Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 10:08 AM
unleashd
Fleet Mechanic
Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Excurvelle
I am really leaning towards this radio:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/99-05-Ford-...19.m1438.l2649
JMHO. Other than the mention that this unit is manufactured in China, there is absolutely nothing in that eBay listing talking about this unit. Personally, I would not buy it.

I went with the popular Joying radio when I changed out my stock radio last year for less than half of what is being asked on that listing. Here's the write that I did.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...installed.html

Old 01-15-2018, 10:18 AM
ShelbyHauler
Laughing Gas
Received 497 Likes on 147 Posts
Looks nice, and hopefully as it states, direct fit. I see you can get all the options as well.

I went with this:

Amazon Amazon

Its a true Double DIN Android 7.1 Nougat radio with a 7" screen. Its not exactly like a tablet but you can go to the app store and put almost anything you want on it. I will have to use the Metra install kit to fill in the sides and will have to trim the upper and lower lip that is recessed in the dash for it to fit. This radio has a GPS antenna, two video inputs (rear/front backup/dvr) and all your normal speaker wires plus a set of RCA pre-amp ports. It has two USB ports on pigtails off the back. I am thinking of adding a GSM (cellular) dongle and using the MINT sim card/cell service (2gb for $15 a month) so I do not have to turn on my phone's hotspot every time I get in the truck. It also has a pair of RCA AUX inputs that I am going to use for my XM Radio. Steering Wheel Control is built in as well. Not bad for $220 and if it goes bad after its 1 year warranty I'm not out as much as I might have paid for a true high end radio, and I'll take another $200 and purchase the latest greatest $200 Android radio with all the newest features.

Old 01-15-2018, 10:31 AM
ShelbyHauler
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by unleashd
JMHO. Other than the mention that this unit is manufactured in China, there is absolutely nothing in that eBay listing talking about this unit. Personally, I would not buy it.

I went with the popular Joying radio when I changed out my stock radio last year for less than half of what is being asked on that listing. Here's the write that I did.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...installed.html
Most of our radios today are from Aisa.

Shenzhen Joying Technology Co., Ltd. in Da tang shi
dai
1102-1108, Mei long da
dao
142, Shenzhen, Guangdong province, China

At least Joying has warehouses in the USA.

Old 01-15-2018, 10:43 AM
530ktmpilot
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Joying or pumpkin are the two best supported andriod radios out there today. Both have great after sale customer/technical support and self hosted web forums. I e had the joying one for over a year now and very nice. Also had to do some pin reassignments in the metra adapter to get everything plug and play. I posted sone info on how to make the changes to the metra harness to make it work for my 06 f250. I suspect you found similar issue with metra adapter I did.. check my post for more info.

Attached Images  
Old 01-15-2018, 10:48 AM
unleashd
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by ShelbyHauler
Most of our radios today are from Aisa.

Shenzhen Joying Technology Co., Ltd. in Da tang shi
dai
1102-1108, Mei long da
dao
142, Shenzhen, Guangdong province, China

At least Joying has warehouses in the USA.
Nothing against the Chinese brand. But the listing has zero information about the unit. That was my apprehension. FWIW, I have the exact same Joying unit that you posted above, except mine is still on marshmallow. Need to get it updated to Nougat and possibly root it to "personalize" it

FWIW, Here's a little info pack about Joying

Link 1

Link 2

Some of these links may be older for your Nougat. Enjoy

Old 01-15-2018, 11:01 AM
530ktmpilot
Senior User
Im also on marshmello and waiting for nougat upgrade to be offered by joying. Biggest improvement is expanded functionality for steering wheel controls in 7.01. Each control button can be programed to do two functions- momentary press or extended hold of button. E.g. psh button briefly and radio goes up one frequency step or hold button longer and it searches to find next broadcasting station up the dial.

Old 01-15-2018, 04:05 PM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 217 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by unleashd
Nothing against the Chinese brand. But the listing has zero information about the unit. That was my apprehension. FWIW, I have the exact same Joying unit that you posted above, except mine is still on marshmallow. Need to get it updated to Nougat and possibly root it to "personalize" it

FWIW, Here's a little info pack about Joying

Link 1

Link 2

Some of these links may be older for your Nougat. Enjoy

There is more info on this EBay number he references:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Excurs...BY1rAW&vxp=mtr

I may be showing my age but years ago in high school I cut a Chevelle dash to install a Pioneer radio and I don't want to do it to my Ex. Fortunately for the Chevelle I found a NOS new dash for it in 1985 and the same dash is still in the car.

I want the Ex to maintain the rear DVD functionality, add a backup camera, hands free phone, navigation and the steering wheel controls. I want to be able to easily get the radio out if I need to and not have to disassemble the dash. I also do not want to cut and splice wires. So far this is the only radio I have found and in the reviews there are satisfied Ex owners. I am thinking of the future when parts are hard to come by and good wiring harnesses are no longer available.

I am a huge fan of Crutchfield, their tech support is top notch. I have an issue with a radio they sold to me and they are sending me the replacement piece with an RMA. Awesome service!!!

Before I pull the trigger on a radio I will talk to Crutchfield first.

