1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

3 on the tree vs floor shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 08:21 AM
unibody62
More Turbo
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
3 on the tree vs floor shifter?

I was reading another thread here on transmission options and got me to thinking about mine. I am keeping the original 3 speed and had thought I might also keep the column shifter as well. I am somewhat hesitant, because I don’t know how well the old shifting mechanism works. Is it feasible to just throw in an aftermarket floor shifter and cut a hole in the floor, or would that be too much of a hack job? I’m not going to be running it hard, just a cruiser, so the 3-on-the-Tree would be fine, providing it functions well. I remember seeing conversion kits around, but do they really work out ok in the end? How many guys have tried this? Probably lots of guys upgrade to a four speed top loader or something more sporty, but I don’t think that’s in the budget for me.

Old 01-02-2018, 09:07 AM
gittinwidit
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I put 250k+ on a floor 3 speed conversion shifter made by Indy. This was like 20 years ago. I've since retired the truck just recently due to everything on it was going bad, except the transmission and shifter. Here's a few pros and cons to consider.

1. They cost a lot more today than they did at around $70 being close to 20 years ago, so price now days is a consideration.

2. The most common thing to go bad on a modern transmission is Overdrive. Without it (such as a 3 speed), chances are it will outlive the truck. I can contest to that!

3. All 3 speed shifters are "universal". So you will most likely have to do some modifications to make it fit. But they are stupid simple. So there's some trial and error in cutting on the floor unless you find someone with one installed and can find the same brand maybe? Or just take your time.

4. Column shift 3 speeds wear out. I got maybe 30-40k on my column before I had to make a move. Of course big difference between "weekend cruiser" and "scalded dog" like how I drove mine. But the 3 speed never let me down for the other 250k / 2 motors / 2-3 clutches.

5. Resale value tends to drop when converted for there's some big fans of an original 3 speed on column when it comes to purchasing a classic truck. Many of us learned on them and like to share the experience with our children.

6. The floor shifter takes getting used to for you shift in a crazy pattern. Heck, I almost forgot which it was but if memory serves me right, it's Second to Third that's is in a sideways "Z" pattern? Regardless, it's easy to grind Reverse unless you know what you're doing.

7. The floor conversion can be done in maybe 2-3 hours max. Unlike plumbing hydraulics for a ZF 5 speed. Then after you swap to a ZF, you'll tend to want to tweak the rear with a different gear. Like candy from a jar to a child, it don't stop with just 1.

Old 01-02-2018, 09:54 AM
unibody62
More Turbo
Good to hear from someone who actually tried it. In most every truck that I’ve seen converted, the person just seemed to chop a hole in the floorboard. I don’t want that result, even though it would be covered up. As I recall when I was going over the column, everything seemed to look pretty good and not worn out. I think as long as it works okay, I’ll probably use it as is for a while, with the option of converting later. It would probably be easier to do before I put the insulation and mat down, but like you said there is a certain nostalgia of having an original column shifter in there. That’s another thing that keeps me from changing over. Once you go there, it’s a lot harder to go back and patch the hole.
Another thing I’ve been tossing around is converting to an aftermarket hydraulic clutch setup. I know it never really bothered me driving these 25 years ago. Now that I’m 66 years old and having been spoiled by some modern trucks, I’m thinking I may not enjoyed it so much. Heck, the strong arm steering will be bad enough, lol.

Old 01-02-2018, 10:10 AM
gittinwidit
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A couple things to ad since your repost...

1. The hole for an aftermarket 3 speed shifter is in a weird place. It's more scooted back towards the seat and on the driver's side of the hump right at the indent line on the floorboard. Nothing close to an original NP435 hole.

2. I too have got to the point in my life that any effort to upgrade a transmission on one of my trucks is either going to be to a hydraulic or automatic. After converting one to hydraulic and then hopping back behind a straight clutch, you tend to wonder what kind of permanent cartilage / muscle / tendon damage you did to the left knee throughout the years. ;-D

I'd do as you just said and not fix nothing that isn't broke. But I've learnt that a TREMENDOUS amount of insurance to the ORIGINAL column 3 speed is a $1 / 1.5" hose clamp on the cast stub where the shifter handle goes in. That seems to be the major wear item and once that goes, the column is fubar. The other pieces are (usually) readily available to replace. Of the many 3 speed trucks I've parted, I've only scored 2 columns in good shape and both had a clamp.

Old 01-02-2018, 02:47 PM
Bert65
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
other then the shift rods, you can find pretty much everything to rebuild the 3 on the tree. mine (65) was loose, had the hose clamp, screws , washers and such to tighten up. i took all apart replaced all worn parts and it works just fine. if google 3 on the tree there are articles out there to help with the rebuild.

Old 01-03-2018, 06:36 PM
unibody62
More Turbo
Hose clamp? That doesn’t sound very visually appealing. There must be something better than that for a restored truck. I’ll have to give it some thought. But thanks for the tip on the possible failure point!