Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cummins Excursion Conversion Perversion | 24V P-PUMPED Cummins in a 2004 Excursion TON's O' PICS

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 10:58 AM
Oldguyfl
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Cummins Excursion Conversion Perversion | 24V P-PUMPED Cummins in a 2004 Excursion TON's O' PICS

OK, here we go.

Lets start off with the purchase of the 2004 4X4 Excursion purchase. Started with this bone stock, mechanically well maintained V10 2004 4X4 EB Excursion.

Mechanically it had all the the maintenance done to it as needed with good books and records to back it up.

Florida truck it's whole life in the Jacksonville area.

Body was/is straight as an arrow and rust free with no carfax issues noted.

When I got it though it was dirty and grimy. The PO was not the cleanest person in regards to washing and cleaning.

The backs of the drivers headrests had holes where the PO had removed TV screens, carpet smelled like an old lady who DUMPED perfume on her as well as being stained.

The outside had not been, washed or waxed for a year or two it seemed. Surface was dull, interior was dirty.

In other words PERFECT for this 24V P-Pump Cummins engine conversion!

I'll go thru the list of upgrades done to the vehicle in the next post with pictures. In the meantime, here's how it looked the day I brought it home, and this picture makes it look good!

Old 06-22-2017, 11:30 AM
EXSwap
Fleet Mechanic
Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts
Subscribed! Can't wait!!!

Old 06-22-2017, 11:44 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Subscribed.

Stewart

Old 06-22-2017, 12:12 PM
wizkid00104
Cargo Master
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Subscribed!

Old 06-22-2017, 06:55 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
8 hours and no new posts/pics? The masses demand to be fed here, Old Guy....

Old 06-22-2017, 08:38 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I actually went back to see if this was another one of Jon's (Apoc) teaser threads..

Old 06-23-2017, 06:55 AM
Oldguyfl
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Nicmike
8 hours and no new posts/pics? The masses demand to be fed here, Old Guy....
Today there will be a post. Trying to be as comprehensive as possible

Originally Posted by Misky6.0
I actually went back to see if this was another one of Jon's (Apoc) teaser threads..
Nope, real

Old 06-23-2017, 08:40 AM
rock2610d
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Why oh why would you pull a good V10 out of this gem just to put a diesel in it?

Ok, I'm intresred in the swap I have to admit, but a brand new 2014 V10 motor will last over 200,000 miles and their cheaper to maintain.

Still diesels are cool, and add value so I can't wait to see the outcome and COST.

Old 06-23-2017, 09:46 AM
copsey
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rock2610d
Why oh why would you pull a good V10 out of this gem just to put a diesel in it?

Ok, I'm intresred in the swap I have to admit, but a brand new 2014 V10 motor will last over 200,000 miles and their cheaper to maintain.

Still diesels are cool, and add value so I can't wait to see the outcome and COST.
You can get 7-800 HP out of those 24v p-pumped motors pretty easily. Reliable as a hammer for most part too.

Old 06-23-2017, 10:08 AM
rock2610d
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by copsey
You can get 7-800 HP out of those 24v p-pumped motors pretty easily. Reliable as a hammer for most part too.
Yes, I agree if you do alot of towing diesels are unstoppable. If you don't tow a forged piston and rod built turbocharged V10 will break just as much as a diesel. I'm pushing 500 hp with mine and have to be careful.

I am very intrested in this build, I immediately think of things like: hydroboost conversion, which I have done it's easy, and adding a vacuum pump and associated wiring, and getting transmission to play nice when pcm is not running motor, and keeping check engine light off with no evac system, and wow it's going to be alot of hard work. I can appreciate the challenge and look forward to seeing this build take shape.

Old 06-23-2017, 10:48 AM
jayjordon
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Subscribed, gotta see this...

Old 06-23-2017, 12:25 PM
gots_a_sol
Elder User
adding a vacuum pump and associated wiring,

I'm not sure what OP is going to run yet but the Cummins' in Dodges have a vacuum pump driven off of the timing gears, which in turn has the power steering pump bolted to the back side of it.

and keeping check engine light off with no evac system,
Sticker on the gauge cluster Ok ok, I don't have that, but one of these days I need to yank the cluster and put a vacuum cap or something over the bulb. I pulled codes on mine once after the swap and there are pages of them

and getting transmission to play nice when pcm is not running motor,
Manual trans solves all! But there are stand alone computers for pretty much any electronic automatic he chooses to go with.

Folks have been putting these engines in everything for a while now, most issues that can come up have already and been solved.

