V10 Or Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 01:37 AM
digitalsleep
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
V10 Or Diesel

Hello All,

New Here, I have decided to get an Excursion, I am getting the impression I should be getting a power stroke diesel over a V10, I am under the impression the engines are more reliable? Can someone straighten me out?
Additional question, what should I plan on paying? I was thinking under 15k, I was hoping for an 05 does this sound reasonable?

Thanks for any help

Old 01-15-2018, 05:40 AM
unleashd
Fleet Mechanic
Received 69 Likes on 44 Posts
Welcome to the FTE. Please take a moment to fill out your profile and provide some more information about your utility of the EX in order to get a more accurate feedback. Also, if you search the various sub-forums here, there is a ton of information that you can gather for yourself too.

Old 01-15-2018, 06:03 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 838 Likes on 577 Posts
Originally Posted by digitalsleep
Hello All,

New Here, I have decided to get an Excursion, I am getting the impression I should be getting a power stroke diesel over a V10, I am under the impression the engines are more reliable? Can someone straighten me out?
Additional question, what should I plan on paying? I was thinking under 15k, I was hoping for an 05 does this sound reasonable?

Thanks for any help

Welcome to the EX forum!
We can offer a lot of advice blindly, but like said above, giving us some more info on how you plan to use the new wagon will help us to give better advice based on your plans.
How familiar are you with the 6.0 PSD, or diesel trucks in general?
The diesels offer a lot more power/torque and can be modded to deliver truly impressive performance for a large heavy rig. BUT, "with great power comes great responsibility." They need to be treated correctly and monitored to ensure good health.
On the other hand, the V-10 is dead nuts simple and very reliable as built. It is also very capable to handle some heavy work if mated with some deeper gears. The factory optioned 4.30 gear ratio provides the "sweet spot" for these engines to rev a little higher where they make their best power. My V-10 is our dedicated tow rig for our 11,300lb TT and it handles that job pretty well.
Both engines are the "right choice", but to make the right choice for your application requires some education on the different engines and their unique characteristics.
I think that finding a good condition, healthy 6.0 EX for under $15K may be a challenge, and many PSD owners advise to keep some money tucked away to deal with any issues after the purchase.

Old 01-15-2018, 09:23 AM
bwguardian
Fleet Mechanic
Received 152 Likes on 126 Posts
If you're looking for an 05, then it will be the 6.0L diesel. If you are up for the earlier 00-03, then it will be the 7.3L diesel. The V-10 is offered in all these and is good but it is thirsty. Also, are you looking for a 2wd or 4wd? If you can find a 7.3L 2wd chances are it was a grocery getter...like my wifes...and has had a relatively easy life. I do have a friend that has an 05 with just over 200K on it in really good shape. He just spent $13K in it to "bullet proof" it and is asking $17K...makes no sense to me but it's his decision.

Old 01-15-2018, 12:30 PM
thor363
Fleet Mechanic

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts
I bought a v10 2003 4x4 Ex, and have gone through all the suspension and mechanicals with a fine tooth comb. She's bee perfect for towing locally, and we just had a 1000+ mile ride to Ontario and back to see family. Mileage was a averaging around 12.5 all told. I can't complain because the v10 is much less costly that bulletproofing a 6 o_O. However, with that in mind, I ALWAYS planned to replace the v10 with a 6bt Cummins conversion in the near future, but may wait until the old v10 tosses in the towel. In the meantime, I just accumulate the conversion parts while I wait. We pull a travel trailer which the Ex does as if it's not even there. It's dry weight is 5289 but loaded I'm sure much more. At least with the Ex we know we can pull more, and pull it safely. The Cummins is only being done for overall reliability, and also because we plan to travel cross country a lot in the near future and the stock 3.73 gears lend well to that motor. If I didn't have a TT, I wouldn't even bother with the Cummins as the v10 has plenty of power for the milder east coast mountains and the only real expense is gas. We'll see as this year progresses as to how soon I want to do the conversion but for now she remains gas and reliable. Tom above has the epitome of what a gas Ex would be set up for towing, as for me, I'm straddling the lines on diesel or gas in the future.

Old 01-15-2018, 12:57 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 943 Likes on 685 Posts
Hello All,

Can someone straighten me out?

Thanks for any help

Nothing really to straighten out. Like Tom suggests, let us know your needs.

You seem to be a guy who likes to sleep on big decisions

Attached Images  
Old 01-15-2018, 01:07 PM
thor363
Fleet Mechanic

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts
Neither the v10 or the diesel option is this at least.