Old 01-15-2018, 05:57 PM
ShelbyHauler
Laughing Gas

I may be showing my age but years ago in high school I cut a Chevelle dash to install a Pioneer radio and I don't want to do it to my Ex. Fortunately for the Chevelle I found a NOS new dash for it in 1985 and the same dash is still in the car.

I want the Ex to maintain the rear DVD functionality, add a backup camera, hands free phone, navigation and the steering wheel controls. I want to be able to easily get the radio out if I need to and not have to disassemble the dash. I also do not want to cut and splice wires. So far this is the only radio I have found and in the reviews there are satisfied Ex owners. I am thinking of the future when parts are hard to come by and good wiring harnesses are no longer available.

I am a huge fan of Crutchfield, their tech support is top notch. I have an issue with a radio they sold to me and they are sending me the replacement piece with an RMA. Awesome service!!!

I totally agree with you, but I am a tech, so I have no problem doing the work myself and saving money. I also have a 1969 Mustang. I do not believe in making modifications that can not be easily undone to return the car to original. And for the most part, that is what I am doing to my Ex. I am not cutting wires, I got the proper wire harness that plugs into the factory plug. I did have to remove some material from back in the recessed area where the factory radio sits, but this will not affect things if I want to install the radio that came with the Ex, or another one that the CD player works. So I'm into this for about $260. I get a nice radio, a place to plug my XM Radio into, and it does not look like I hacked things up to get it all in there because I didn't. I can understand that some people don't care to do things like I am doing, and that's fine with me. It's your truck, do what you want with it. :-)

Old 01-15-2018, 05:57 PM
unleashd
Fleet Mechanic

This eBay link has some more info than the earlier one. Anyways, the price is double what you'd pay for a Joying/Pumpkin 'branded' unit. If you do some more searching, you might find that many of these 'unbranded' models are the exact replica of what Joying/Pumpkin would put their name on. I think that these are all manufactured by the same Chinese firm and then each of these companies put their names on them and release them with small variations of the Android OS.

Crutchfield is a very good resource.

Old 01-16-2018, 07:03 PM
ShelbyHauler
Laughing Gas
Installing the Double Din radio, I went from here:

To here:

It's not totally finished but the radio is working. I am waiting for some 18-22 awg wire taps to add the steering wheel control as the Metra wire harness interface did not include those wires. The GPS receiver has been installed so I can use my cell phone as a hotspot for navigation. I am thinking of adding a 3g/4g cell dongle and use a data only plan from mint.com

Click on the thumbnail pictures to see the full description of my work.

Old 01-16-2018, 08:20 PM
DidieX
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Flyboy1100

Which pioneer camera did you use? Do you have a better picture of how you mounted the camera? I want to add one but I hate having it on the license plate.

Thanks

Old 01-16-2018, 09:00 PM
Matt M, PA
Fleet Mechanic
I am really leaning towards this radio:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/99-05-Ford-...19.m1438.l2649
That sure looks like the unit, and the seller name seems familiar. I think I was in contact with them awhile go when I was considering installing one of those. the guy was very responsive and helpful. The big deal with those is that it fits the factory hole without any modification and can be removed like the original radio. To me...that's worth the extra cost if I don't have to remove of cut my dash.

Old 01-17-2018, 09:52 PM
ShelbyHauler
Laughing Gas
... I am thinking of adding a 3g/4g cell dongle and use a data only plan from mint.com
So I just discovered what Android Car Mode (app) is. You plug your Android Cell phone (5.0 or higher) into the usb port of your Android head unit, and the head unit now becomes an extension of your phone. It uses your Cell phone's data so you do not need anything extra to make the head unit recieve "service" so you can use your live GPS maps, or get traffic data for use with Waze. I have not hooked it up yet as I need to mount my USB plugs that come out of the Android head unit so I have access to them. My EinCar head unit seems to be a Pumpkin knockoff/clone/same unit as it has their OEM "Over The Air" AM/FM radio app on it.

Old 01-17-2018, 10:00 PM
seijirou
Cargo Master
Received 391 Likes on 240 Posts
So I just discovered what Android Car Mode (app) is. You plug your Android Cell phone (5.0 or higher) into the usb port of your Android head unit, and the head unit now becomes an extension of your phone. It uses your Cell phone's data so you do not need anything extra to make the head unit recieve "service" so you can use your live GPS maps, or get traffic data for use with Waze. I have not hooked it up yet as I need to mount my USB plugs that come out of the Android head unit so I have access to them. My EinCar head unit seems to be a Pumpkin knockoff/clone/same unit as it has their OEM "Over The Air" AM/FM radio app on it.
Android Auto is great, I use it more less exclusively. I rarely actually use any of the native features of my Pioneer.

Old 01-18-2018, 10:11 PM
Flyboy1100
Laughing Gas
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by DidieX
Which pioneer camera did you use? Do you have a better picture of how you mounted the camera? I want to add one but I hate having it on the license plate.

Thanks
whatever is the newest version ,was like 50 bux on amazon.

it comes with tape on the metal bracket and then i put in 2 screws as well for "just in case". didn't even need to drill a hole because of where the handle actuates and the factory moisture barrier, the wire fit perfect.

Quick Reply: Double DIN install