6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

6.7 exhaust brake

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 03:06 PM
kajolley
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.7 exhaust brake

can the exhaust brake be programed to be more aggressive.my 2016 is almost non existant compared to my previos dodges

Old 01-02-2018, 03:31 PM
polarlys
Senior User
I noted the same issue. My son's Dodge seems to have a much more aggressive engine braking action. It's hard to compare with the ford since it integrates so well with the transmission downshifting. I asked that question some time ago and the answer was that it is not a programming issue. Just the way it is.

Enjoy, Happy New Year

Roger from NJ

Old 01-02-2018, 03:53 PM
F250_Super_4X4
Tuned
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
The ford system uses the variable turbo vanes to create back pressure rather than a flutter valve to create back pressure (Exhaust brake). This is due to the EGR system not designed to handle the back pressure created by a valve brake and the Jake brake or engine brake is to loud for our trucks. When the button is activated it puts the truck in tow mode when you hit the brake. It will lock up the torque converter and adjust the turbo to create back pressure based on the speed of the truck that you release the brake at. As soon as you touch the gas pedal the system is deactivated waiting for you to touch the brake again. So the more you engage the brake the more the turbo vanes will adjust to "assist" in slowing down. While towing in WV I will speed up to about 80 and activate the exhaust brake and then brake to 75 and let off and activate cruise control. It will maintain 75 the whole way down the mountain side with out depressing the brakes and saving my brake pads.

With all that said I am sure their is a way to program max back pressure when you step on the brake rather than being modulated based on speed.

Old 01-02-2018, 03:54 PM
Braggs
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's a video from Ford on how to use the exhaust brake feature. Basically use the tow-haul mode in conjunction with the exhaust brake button to get earlier down-shifts in the transmission. The higher boost pressure from higher RPMs will get you more aggressive braking. The systems work together and I've heard it's integrated into the cruise control also to help maintain speed settings while going downhill.

Old 01-03-2018, 03:15 AM
falconetti
Mountain Pass
Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
i used mine today, finally got to do a little driving up then down a mountain side with steep roads, hit the button and when i applied the brake it would hold that speed pretty well. However, I noticed one push of the button turns "exhaust brake on" a second tap i thought would turn it off but it goes to "automatic exhaust brake on" so i ended up confused.

Old 01-05-2018, 03:46 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,596 Likes on 737 Posts
The Ford Exhaust brake will never be as aggresive as the Dodge. The Ford Valve springs are not as strong as those in the Dodge. Hence they exhaust valves would float if you were to put the same back pressure against them as the Dodge.

And while the 6.7L exhaust brake won't bring you to stop. It does a great job of holding your speed down a grade. I don't use my EB to SLOW me down, But rather to HOLD my speed. I cross the summit on a 7% or 8% grade, slow down about 5 mph slower than I want to travel down the grade and set the EB. Truck will stay ipretty close to my desired speed down 20 miles of downhill grade with out me touching my brakes.

What I can't do is be going downhill at 70 mph and decide I want the EB to slow me to 50 moh and think that pushing the button will do that. I need to use the brakes to get slowed to that desired speed and then activate the EB and it will hold that speed.

Old 01-05-2018, 07:58 PM
camminich
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Personally I think the exhaust brake in our SD is amazing, but as noted above you need to give it an opportunity to build up pressure to work, and I think it only works best under a load.

I only use mine when towing, I have played with it without my trailer but it doesn't seems to grab. With my trailer I have gone down Immigrant Hill on I84 W at 17,000+lbs and using the exhaust break I can run 5th gear at 65mph with no breaks. The EB will hold all the way down. Dropping down to 4th would slow the truck even more.

Old 01-07-2018, 07:58 PM
backtrack2015
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Unless it is in automatic mode, you really need to downshift and boost the RPM in order to get much braking. It works pretty well if you actively downshift.
In automatic mode it will generally let you gain about 5-mph before it starts actively holding you back and shifting as needed to do so.

Old 01-09-2018, 11:19 AM
LaxPlaya21
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by backtrack2015
Unless it is in automatic mode, you really need to downshift and boost the RPM in order to get much braking. It works pretty well if you actively downshift.
In automatic mode it will generally let you gain about 5-mph before it starts actively holding you back and shifting as needed to do so.
So would you say its more advantageous to use it in auto mode?

Old 01-09-2018, 11:40 AM
backtrack2015
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by LaxPlaya21
So would you say its more advantageous to use it in auto mode?
If you are trying to hold a set speed down a long hill, then auto mode is great. It will hold you at or near the speed at which you let off the accelerator and you don't have to do anything.

If you are trying to slow down (maybe to a stop or into a lower speed zone), then manual mode is better. You will need to downshift manually in order to get the RPMs up for maximum braking.

Old 01-09-2018, 12:09 PM
LaxPlaya21
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by backtrack2015
If you are trying to hold a set speed down a long hill, then auto mode is great. It will hold you at or near the speed at which you let off the accelerator and you don't have to do anything.

If you are trying to slow down (maybe to a stop or into a lower speed zone), then manual mode is better. You will need to downshift manually in order to get the RPMs up for maximum braking.
Thank you for that clarification. Unfortunately for me, I live in Long Island NY... so I don't get much by the way of hill descent. I am jealous of all the guys that get to climb the mountains and really push these monsters!