1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Intercooler setup install help

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 01:48 PM
B-Rad88
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Intercooler setup install help

Since my truck is going to be down for a week or 2 waiting on parts and me doing some turbo/UVCH work (my other thread is current on what's going on with that), so I figured this might be a good time to go ahead and get my intercooler done. When I bought the truck, it already had a 7.3 SD intercooler in it, but nothing else. It was modified poorly, so it was a PITA to pull it out when I replaced the condenser. I haven't put it back in yet because I figured I would clean it real good first. That was months ago. I plan on cleaning up the core support a bit so it looks cleaner and it fits better but shouldn't be too badd or time intensive.

I have everything as far as I know that I will need to intercool my 97. I have the 7.3 SD intercooler, both intercooler piles from a 7.3 SD, and the spyder for the Early 99 7.3 SD. There might be more stuff I have that I'm missing, but I'm pretty sure that's about it.

What would be the recommendations for cleaning it before I put it in? Also, I can't remember but I believe one of the pipes has to be lengthened and the other shortened if using the 7.3 SD pipes. I do not have a welder or do I know how to weld, so I would have to take them somewhere to be modified. Is a local exhaust shop a good place to go or somewhere else? What boots would I need after the modification is done to attach to the spyder?

Sidenote, I'm thinking of also having an exhaust shop make me a pipe for the 6637 filter I have just sitting in my truck. I have one of those S&B aftermarket intakes but I'd rather swap it out for the 6637 setup.

Just looking for advice and perhaps the cheapest route to go that won't come back to bite me later.
I'm changing my turbo out with a buddy's that has a new wheel and half the mileage my truck has on it, plus a 1.0 housing as well. I ordered the gasket kit for the pedestal from riff raff today and won't have it until Friday it said so I have about a week to mess with it until I get any parts (also ordered a UVCH gasket and harness as well to address another issue).

Old 12-30-2017, 02:34 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts
The setup I got for my old mule sounds the same as your set up. Both sides have to be lengthen. I got laughed off one forum for 'jerry rigging' it but its still working today. I used two 2" exhaust pipes to bridge the gap and doubled booted it. I didn't know how to weld on stainless steel so I just made it work. I have the T4 setup now on the OX but back in 2010 on the mule this worked, no leaks.

Old 12-30-2017, 02:37 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,192 Likes on 818 Posts
Both IC pipes have to be lengthen, 3" on the passenger side on the IC side and 7.5"-8" on the driver side on the spider side.

Old 12-30-2017, 02:58 PM
B-Rad88
Tuned
Is there anybody who sells just the pipes for a 7.3 SD intercooler setup on an OBS?

Old 01-01-2018, 02:39 PM
Pest007
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
B-Rad - I live in west Phx, and happen to have a set of stock Super Duty pipes if you need them for modification. I'll give them to you if you want to pick them up. I ended up buying a pipe kit from Banks for mine, it was a perfect fit and I liked the Y-pipe better than the stock ones for the superduty. Just shoot me a message if you want those pipes or to see how mine is setup in person

Old 01-01-2018, 02:40 PM
Pest007
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is a picture of the Bank's pipe setup I have

Old 01-01-2018, 02:52 PM
B-Rad88
Tuned
Originally Posted by Pest007
B-Rad - I live in west Phx, and happen to have a set of stock Super Duty pipes if you need them for modification. I'll give them to you if you want to pick them up. I ended up buying a pipe kit from Banks for mine, it was a perfect fit and I liked the Y-pipe better than the stock ones for the superduty. Just shoot me a message if you want those pipes or to see how mine is setup in person
I have everything from a SD 7.3 already, the intercooler, pipes, and the spyder. I have had them for months but have just been busy with other stuff. I figured since I'm pulling the turbo right now I might as well go ahead and get the intercooler done while I'm at it.
Unfortunately, it may come down to a time issue now. I am having issues taking my turbo off right now, so depending on how long that takes me, we shall see if I still have time to get the intercooler stuff all setup. My core support is already modified though.

By Y pipe do you mean the same thing as the spyder piece from the SD? If so how much was the pipe kit you used from banks? Honestly, my end goal is to have the pipes powder coated and the spyder coated as well, but for now I was just going to get it hooked up. I'm hoping to get the e fuel mod done in the next 6 months or less.

Old 01-02-2018, 08:27 AM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I just got a longer boot for the driver's side, and put two boots and a short piece of 3" exhaust tubing on the bottom passenger side. Worked for me and I didn't have to weld anything.

Old 01-02-2018, 09:08 AM
wildstang
VT Chapter Ldr

Received 138 Likes on 134 Posts
I think you might want the oil filler neck from the superduty so that the oil fill is above your intercooler pipe. But you could just use a funnel also.

Old 01-02-2018, 09:23 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts
B-Rad, there is a couple of how too's in the stickies on top of the page on installing IC.

Old 01-07-2018, 11:09 AM
B-Rad88
Tuned
After looking at some of the threads I found, I'm wondering if I will be ok to just put my intercooler back in and hook everything back up. Mine had an intercooler in it when I bought it, so it's been modified already. It was not the best job, but it worked. The condenser and radiator were both in there as well and I don't know if the condenser was relocated at all for it. I do know that the PO punctured a hole in the radiator with the condenser which I found when I redid all the a.c. components on the truck. I'm wondering now if that happened when installing the intercooler. I'm going to clean up the cuts in the core support for the intercooler so it isn't as difficult to put back in as it was to pull it out (it was shoved in to where the cuts where made and it took an hour to pull it out of the holes they cut, so I'm going to sand around the holes to clean it up and open them up a little bit more). If I had the radiator, condenser, and IC all in there before with no clearance issues when I bought the truck, as long as when I put the IC back in and don't push the condenser into the radiator, is there any reason to think I will have any issues? I will post a picture of what it looks like modified in a little bit when I start working on the turbo again.

I'm only considering doing this now because I'm expecting to have the turbo and pedestal off today or tomorrow. And then I won't be able to pick up the new 1.0 housing or the exhaust fitting the EBPV normally sits in until end of the week from the ceramic coater, and won't have the new turbo pedestal o rings and bolts from riff raff until the end or next week. I already have everything for the IC so I figured this would be a good time to get it done if I can. I might just put the intercooler in and then finish the install later when I have more time.