Notices
2015+ F150 Discuss the 2015 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem that needs tech help

Old 01-14-2018, 11:54 AM
Greenie326
Freshman User
Greenie326 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Problem that needs tech help

Having a problem with my 2018 Lariat with 3.5 eco engine. When gently pressing the gas pedal there is a ticking noise that seems to be coming from the area of the gas pedal itself or a little higher up by the steering column. It is there all the time, not affected by speed, RPMs, temperature, steering input or braking. If I step on the gas more aggressively it seems to stop. It is really persistent when using cruise control on a flat or slight incline. The CC applies gas lightly to maintain speed and that light pressure really causes the ticking. The noise sounds to me like an electric relay rapidly clicking. Sort of like static electricity snaps. Iíve had it into service and they say it is normal sounds. This truck replaces a 2015 with the V8 that did not make this noise and I assume had the same gas pedal set up as the 2018. Since this is a ď drive by wireĒ gas pedal Iím thinking there is a bad relay somewhere. My question is where does the gas pedal connect to? Is there a relay under the dash or is it a direct connection from the pedal to the throttle? This annoyance is distracting from enjoying this otherwise really nice truck. Sort of like a mosquito in your bedroom. Doesnít cause any real harm just ruins a nights sleep. At this point Iím ready to pay for a fix and not worried about it not being covered under warranty. I appreciate any and all advice. Thanks.

Old 01-14-2018, 12:17 PM
Labmaster02
New User
Labmaster02 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have a 2017 with the same engine and no noise. Have the dealer let you drive a similar truck and see if it makes the same noise. Then you will have a ligitamate complaint. I hate little rattles and squeaks. It becomes the only thing you hear. Good luck.

Old 01-14-2018, 12:23 PM
Labmaster02
New User
Labmaster02 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have a 2017 with the same engine and no noise. Have the dealer let you drive a similar truck and see if it makes the same noise. Then you will have a ligitamate complaint. I hate little rattles and squeaks. It becomes the only thing you hear. Good luck.

Old 01-14-2018, 12:27 PM
TJReams
Posting Guru
TJReams is a splendid one to beholdTJReams is a splendid one to beholdTJReams is a splendid one to beholdTJReams is a splendid one to beholdTJReams is a splendid one to beholdTJReams is a splendid one to beholdTJReams is a splendid one to behold
Turn the radio up and drown it out! I have seen a simular post somewhere else and that's what the techs told him.

Old 01-23-2018, 11:34 AM
jeffwoodall
Senior User
jeffwoodall is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Does it make the noise in Park, Drive and Neutral or just Drive?

Old 01-23-2018, 11:55 AM
shortride
ididmyduty
shortride has a very good reputation on FTE.shortride has a very good reputation on FTE.shortride has a very good reputation on FTE.
If you a a left foot brake operator this clicking sound is coming from the application and release of the brake pedal. If you have a console shift you can actually feel the click as it happens. It clicks whether you use your left foot or right.

Old 01-24-2018, 12:15 PM
Greenie326
Freshman User
Greenie326 is starting off with a positive reputation.
In reply to last 2 posts. The noise will stop if in neutral and park while lightly pressing the gas pedal. I can be moving along with a light pedal pressure, noise clicking away, and as soon as I put it in neutral the noise stops. Also, I'm not a left foot braker so not related to braking. Any other ideas?

Old 01-24-2018, 05:05 PM
storage_man
Senior User
storage_man is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Greenie326 View Post
In reply to last 2 posts. The noise will stop if in neutral and park while lightly pressing the gas pedal. I can be moving along with a light pedal pressure, noise clicking away, and as soon as I put it in neutral the noise stops. Also, I'm not a left foot braker so not related to braking. Any other ideas?
It could be a boot (between the cab and the firewall) if its dry ? My old 2006 F250 had a very noisy boot on the brake pedal. Every time (without the radio running) it would SCRUNCH sound. Took it in several times to the dealer, they never did fix it. If I turned the Radio up, I would never hear it. I did notice the same sound on my new F150. However I live in a very DRY CLIMATE, and have heard these noises before.

PS: I'm hard of hearing, but I do have Hearing Aids.