1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Engine Removal Thread! (With humor and sadness)

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 09:38 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Be careful with that pressure washer. You didn't pull the IDM from the driver's front wheel well area...don't want to get it wet

You have another 7.3L there, right? Disconnect its 42-pin connector and take special note of how and *where* it disconnects. There are several pieces of plastic together and it does NOT come apart at the clips for removal...

...though it *may* be an option if you end up having to cut and remove that bolt

Try that low energy battery impact suggestion I gave in your other thread.

Old 12-29-2017, 01:48 AM
Quick444
Fleet Mechanic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Good thinking. How incredibly frustrating the connector is. I guess it being stuck together is better than not going back together.

Old 12-29-2017, 07:44 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
I found this pic of the 42 pin connector.

See what I mean about it coming apart oddly- maybe in a different part than one might think?

I've never had one disassembled- not sure if you could remove the engine side cap that covers the wires to get access to the threaded nut, or even if the hole goes clear through to spray in WD40?

Does the bolt move at all in either direction?

Edit: I see you already found this thread, which has about as much info as one could hope for on the 42 pin connector being stuck and repair and such. I'm linking it here for future searches by others: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-the-42-a.html

Old 12-29-2017, 08:03 AM
Quick444
Fleet Mechanic

The nut does spin both ways, with just a bit of resistance at first. I do need to play with it some more now that I'm waiting on parts.

I opted to go ahead and order a replacement blank pin last night.

I'll keep playing with it when I some time and worse comes to worst, I'll take the time to relocate the wires into a new connector. You know, because I'm trying to plan for all scenarios, fix my truck and keep myself under a long to do list.

Old 12-29-2017, 09:12 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Quick444
The nut does spin both ways, with just a bit of resistance at first. I do need to play with it some more now that I'm waiting on parts.
I haven't seen the inside of the connector bolt, but it seems to act like a bolt with a collar. Loosen a turn or so, then the connector has to catch up (wiggle loose a little), loosen bolt some more until it gets stiff, wiggle connector, etc.

Same with tightening.

It seems like the setup was designed for the connector to draw the connector together or force apart as the bolt is tightened or loosened.

I don't like to rely on such designs (similar to PCM connector) exclusively. I prefer to help the connector apart or together.

I wiggle connectors along the long access, not the short. (front to back, not up and down). In my many years of electronics experience, short axis flexing are more likely to break connectors or damage pins.

Old 12-29-2017, 09:31 AM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
I would take a can of compressed air and clean the connectors and blow all the dust and debris out of it. There is John suggested, a little bit of WD-40 or even electrical connection cleaner to create sort of a lubricant to help the plug pull a part. Based on what I've seen it looks like the bolt sort of pushes the connector apart but then you have to wiggle everything to get it to actually pull apart. If it hasn't been a part in a long time all the dirt debris heat cycles could have it together pretty good. I think if you lubricate it and just keep fidgeting with that you might get lucky . Good luck!

Old 12-29-2017, 04:30 PM
Quick444
Fleet Mechanic

Thanks for the ideas guys, I'll be sure to let you guys know what happens with my attack plan.

Had to go to the dentist today, cavity filling. Fun times! Unfortunately, it was the second most painful thing I'd experience today.

Dropped the driveline off to have it inspected.

Front shaft looks great, rear shaft looks great EXCEPT:

What for it.

At some point, someone had the slip joint apart on the rear shaft. When putting it back together, instead of clocking as it should be, they ended up forcing the two pieces together out of sync. Isn't that just awesome?

At any rate, got a quote to have ujoints replaced and this slip joint, cut, welded and balanced. Going to just go ahead and do it.

Would be a stupid place to finally draw a line in the sand to not spend a dollar more.

At this rate, I'm going to have one of the nicest and newest 7.3s in the state of Alaska by the time this "project" goes back together.

Old 12-29-2017, 04:33 PM
Quick444
Fleet Mechanic

On the bright side: My Riffraff order came in.

Will probably spend the 2nd of January in the garage, doing most of my reseal.

No word on the moroso oil pan yet.
Drive shaft should be done by end of next week.
Injectors should be on their way back to me next week as well.

Gonna be pretty busy in a week, I think.

Old 12-29-2017, 06:26 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Does it still count as a Repair/Restoration when you are only reusing the tailgate and the front left lugnuts?

May as well get it once and done! Do you have oil, and oil+fuel filters? Antifreeze?

Old 12-29-2017, 07:05 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,192 Likes on 818 Posts
Nice, keep up the good work Alex, cant wait for the final results and your expression when you hear the beast roar for the first time.

Old 12-30-2017, 09:58 PM
Quick444
Fleet Mechanic

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I'm trying REALLY HARD to not be discouraged on this project and to think of the long term enjoyment I'll have out of this truck.

Went through my big order from Riffraff. Ended up without the injector tool that I had rented. Waiting to hear back on its ETA, hopefully it isn't too far out or I might be hunting locally.

Did some mild surface prep and found a gnarly groove on the rear main. Fortunately the new rear main seal includes a wear ring.

Going to try and enjoy the weekend and New Years without thinking of this project. With a couple big components not even on the way yet, I'm going to really be under the gun up to the last minute. Arg.

On the bright side: Opening boxes of parts is always fun!

Old 12-30-2017, 10:47 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Keep the faith! It'll come together...and yeah, all those parts

Old 12-31-2017, 08:18 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
What's the reason for the new front cover?

Old 12-31-2017, 08:39 PM
Quick444
Fleet Mechanic

Originally Posted by F350-6
What's the reason for the new front cover?
That is my old cover, actually. My room mate took some parts in to wash them at a hot tank at his place of work. They just happen to be in a box next to my goodies.

Old 12-31-2017, 09:30 PM
Stebs
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I guess it's safe to say how good of Christmas clay is having this year..

Quick Reply: Engine Removal Thread! (With humor and sadness)