Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

QuickLane Service ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 04:34 PM
storage_man
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
QuickLane Service ?

How many of the members here have used Ford's Quick Lane service ?

I used them alot when I first purchased my Old F250. They used to send me coupons for Diesel Oil changes for under $50 (Price could not be beat anywhere). They seemed to do a good job. I never had any issues with their work, but when the discontinued their Coupons I went elsewhere ! The reason I used them was more due to the problem of draining 16 qts of oil into a pan and getting it out from under the truck and not spilling it.

Been thinking about returning with my new F150 (or I may just change it myself 6 qts is alot easier then 16 qts) but that Oil Filter is in a not easy place.

So what says the Hive ?

Old 01-04-2018, 05:41 PM
JKBrad
Received 804 Likes on 589 Posts
I always change my own. The F150 has a plasti-fiber sound deadening panel underneath. It's kind of a pain to remove, so I never put it back on.

The filter is kind of a PITA to get at, but not that hard. Easier if you don't have skid plates.

I put a Fumoto valve on just to make it a little easier every time.

Old 01-04-2018, 06:03 PM
benwalt
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JKBrad

The filter is kind of a PITA to get at, but not that hard. Easier if you don't have skid plates.

I put a Fumoto valve on just to make it a little easier every time.
That the 5.0? I find the filter on the 2.7 very easy to change (top mounted), other than that one dang tiny o-ring.

On that bottom fiber pan cover, I just use a compact drill driver. I used a socket wrench the first time, and that was a pain. The drill driver makes it quick.

Old 01-04-2018, 07:02 PM
CR172
Fleet Mechanic
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I use them for both my XLT and her Edge. Usually do a great job. Last time they messed up on both vehicles. Forgot to reset the oil meter on both and didn't refill my washer fluid. I made my comments known in the survey they and Ford sent. I received a hand written letter from the service manager along with two free full service coupons to be used at any time. He even took the time to call and make sure we were good. I told him that those were minor things but it makes one wonder what else was not done. He appreciated the honest feedback.

Old 01-04-2018, 07:19 PM
super 6.8
Fleet Mechanic
Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts
Those guys are typically mechanics in training and not necessarily certified. I wouldn't let them near my truck...but I might be a little paranoid!

Old 01-04-2018, 07:43 PM
CR172
Fleet Mechanic
Don't believe it takes certification to change oil, rotate tires, fluids and check things on a checklist. Are you certified?

Old 01-05-2018, 05:21 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
I use them on my 2011 truck and I'm very pleased for the most part. I ask for a 5000 mile reminder on my windshield and they comply. I most of all like the vehicle health report that I get. Battery test, brake check, tire tread thickness, fill all fluids, etc. I don't let them rotate my tires as I have a tire plan with BJ's.

Old 01-05-2018, 06:40 AM
super 6.8
Fleet Mechanic
Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by CR172
Don't believe it takes certification to change oil, rotate tires, fluids and check things on a checklist. Are you certified?
You are right for the most part.

My point is I have never messed up any of the above on my own vehicles. When you have someone working as fast as they can on a vehicle they don't care about things can happen.

Stripped drain plugs, over fill with oil, overtightened filters and lug nuts, etc....I know it only happens a very small percentage of the time but I would rather not deal with that.

There are many reasons people don't work on their own cars. I just prefer to do everything I can myself. To each their own.

Old 01-05-2018, 07:51 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Changing the oil on an F150 isn't that bad. Seems like most newer vehicles have underbody panels for the sake of fuel economy that must be removed to change the oil. The panel on my '15 wasn't hard at all, just four screws if I remember right.

I traded my F150 in last March after getting divorced on the '14 Escape I drive now. I let the dealer do the first two oil changes on my Escape because they were free. A few weeks ago I did the third oil change myself, and after draining the oil I took a good look around for failures. I discovered a minor oil leak that they never found the two times they had it in their shop, which turned out to be a leaking front cover. Barely under the factory powertrain warranty at 56K miles, I took it right in, and the repair was done under warranty. 6.5 hours of labor plus parts, not a cheap repair...and I would have been on the hook if I didn't identify the issue that they hadn't up until that point. Changing it myself may have saved me a lot of money.

Of course the upside is records...if you suffer an engine failure under warranty, there's a decent chance they will ask to see maintenance records. If your dealer does your oil changes, there will be no doubt. Make sure to keep records if you do it yourself, I have a good friend who got burned by another manufacturer when her engine failed and she couldn't produce records because her husband always did the maintenance.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:28 AM
CR172
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by super 6.8
You are right for the most part.

My point is I have never messed up any of the above on my own vehicles. When you have someone working as fast as they can on a vehicle they don't care about things can happen.

Stripped drain plugs, over fill with oil, overtightened filters and lug nuts, etc....I know it only happens a very small percentage of the time but I would rather not deal with that.

There are many reasons people don't work on their own cars. I just prefer to do everything I can myself. To each their own.
I do all the work on the two Harley's in the garage, the Kubota diesel mower and the Ford tractor. I just find it a total PITA to dispose of the old oil these days. We are out in the country and not too many places take the old oil. I find it cheaper and easier to let the dealer take care of it. And as was mentioned, there are records of all the services.

Old 01-05-2018, 11:13 AM
ecoboost12
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oil Change

I still don't trust What Type of Oil Grade and Blend that they are putting in my Truck,I still have the Image in my Mind when i asked what type of oil they put in my Truck the Guy pointed to a 55 Gal Drum in the Corner that's the last time i Let them change my Life Blood.

Old 01-05-2018, 11:21 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by ecoboost12
I still don't trust What Type of Oil Grade and Blend that they are putting in my Truck,I still have the Image in my Mind when i asked what type of oil they put in my Truck the Guy pointed to a 55 Gal Drum in the Corner that's the last time i Let them change my Life Blood.
Trust it or not, the truck really doesn't care. There are a couple examples on another forum I could show you of with over 300,000 miles using nothing but regular conventional oil from the local quick lube place every 5-10K miles.

Old 01-06-2018, 08:24 PM
msgtord
Posting Guru
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I used to bug our fleet manager with all kinds of questions about oil, additives, fuel, and tires. And any other snake oil I read about.

His response when asked about the best oil was short and to the point.

"Clean".

Old 01-06-2018, 08:35 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,595 Likes on 1,300 Posts
$45 and 90 minutes with an appointment. Oil, filter, washer fluid, tires rotated, brakes checked, records kept and they wash the truck. I might stick with this. I still have our other two junkers to change the oil on when I get a round to it.

Except they don't call it Quick Lane at my dealership.

Old 01-07-2018, 10:55 AM
TJReams
Fleet Mechanic
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
They got me hooked at the dealership with the 2007 I had. 3 years of free oil changes, tire rotations, EVERYTHING except the gas tank filled, Everything including battery and brakes checked. Once I started paying for it $43.25 with every 5th change free makes it come to $34.60 cheapest place in town. Oh that includes my car as well. Plus they give you points for every Dollar spent you can redeem with them on service or merchandise. They have all the records and are giving me top dollar on my trade in.

Quick Reply: QuickLane Service ?