Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK Building my 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 10:04 PM
Building_Fords
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, thanks all. I am going to stay with the AOD and 302 for now. That way I won't need to reinvent my electrical ECU etc.. But I do have a couple of questions.... (again, I am not actually working on th truck yet, just doing a lot of research) Does this truck have dual tanks? There is only one tank on it right now, the midship tank is there. I do see an electrical connection for a rear tank... so I am assuming it was removed at some point... Also, is there anyway to tell what Trim level the truck? The body ll looks original, but the emblems have been peeled off... I think I'll be able to look at one of them and tell if I pull it out of the garage... But as of now I can't see anything on the Door info panel, or on an old insurance card I found in the Glove compartment... Looking on Line I see a million configurations.. What I know is, 1990, F-150, 4x4, 302/AOD, 133'' Wheelbase, Standard Cab, Tilt Steering and I believe dual tanks... Any advice helps...I really hadn't planned to start working on it heavily for awhile.... Bu for me, this is better than Christmas! I love starting rough like this and making something out of it!

Old 01-18-2018, 05:52 AM
My4Fordtrucks
Lead Driver
Received 1,365 Likes on 1,078 Posts
Originally Posted by Building_Fords
OK, Hi all... After weighing my options, I have bought a 1990 F-150 4x4 to build......it also has no engine, transmission, transfer case, or driveshafts. Not a big issue, just want to pick what I want to put in.
I’m a little confused. In your first post you were going to pick what you want to put in or your “build.” I just seems like you are installeding what the factory originally had. Personally I would go with the stroked 351W and a ZF5 or a built AOD. You could use a stronger transfer case than the 1356 although I have never had any issues with mine. Going back with the stock components will be cheaper

Is there another fuel door on the bed or only one? Is there a switch to toggle between the front and rear tank? As far as the trim level, what do the badges on the fender and the dash say and are they the same?

I spoke with my friend and he confirmed that the VEIP program changed this year so it would be emissions exempt although he has not received anything about his truck.

Old 01-18-2018, 07:42 AM
'89F2urd
Lead Driver
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts
I agree with the above, unless a 302 fell into the truck by accident, I'd go with a 351.

Old 01-18-2018, 11:38 AM
Building_Fords
Senior User
Hey all, sorry for the confusion... I want to rebuild the truck first and then I may make some changes later. Right now it is just the shell... I need the engine, tranny, transfer case, at least 1 fuel tank, my instrument cluster... a rear window and that's just what is obvious... I like having my I300 4.9L, IN THE 2wd... and would like to have a 302 in this one.... The other engine I would really like is the 351C... but I need to get this rebuilt, including all the stuff under the hood first... make sure it's running good and then maybe mod the engine/tranny... That said I am going to build it with a 2" suspension lift when I put it back together... which will allow me to put some nicer wheels and tires on it when its done...

Old 01-18-2018, 11:54 AM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts
If the truck originally had dual tanks it will have two filler doors on the driver's side of the bed. One filler door means one tank originally (at least originally on the truck that bed came from). I wouldn't be confident that electrical connectors mean it originally had dual tanks. I could easily see Ford deciding to use the same wiring harness regardless of number of tanks.

If you really want to know how your truck started off, you can buy a build sheet for it from Marti Auto Works. I've never done it, but I guess you give them your VIN (and credit card) and they give you a bunch of archived info on your exact truck.

Regarding engine choice, it's always simplest doing an engine replacement rather than an engine swap. If you had a complete 302 / AOD truck it would be easiest and cheapest to put a new 302 and a new AOD in rather than swapping in something different. If your truck is complete except for the engine and trans, then it's the same situation except that the removal is already complete.

But if anything other than the engine and trans were removed, then you're going to need to figure out what it was and replace it as well. The more of that there is, the more like a swap this will be instead of just a simple replacement. If you're getting into that situation it might not be a lot harder to go with a 351W to start with.

And regardless of how much else was removed, if you ever want to put a bigger engine in it, this is the time to do it.

Old 01-18-2018, 12:15 PM
Building_Fords
Senior User
Thanks

Thanks for the info, you're right, I have 2 fuel doors but then again my 87 has 2 fuel doors and is only set up for one tank.... ( I replaced the bed on it).... I like a 302,. But have never actually had one on a Ford.... and your right again, I am not sure what else I will need just yet.... I am going to pull the bench and carpet out of the cab this week.... Apparently cats were using it as their litter box for some time, and then go over the truck wiring and existing parts to figure out just what I'll need. I'm not terribly warried about going with a bigger engine, just want to get it back to a good dependable truck...I'll take some pics this weekend so you can see what I'm working with..

Old 02-09-2018, 08:03 PM
Building_Fords
Senior User
OK all, Well I guess I am a glutten for Punishment.... While looking for a Donor Truck for MY 90 XLT Longbed... I found a 90 F150 4X4 SHORT BED.... Everything is ok except the engine (302) and I have already bought a good 302....Soooooo I am building the short bed... I have always wanted a short bed and since I already have the other truck, the only thing this ne really needs is body.... The Fenders are toast, and sthe bet is beat to heck... but I found a bed that I am getting tomorrow..... I could put it on the road in a couple of weeks, but I am going to tear it down and clean it up first.... Which leaves me with a problem. I have the 90 XLT Longbed, complete body (minus the fenders which I am using)... And I don't have anywhere to keep a parts truck.... Does anyone need one? Cab is fine, Doors are fine Bed is fine... a few dents of course.... but almost ne rust... I am saking because I just can't stand to scrap it... Just let me know if you need something