1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some transmission specs

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 01:08 AM
Rusty Panda
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some transmission specs

Would just like to say hello and happy holidays everyone before i get started here,

So I have been doing some researching and it appears to me that the Ford 6.0 6.4 5.4 and 6.8 all use the same Zf6-750 transmission
I have one available from a 2005 5.4 Triton power stroke that Im looking to take out and use behind a 5.9 Cummins .
My question is are the flywheels and clutches the same between all platforms or not even close? Comparing cheap clutches on autozone it looks like the 5.4 version is smaller diameter at around 11 ish inches vs 13 from the 6.0. I was hoping to use the stock clutch and pressure plate with a conversion flywheel that allows use of the stock clutch and pressure plate as the one in the truck is almost brand new. Most diesel conversion websites have nothing listed for converting to a zf from a gas powerstroke so i would like to hear everybodies opinions on this.

Old 12-26-2017, 08:51 AM
EXSwap
Fleet Mechanic
Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts
I think your nomenclature is a bit off...there are no "Gas powerstrokes". The Ford gas motors were the 5.4 and the V10 (6.8). The powerstrokes that the ZF6-750 used were the 6.0 and 6.4. I'm not sure when they phased them out, but you MIGHT find one behind a 6.7, but I don't think so. The ZF6-650 was behind the 7.3 diesel (and is a weaker transmission). They also used them behind the duramax, but in a bit of a different configuration.

ZF S6-650, S6-750 Transmission Specs & Ratios

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...al-tranny.html

For my conversion I'll be putting a 13" assembly (flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, heavy bearings, etc.). There's also an adapter you can buy for ~$900 from various conversion houses. From my research, it's a 3/8" plate (which I'll be making for my conversion). Here's a link to kits you can buy that should be a pretty direct fit:

https://www.dieselconversion.com/par...ansmissions=40

Homemade adaptor plate - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

In a nutshell, don't skimp on your drivetrain behind the 6BT.

Last edited by EXSwap; 12-26-2017 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Added link to DCS, removed some info that I thought might be misleading.
Old 12-26-2017, 11:55 AM
Rusty Panda
New User
EXSwap your right there are no gas powerstrokes i meant to say Super Duty's . Late night brain fart
So does that mean the gas clutch is a no go ? I dont have it off the truck to measure it because Im trying to estimate some costs before tearing everything apart
I have been looking around for a 3/8 steel conversion plate for a while because i think 800+ for brand name adapters is alot of money for what you get. 3/8 steel adapter plates aren't cheap either but it saves buying a crank spacer from what i understand.
Im confident they would sell more than 2x as many adapter plates if they were half the price.
As far as clutch combinations that work goes

NV5600 flywheel with bigger pilot shaft hole, NV5600 Clutch and Pressure Plate

Or

Modified NV5600 flywheel with ford pressure plate pattern, bigger pilot shaft hole , Ford clutch and pressure plate.

Or

One of the custom setups from Valair or Southbend.

Was hopng somebody can confirm this
I actually read that thread where the guy makes his own adapter plate before i came here . Impressive work for sure, I would be worried about misalignment between transmission and engine causing premature wear if i did something wrong .

Old 12-26-2017, 02:36 PM
EXSwap
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Rusty Panda
EXSwap your right there are no gas powerstrokes i meant to say Super Duty's . Late night brain fart
So does that mean the gas clutch is a no go ? I dont have it off the truck to measure it because Im trying to estimate some costs before tearing everything apart

I have been looking around for a 3/8 steel conversion plate for a while because i think 800+ for brand name adapters is alot of money for what you get. 3/8 steel adapter plates aren't cheap either but it saves buying a crank spacer from what i understand.
Im confident they would sell more than 2x as many adapter plates if they were half the price.
As far as clutch combinations that work goes

NV5600 flywheel with bigger pilot shaft hole, NV5600 Clutch and Pressure Plate

Or

Modified NV5600 flywheel with ford pressure plate pattern, bigger pilot shaft hole , Ford clutch and pressure plate.