Old 06-23-2017, 03:56 PM
Oldguyfl
Posting Guru

I am very intrested in this build, I immediately think of things like: hydroboost conversion, which I have done it's easy, and adding a vacuum pump and associated wiring, and getting transmission to play nice when pcm is not running motor, and keeping check engine light off with no evac system, and wow it's going to be alot of hard work. I can appreciate the challenge and look forward to seeing this build take shape.
The transmission will play very nice as its a Dodge 47RH. What that is a 4 speed OD tranny running a NP241 TC.

There are NO electronics on either the engine of transmission that would keep it from getting to its destination.

Originally Posted by gots_a_sol
I'm not sure what OP is going to run yet but the Cummins' in Dodges have a vacuum pump driven off of the timing gears, which in turn has the power steering pump bolted to the back side of it.

Sticker on the gauge cluster Ok ok, I don't have that, but one of these days I need to yank the cluster and put a vacuum cap or something over the bulb. I pulled codes on mine once after the swap and there are pages of them

Manual trans solves all! But there are stand alone computers for pretty much any electronic automatic he chooses to go with.

Folks have been putting these engines in everything for a while now, most issues that can come up have already and been solved.
Correct, vac pump driving the VAC booster, no hydro on this one, at least for now unless its needed.

As to the CEL, its going to be on, might pull the bulb or paint it over. Don't really want a sticker, but might.

Old 06-23-2017, 04:22 PM
Oldguyfl
Posting Guru
OK, so I am going to post this project in stages as follows.

1. Updating and getting the Excursion ready to install the cummins and transmission
2. Motor work and specs
3. Transmission work and specs
4. Installation in the vehicle
5. Testing, vids, pictures etc.

Let's start with the Excursion. As you all might know it is a 2004 Eddie Bauer with pretty much all the options including heated and memory seats, adjustable pedals etc. I think the only thing it does not have is the overhead video console like the limited.

Here's what has been done to it so far.

Mechanical
  • 3"-4" Lift, NO blocks, all spring lift
  • ATS Modded C code rear springs
  • ATS Modded B code front springs with a rating to carry the extra weight of the cummins
  • Bilstein Shocks all around for the lift.
  • Bilstein front steering damper
  • All new hardware to install the springs.
  • Adjustable track bar
  • Changed front and rear differentials with Royal Purple
  • Changed transfer case oil
  • Changed engine oil
  • Changed transmission fluid
  • New Front PS brakes, pads, calipers etc
  • New rear brake pads
  • Complete brake fluid flush
  • 2" Stahl hub/wheel centric STEEL spacers
  • New set of 2016 F250 Aluminum wheels with new Michelin tires.
  • New fuel pump in tank
  • New MAF, FPR, AI
Some of the things I did above for the V10 was to make it run properly as I am still going to drive it until the day of the install.

As to the rest of the suspension, PO just did ball joints, rod ends and other front suspension parts 2K miles ago.

I also greased the inner hub bearings as I bought a "traveling" zerk.

Body
  • New 2016 Rear Bumper
  • New backup sensor brackets.
  • New 05-07 front bumper, both pieces
  • New Air Dam
  • New Fog lights
  • New headlights
  • New inner weatherstrip on DS rear door
  • New (used) outer weatherstrip in PS rear door due to window pinching it and deforming it.
  • Removed roof rack completely
  • Had both bumpers painted and color matched as best it can be.
  • Sanded, polished body panels, then waxed
  • 08 Mirrors
This vehicle shines like new. 2 coats of wax as well

Interior
  • Gutted the entire interior, including the headliner. Did not remove dash base though
  • Touched up some fading on door panel tops
  • Installed new ACC carpet and padding.
  • Installed new Seat Shop complete front and middle row covers in 2005 black and tan color combo
  • Repainted dash bezel and surround black
  • Repainted door panel switch covers and armrests black
  • Repainted all the plastic parts around seats black
  • Installed and painted 650 dash with custom touches
  • Painted the cupholders on the CC to match
  • Ripped out 100's of feet of and old stereo installation.
  • Repaired the factory harness to spec from the radio removal
  • Added all new wiring to the amp and speakers.
  • Added a 1000 W amp
  • New Weathertech matts
The interior now smells like a new car with the leather overtones, nice.

Did not recover the 3rd row seat to match, though I might dye it later. It is in storage, all wrapped up as I don't use it

The next post will have the images and updates as outlined above. I have to organize all the pictures and take a few more to round this out.

Old 06-23-2017, 08:10 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,188 Likes on 816 Posts
Subscribed, this is the beginning of something that should of been there from Factory.

Quick Reply: Cummins Excursion Conversion Perversion | 24V P-PUMPED Cummins in a 2004 Excursion TON's O' PICS