Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Graphing my new injectors...analysis?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 08:00 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Graphing my new injectors...analysis?

Newly installed 160/80 single shot injectors in my 2002 Excursion 7.3L and working the air out, so time to do some graphing.

I dusted off PID3D/Autolog and will polish it up a bit so others can use it. I've noticed a few things with the latest version of Torque Pro and will make some adjustments.

In the meantime, here is my first run. Idle is still rough and stumbling, but runs well. Boost is low, ICP lower than I'm used to with the old split shots.

What do you think?

@Tugly

Old 12-18-2017, 08:24 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Your EBP is in the 50's??? Is that right? Is it normal?

Old 12-18-2017, 08:34 PM
jimjokjv
More Turbo
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Very pretty.

Don't know enough to comment but love all the colors.

Old 12-18-2017, 09:00 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
Your EBP is in the 50's??? Is that right? Is it normal?
It is correct. It climbs there. Here is a graph from 07/30/2015 for comparison

And one after fixing my uppipes leaks:

But...my boost seems low. Not sure if that is a factor of the new tunes or the new injectors...or a boost leak?

Hmmm....

Old 12-19-2017, 12:04 AM
IDI-Charlie
Fleet Mechanic
Received 65 Likes on 20 Posts
You should definitely be seeing more than 15# on the gauge - even with a modified MAP table I see over 22# (setting off the SES for overboosting) via the MAP. Is it possible Torque Pro changed a PID?

Old 12-19-2017, 12:21 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by IDI-Charlie
You should definitely be seeing more than 15# on the gauge - even with a modified MAP table I see over 22# (setting off the SES for overboosting) via the MAP. Is it possible Torque Pro changed a PID?
I didn't have a proper BARO PID, that column was empty in the file. So something could be off there? I've corrected that for future logging

I was hitting 25.x max on the gauge the past few days, but why it stays so low for so long, instead of coming on quickly is unusual to me.

Maybe it is the Economy part of the tune? Not sure. I am planning to have that discussion as soon as the air is removed and I have checked out anything I can first.

Hmmm....

Old 12-19-2017, 12:47 AM
IDI-Charlie
Fleet Mechanic
Received 65 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by ExPACamper
I didn't have a proper BARO PID, that column was empty in the file. So something could be off there? I've corrected that for future logging
The BARO missing could explain it a bit, as IIRC one's boost value is calculated by comparing the BARO value to the MAP value. Correct me if I am wrong on that though.

Old 12-19-2017, 06:54 AM
tjmike
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is you ECU tuned to work with the new injectors?

If yes then don't you need an external gauge to properly measure boost?

Old 12-19-2017, 07:21 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Here comes the nitpick storm.
  1. The FIPW is in a weird math. If you want to use the scale on the right, microseconds would read 0-6000 (max FIPW possible). Right now, it is neither milliseconds (0-6) or microseconds. You're off by a couple of decimal points.
  2. Since fuel economy is best served with a feather on the throttle, it stands to reason an economy tune will go easy on it as well. I have a DD tune that is pretty economical, yet has spunk when called upon. "Spunk" does not match the Michelin-ripping acceleration of the race tune, but the DD tune undoubtedly has prevented me from buying rear tires by now.
  3. I do not like your pulse width and ham, Sam I am. These are single-shots with 80% nozzles, and they like to drain in a hurry. 3.0 milliseconds was enough to drain the split-shots with stock nozzle once the ICP reached 3000 PSI. That max 2800 PSI ICP might compensate... I dunno... gotta work out some math here to theorize.
  4. I spotted a flat line at about 52 PSI EBP (that might go to 53 PSI with the new BARO number). That is the "saturation" point of your EBP sensor, meaning it is as high as the sensor reads.
  5. This is stock turbo with the red line mod and the 7-turn mod? If 24 is really max with an analog gauge, something is either bleeding air (likely the wastegate), or your turbo needs attention.

