Help with my distributor - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck

Help with my distributor

Old 01-15-2018, 02:23 PM
MShepherd2
New User
MShepherd2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Help with my distributor

Hello everyone. I have a 1977 F100 Shortbed 3 speed automatic with a 302 engine that I recently purchased. I had to remove the distributor to change the intake manifold so I could install a 4 barrel Carb. I had trouble with the distributor when pulling it out but knew that it can be tricky coming out if it hasn't come out in a while. I went to put the distributor back in after finding top dead center yesterday and the distributor got stuck and is about half an inch to an inch from being completely in. Now it will not come out or go down further. Does anyone know how I can get it back out and why I might be having the problem getting it back in?

Old 01-17-2018, 12:39 AM
Ozzie H.
Elder User
Ozzie H. is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by MShepherd2 View Post
Hello everyone. I have a 1977 F100 Shortbed 3 speed automatic with a 302 engine that I recently purchased. I had to remove the distributor to change the intake manifold so I could install a 4 barrel Carb. I had trouble with the distributor when pulling it out but knew that it can be tricky coming out if it hasn't come out in a while. I went to put the distributor back in after finding top dead center yesterday and the distributor got stuck and is about half an inch to an inch from being completely in. Now it will not come out or go down further. Does anyone know how I can get it back out and why I might be having the problem getting it back in?
On my 460 I used a pair of coupling nuts and appropriate length bolts to "press" the distributor out. After it was removed I cleaned the mating surfaces of the distributor & engine and applied some anti-seize compound before replacing the distributor.

Old 01-20-2018, 11:50 AM
LittleBlue79
Senior User
LittleBlue79 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Issues getting it in: Maybe the oil pump shaft isn't lining up properly with the bottom of the distributor?
Issues getting it out: Not a clue, possibly got it jammed next to the oil pump shaft? But I wouldn't think that is possible.

That's my only guess.

Old 01-20-2018, 04:05 PM
1TonBasecamp
Posting Guru
1TonBasecamp is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
For getting it back out I would start spraying some penetrating lube in there just in case it's just some gunk that's catching it.
Or better yet, perhaps some carburetor cleaner instead. That way if it's burned-on chunks of old oil gunk, it will help dissolve it a bit.

It's possible that it's stuck on the oil pump shaft itself. Any buildup of stuff inside the bore and on the old shaft can get sticky, and if it's at a slight angle i can see it binding up a bit.
While it's stuck in place, can you turn the rotor at all?
If you can, then it's not engaging the shaft or the cam gear. If you can't, then it's engaged with at least one of them, if not both.

Oh, I forgot to ask. Can you even turn the housing, or is it jammed up that way completely? If so, that's probably good news as the cleaner and penetrating lube might have some luck. Maybe an old o-ring or something is cocked off in the bore.

But if (when!) you do get it out, I would definitely clean things up in there some more.

And I have to ask, did you really need to turn the engine over AFTER you removed the distributor? The reason I ask is that it's much easier to find TDC while the distributor is in place. Or at least close enough.
And you really don't need TDC for the distributor install if you just put it back in the same way you got it out without moving the engine. If you needed to turn the engine over after the fact anyway, then there's nothing for it but to do it. It happens.
It's just easier to do when it's in place is all.

But then... You probably know that already!

Good luck.

Paul

Old 01-20-2018, 04:06 PM
72rtchallenger
Senior User
72rtchallenger is starting off with a positive reputation.
If you still havent gotten it out as I see this post is a few days old,, It may help to put a ratchet on lower pulley and just rock back an forth a little,,do not completely turn the motor over just back an forth a little to help free up and see if it helps get it back out,,then clean it up on bottom as earlier post describes . Its binding up as some will do over the years,,and buildup can make it hard to remove or install ,, an 1TonBasecamp is correct in his post

Old 01-20-2018, 06:20 PM
jakeharp
Elder User
jakeharp is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Yup

Just put a dizzy in my truck on Friday, dont panic, its all about that perfect push pull. Like stated above you may need to turn the motor a hair by hand. Also turn the rotor from the top back and forth as much as it will let you...

Ive done this so many times with my truck its like a a high school dance, in the beginning your freakin out, by the time its over its not a big deal .... I have got in to the habit of lathering the lower portion of the dizzy with motor oil b4 re-installing, just to make things a little easier...

Old 01-21-2018, 06:36 AM
XSoph
Senior User
XSoph is starting off with a positive reputation.
When you do get it out, I would stop by the nearest parts shop and ask for a little bottle of assembly lube or cam lube. It will cling to the distributor gear while you are trying to finesse it into place.