
UpInSm0kE
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DSLTRK60
I'd have to disagree about Ram's front end. For those who drive on rough surfaces, such as a contractor or utility, the AAM front axle leaves much to be desired.

Sure, IF I was a hot shot who primarily traveled the interstate, I would choose a Ram due to the excellent pulling capability of the Cummins.

But I'm not. I'm a contractor who lives and works on some of the roughest roads in the country.

From an engineering perspective, it's easy to see why the front ends on the Ram have lower expected life.

Instead of what Dana does (their inner c's and knuckles are precision machined by Busche CNC) to have both upper and lower ball joints support the load, AAM instead delegates their Mexican factory to produce an axle that is cheaper. Having a floating kingpin joint means there is no upper precision required. It means the axle is designed to have 100% of the weight on the lower joint, to save them money, and not the end user money.

I've driven a 14 Ram 2500, the joints had 0.2'' of play, (over double the maximum Ram specifies) at just 40k miles. Tires were also feathering at the edges. GM vehicles with their IFS last longer than that in our environment...
Totally agree with you that certain uses would incline someone to pick one over the other but for someone just to say that they are crap and will be in the shop all the time is not accurate. I did experience the feathering on the outside of the tires that you mentioned on my 2015.

Old 01-19-2018, 03:04 PM
LOWRPMTORQUE
Senior User
Originally Posted by DSLTRK60

Just out of curiosity how long does the GM IFS hold up in your environment? Also, it seems that the IFS would be easier for a diy fix than the Ram AAM. No doubt the Dana axle on the Ford is the best on the market.

Old 01-19-2018, 03:22 PM
Buliwyf
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
IFS eats tie rod ends in my area. Generally, pot holes and GM's don't get along so well. It's hard to get an accurate figure, I've seen Dodge and Ford guys eat the joints in just 1 yr due to hard use and knucklehead behavior.

Old 01-19-2018, 06:35 PM
RJC2
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Buliwyf
IFS eats tie rod ends in my area. Generally, pot holes and GM's don't get along so well. It's hard to get an accurate figure, I've seen Dodge and Ford guys eat the joints in just 1 yr due to hard use and knucklehead behavior.
Around here, the farmers that work their Chevy trucks on the farm have regular problems with keeping wheel bearings in them. My Buddy had them go out on his new Duramax at 36,300 miles. GM refused to replace them under the 36,000 mile warranty. It cost him $700 for new bearings. He's a "GM lifer" so no matter what they do, he'll keep wearing a bow tie.

Old 01-20-2018, 08:49 PM
barry1me
Senior User
Originally Posted by Jde2466
The obviously you haven’t used the UConnect system. I go by actual usage not what some website said. The UConnect system is faster and the maps are better. The system is just a better all around system. Sync has just gotten to be tolerable with Sync 3. Use each daily and the difference is clear.
I have to agree with you. I had a 16 ram, then a 17 Raptor, and now a 18 Charger GT for work. The Uconnect is way better then Ford Sync 3...The infotainment system and Ergos of the Ram are what keep me liking Ram trucks.The Apple car play works better with Uconnect then the Sync 3 also. I got annoyed when I connected my iphone to my 17 Raptor my factory nav would disappear and it would force you to use your phones Nav through Carplay...With Uconnect you can keep Factory Nav up and use Apple car play if you want. I hated my 17 Raptor interior layout, and the infotainment and dash. Pretty sad that a HD truck can show engine coolant, trans temp, oil temp, and boost all on one page and with actual numbers not a sweeping gauge.

Im a ford Guy at heart, but Im not brand loyal. 2019 Silverado and Ram will definatly put a dent in F series sales for 2018 CY.

Old 01-20-2018, 10:25 PM
RainDesert
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by barry1me
The Uconnect is way better then Ford Sync 3...
I'm a Ford guy, and I thought this was common knowledge. I'm OK with Ram being better at some stuff over a Ford, just not Chevy.

Old 01-21-2018, 11:08 AM
roadpilot
Laughing Gas
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Tricon
.... leather and seats that give you a hand job can get the platinums and Limiteds?
Time for me to have a conversation with my salesman. He never told me about this option ...

Old 01-21-2018, 11:41 AM
DRKBC
Senior User
Originally Posted by roadpilot
Time for me to have a conversation with my salesman. He never told me about this option ...
Those long drives do get lonely. I heard Ford was making money hand over fist on these new trucks I guess I just didn't put the two together.

Quick Reply: Im sorry but i am going to have to purchase a RAM