Old 12-19-2017, 08:29 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Tugly
Here comes the nitpick storm.
  1. The FIPW is in a weird math. If you want to use the scale on the right, microseconds would read 0-6000 (max FIPW possible). Right now, it is neither milliseconds (0-6) or microseconds. You're off by a couple of decimal points.

I know it bugs you to see a scale applied to FIPW, but it moves the line up into the graph where it can be seen

I do not like your pulse width and ham, Sam I am. These are single-shots with 80% nozzles, and they like to drain in a hurry. 3.0 milliseconds was enough to drain the split-shots with stock nozzle once the ICP reached 3000 PSI. That max 2800 PSI ICP might compensate... I dunno... gotta work out some math here to theorize.

Not sure what's going on there, either.

I spotted a flat line at about 52 PSI EBP (that might go to 53 PSI with the new BARO number). That is the "saturation" point of your EBP sensor, meaning it is as high as the sensor reads.

I wonder if the injector puking oil before replacement might have clogged up EBP? I'll have to check it.

This is stock turbo with the red line mod and the 7-turn mod? If 24 is really max with an analog gauge, something is either bleeding air (likely the wastegate), or your turbo needs attention.
I didn't remove the redline yet, it is attached. Earlier this year I suspected my wastegate actuator as weak.

I have a rebuild kit that I did NOT put in the turbo. I will if I need to.

I plan on running a boost leak test before pulling the turbo off. I think I'll do that today, then remove redline and do another run.

Thanks, guys!

Old 12-19-2017, 08:36 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by tjmike
Is you ECU tuned to work with the new injectors?

If yes then don't you need an external gauge to properly measure boost?
It does have a "starter tune" on it, meaning, "Here's the first basic tune, try it and we'll go from there"

I take that as a baseline that we have to build to match my truck. We are at the very beginning

External gauge? I have to make a mount for my gauges and run them for the boost and such.

Originally Posted by IDI-Charlie
The BARO missing could explain it a bit, as IIRC one's boost value is calculated by comparing the BARO value to the MAP value. Correct me if I am wrong on that though.
The PID I am using is "Boost (Ford specific)(psi)" which should directly provide the corrected boost value. But until I can confirm BARO is working properly (I have the right PID now), I can't say for sure.

An external gauge would be nice about now

An interesting note is the shifting is extremely smooth compared to the GH tunes I was running- even under heavy acceleration up hill

Old 12-20-2017, 06:25 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by ExPACamper
I know it bugs you to see a scale applied to FIPW, but it moves the line up into the graph where it can be seen

I wonder if the injector puking oil before replacement might have clogged up EBP? I'll have to check it.
If you use the true microseconds number (you maxed out at 3100 microseconds), you can use the scale on the right... plenty of visibility there.

Your EBP is reading perfectly, I just pointed out that your WOT run maxed out the EBP sensor. This is normal for a jacked-up 7.3L.

Old 12-20-2017, 10:45 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Some more fun Guess which graph is Rich's favorite? Maybe he will explain HPOI ?

Here are runs from yesterday. I found bad connector for UVCH afterwards when running buzz test. Likely it is the source of the miss, which inhibits this tune. BARO still artificial 14.7, though we are a bit lower here.

Also notice something about the boost. See it?

Zoomed into same dataset:

Air plotted graphs, two different pieces of the same data:

Special HPOI graph:

Obvious leak, most likely boot. You can see where it build to 25psi then drops suddenly and never builds back up.

Old 12-20-2017, 06:37 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Some supporting data from AE. The rotational velocity in #5 is very high, maybe a tell-tale sign? Maybe an opportunity to see a diagnostic capability in PERDELS without running a Cylinder Contribution Test?

Old 12-21-2017, 06:36 AM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 786 Likes on 575 Posts
Looks like you boost drops off around 25psi. Do you have a boost fooler to prevent defueling? Or maybe an intake leak that shows up at that pressure?

What's the fuel pressure doing while this is happening? 5% on 3 and 8% on 8 could just be a crappy grey CPS but maybe that's possible with low fuel pressure.

Any CEL?

Quick Reply: Graphing my new injectors...analysis?