Attached Images  
Old 01-15-2018, 01:55 PM
Deagle12
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by thor363
I bought a v10 2003 4x4 Ex, and have gone through all the suspension and mechanicals with a fine tooth comb. She's bee perfect for towing locally, and we just had a 1000+ mile ride to Ontario and back to see family. Mileage was a averaging around 12.5 all told. I can't complain because the v10 is much less costly that bulletproofing a 6 o_O. However, with that in mind, I ALWAYS planned to replace the v10 with a 6bt Cummins conversion in the near future, but may wait until the old v10 tosses in the towel. In the meantime, I just accumulate the conversion parts while I wait. We pull a travel trailer which the Ex does as if it's not even there. It's dry weight is 5289 but loaded I'm sure much more. At least with the Ex we know we can pull more, and pull it safely. The Cummins is only being done for overall reliability, and also because we plan to travel cross country a lot in the near future and the stock 3.73 gears lend well to that motor. If I didn't have a TT, I wouldn't even bother with the Cummins as the v10 has plenty of power for the milder east coast mountains and the only real expense is gas. We'll see as this year progresses as to how soon I want to do the conversion but for now she remains gas and reliable. Tom above has the epitome of what a gas Ex would be set up for towing, as for me, I'm straddling the lines on diesel or gas in the future.
I don't want to highjack this, but I've been seeing the Cummins conversions a lot lately. Is there a resource that goes over a little bit of what's involved in going from the v10, or is it one of those things where if you have to ask you already can't do it

Old 01-15-2018, 04:20 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by Deagle12
I don't want to highjack this, but Is there a resource that goes over a little bit of what's involved in going from the v10,
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ns-o-pics.html

Old 01-15-2018, 06:55 PM
luisv
Junior User
Hello All,

Thanks for any help
I’ve had both. In fact, I have both now. I just went to the Power Stroke 6.0L 2005. I am in the process of selling the V10 now and setting up the diesel how I want it.

Read up on them and, as mentioned above, give us some idea of what your needs/use will be.

For me, I wanted the diesel for two main reasons. First is longevity/dependability and second was for value that would support the money I am going to spend to bring it up to snuff. I am planning to update the interior, upgrade some things on the engine and, update some other components around the truck. Since the diesel versions tend to be about double the price of the V10, it makes me feel better sinking some money into it.

In terms of price, expect to pay about $10K for a good V10. Expect to pay between $16K and $20K between, at a dealership. Some folks are looking for crazy money on the diesels. Shop around until you find the deal that’s for you. I’ve seen 59K mile trucks with great interiors and body but with heavy rust on the frame, suspension, axles and even the trailer hitch. They painted with undercoating to cover it up. In short, shop and go look at a few trucks.

Old 01-15-2018, 07:37 PM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
Received 2,136 Likes on 563 Posts
Too slow around here for somebody?

I'll nibble. I've been on here since I got my EX in 2011. My observation strictly from reading the forum is the V10 is far more trouble free than any of the oil burners. They are a tiny percentage of what was made, yet every day somebody is overhauling some part, fixing some leak, or proudly installing some aftermarket part$$$ to make up for a shortcoming in the original. Meanwhile the V10 hums along and with reasonable oil changes will likely go well over 200K with no problem. Even if it blows up, a replacement is far less than the cost of a head gasket job on a 6.0.

That said, many folks just WANT a diesel and nothing else will do. In that case, go for it!

Old 01-15-2018, 09:31 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Lots of good points in this thread. As everyone else has said, your intended usage of the vehicle is really the biggest factor to consider. If you just want something simple and reliable to haul kids and groceries around (no judgement here), then a 5.4L or a V10 if you want that extra oomph (they get about the same mileage) is probably what you want.

On the other hand, if you want to buy a capable tow vehicle for a 10,000# travel trailer that also happens to be an SUV and you like mountains and high altitudes, then a diesel might be a better choice if you also happen to be the type who likes to tinker and work on vehicles from time to time, or are at least willing to pick up a wrench and learn.

If you plan on taking it to a repair shop for everything, do not buy a diesel that's out of the factory warranty. They are just too expensive to maintain and too difficult to find competent people to work on them, at least based on what I've read in this forum.

Seriously, read that again. If you plan paying someone else to work on a 7.3L or 6.0L, then you are better off buying a new truck. It will be nearly the same cost in the end, and you will still have a much older truck.

A V10 powered truck is arguably just as capable of a vehicle as a diesel powered one. Where a diesel really shines is in the mountains pulling steep grades with heavy loads. There is nothing unreliable about V10s. They are solid, reliable motors from everything I've read.

So again (and I know I'm rambling) it all comes down to what you are willing to put into the truck and what you expect it to do for you.

Old 01-16-2018, 02:14 AM
digitalsleep
New User
Thanks to all of you.
really appreciate you all taking the time to chime in. So my intended use case is just to have a very capable reasonably price truck. I don’t plan on towing anything at least for now. I hope to be able to do some of the maintenance and upgrades myself. I would like to do a super duty conversion. And air bag suspension.
I would prefer reliability and getting a good deal.

Old 01-16-2018, 06:35 AM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

I’m certain there are some well-maintained 5.4 and 6.8l Excursions out there still.

These vehicles are a lot of fun on outings with room for the entire family.

Attached Images  
Old 01-17-2018, 10:29 AM
seijirou
Cargo Master
Received 391 Likes on 240 Posts
The 6.8 is extremely reliable. I'd put it 2nd only to the legendary 300 straight 6 and it may yet surpass it because the story of the 6.8 isn't over yet.

Consider this, you can go buy a new truck right now with the 6.8 in it. The 6.8 has seen engines come and go, and it's still being produced and put in new vehicles. It's a great platform.

If you wanted an X that you could keep for the rest of your life, the 6.8 has the best chance at that. With the diesels some stuff we can only get as used rebuilds, new parts aren't being made any more. Completely brand new 6.8's from intake to oil pan are still being produced right now.

Quick Reply: V10 Or Diesel