Or

One of the custom setups from Valair or Southbend.

Was hopng somebody can confirm this
I actually read that thread where the guy makes his own adapter plate before i came here . Impressive work for sure, I would be worried about misalignment between transmission and engine causing premature wear if i did something wrong .

Yes, I'd say a gas clutch from a 5.4 is a no go. I'm not sure if they changed the setup for a V10. As far as estimating costs, there are several pieces (which you've already identified):

1. Adapter plate range is from free (build yourself) and ~$960. There's one guy on ebay that makes them for $600. I wouldn't say building one is hard, but it is technical. In other words, it's just holes in a steel plate, but they have to be exact. Input shaft end play comes needs to be accounted for as well. If the holes are off, you'll snap an input shaft in a hurry.

2. Flywheel should be a 13" flywheel from an NV5600 milled to accept the larger pilot bearing (to match the Ford input shaft). With the 3/8" adapter, you can bolt the flywheel directly to the crank (no crankshaft spacer). Worst case is you space your starter, which is a much better solution in my view. You can pick up an NV5600 flywheel for a couple hundred bucks and have it machined (not sure on cost).

3. Clutch - I'd say either a 6.0 or a 7.3 clutch, but SBC or Valair (possibly Luk or others) should be able to set you up pretty good. They can get you in a decent clutch for less than $1000.

4. Hydros - depends on the clutch, but I think the standard Ford ZF6 hydros will work good (from a diesel - I'm not sure the gas hydros will work)

If you're looking for plug and play, I'd go with a kit. I haven't decided which route I'm gonna go on that yet, but it's probably worth my time and effort to just get the kit, even on a budget.

Old 12-26-2017, 03:10 PM
Rusty Panda
New User
Yeah Im definitely leaning towards a kit. I like building things myself but there comes a point where Im just wasting my time. Sure i could buy an oem flywheel for roughly 230$ but then ill need my local machine shop to mill out the center for a bigger pilot bearing and add holes for a ford pressure plate. They charge 120$ an hour and they will make it 2 hours. Plus an adapter plate at 600 $ for an ebay setup. Add a sorta half decent clutch for 600 and surprise it already adds up to 1670 $ This excludes the separate shipping costs on each part also. Thank you Mr ExSwap for helping me make up my mind

Old 12-26-2017, 07:34 PM
EXSwap
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Rusty Panda
Yeah Im definitely leaning towards a kit. I like building things myself but there comes a point where Im just wasting my time. Sure i could buy an oem flywheel for roughly 230$ but then ill need my local machine shop to mill out the center for a bigger pilot bearing and add holes for a ford pressure plate. They charge 120$ an hour and they will make it 2 hours. Plus an adapter plate at 600 $ for an ebay setup. Add a sorta half decent clutch for 600 and surprise it already adds up to 1670 $ This excludes the separate shipping costs on each part also. Thank you Mr ExSwap for helping me make up my mind
No problem! Hopefully you get it all worked out....when you do, we like build threads with lots of pictures around here!

Old 12-27-2017, 05:47 PM
Rusty Panda
New User
Sorry posted twice so deleted this message

Old 12-27-2017, 06:08 PM
Rusty Panda
New User
Ok guys update / funfact

The zf6 from a 5.4 or 6.8 are different than the 6.0 or 6.4
Bellhousing numbers do not match in ZF parts catalogue
Emailed destroked and fordcummins both confirmed that the gas zf6 version is different (smaller bell housing)

Ironically the gas zf6 would bolt up to a cummins-5r110 adapter plate as these transmissions share the ford modular bellhousing pattern everyone speaks of.
Not sure what the clutch setup would have to be as Ive never seen anyone go this route .
Either way some food for thought. Hope this helps someone out in the future.
Only other option would be swapping the bellhousing/front case on the gas tranny but im not sure how involved this would be.
Would have to swap input shaft also as they are a different part number

ZF Part # 1319 202 026 Diesel
ZF Part # 1319 202 023 Gas