Engine Removal Thread! (With humor and sadness) - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Engine Removal Thread! (With humor and sadness)

Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 12-15-2017, 10:09 AM
Quick444
Posting Guru
Quick444 has a great reputation on FTE.Quick444 has a great reputation on FTE.Quick444 has a great reputation on FTE.Quick444 has a great reputation on FTE.Quick444 has a great reputation on FTE.Quick444 has a great reputation on FTE.

Good morning everyone!

You know, the last time I pulled a 7.3 motor (on the side of a dirt road in Alaska) I ended up becoming a heavy equipment mechanic for a living. Wonder what will happen this time?

Compared to my original engine removal thread, I hope to have more cement and proper tooling this go around.

As planned, I have begun tearing into my 2000 F350 in hopes of having back together in a month, and on the road to Phoenix.

For those of you that don't know, I bought this truck instead of fixing my beloved F250 Mugly. I bought this truck because it was priced right, offered most of the mods I didn't have, a long bed, a manual and a King Ranch swapped interior.

I'm hoping to use this truck to drive to and from Baja Mexico from Alaska, several times as I pursue my dream of racing in the Baja 1000.

I bought this truck for pretty cheap due to a never ending oil leak around the transmission/bell housing area. I planned to just yank the motor when I bought it so I'm not upset at these events at all. Its quite fun if you are a gluten for punishment.

Things I learned:

- Wiring is a disaster.
- Headlights were a disaster.
- King Ranch heated seat wiring is a disaster
- Someone has spilled many coffees in this truck.
- Someone once had many lights hanging off the front of this truck.
- Someone went crazy with LED lights on this truck.
- Both grounds were pretty much loose.
- The EBPV was chicken wired open.
- I really hate people.

Plans:
- Inspect motor
- Inspect clutch
- Pull interior and deep clean
- Repair and clean up wiring
- S&B Intake
- MBRP 5 inch exhaust
- Hydra with 1023 custom tunes
- ISS Pro Gauges

For those haven't seen it. Driving it home from Fairbanks, to Anchorage.

Old 12-15-2017, 10:11 AM
Quick444
Posting Guru
Quick444 has a great reputation on FTE.Quick444 has a great reputation on FTE.Quick444 has a great reputation on FTE.Quick444 has a great reputation on FTE.Quick444 has a great reputation on FTE.Quick444 has a great reputation on FTE.
Don't get me wrong. I love the King Ranch seats, but it has proven to be a hell of a short cut job and that irks me.

Photo of the engine.

The head light housings proved to be quite useless. A 02 housing with retrofit is in the works.

Yes the light bar is going to stay up there for now.

Old 12-15-2017, 10:15 AM
Quick444
Posting Guru
Here are some current photos after yesterday's work.

The sad excuse for an air horn.

An example of how the headlights were wired.

Batteries:

Relay for the old off road light setup.

Old 12-15-2017, 10:20 AM
Quick444
Posting Guru
Based on the wiring under the dash, the stains on the carpet and the questionable wiring everywhere else, I made the impulse decision to yank the interior. I wanted to go over the stereo wiring, give the leather seats and interior a deep cleaning and know it went back together in a way I could be happy with.

I'm not a wiring pro but I detest a truck full of short cuts.

At this point, if I spent an extra 2,000 dollars and avoid breaking down anywhere away from Alaska, it was worth the money.

I'm not sure what is going on here. The driver's seat was sort of plugged into a harness and the passenger side of the harness was located under the back seat with wires spliced and going to the passenger side. Very strange.

As it all sits this morning:

Old 12-15-2017, 11:30 AM
Walleye Hunter
Postmaster
Walleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to behold
You did all that, in one day, outside in AK, in the winter? God bless you young man, you are a real trooper.

Old 12-15-2017, 12:48 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
ExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant future
Can't wait to see your results!

Looks like someone had to run makeshift power to the seats with that red wire?

Keep up the fast work!

Old 12-15-2017, 04:19 PM
Jaime74656
Another cautionary tale
Jaime74656 is a name known to allJaime74656 is a name known to allJaime74656 is a name known to allJaime74656 is a name known to allJaime74656 is a name known to allJaime74656 is a name known to all
Is that a Throughbread Diesel hoody on the front passenger seat in one of your pictures?

Nice work ore my friend! What is to become of Muggly? Did he go to another owner?

Old 12-15-2017, 06:31 PM
Ford79
Ford79 has much to be proud ofFord79 has much to be proud ofFord79 has much to be proud ofFord79 has much to be proud ofFord79 has much to be proud ofFord79 has much to be proud ofFord79 has much to be proud ofFord79 has much to be proud of
Looking good Alex.
Looks like a lot better environment to work in than last time.

Old 12-15-2017, 06:43 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
F350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputation
Completely boring compared to the last engine pull thread.

But I will say that does appear to be the first truck I've seen that actually looks level in the photo. Most look nose high to me, but then again I prefer the rear end high raked look.

As for the seats, I'd suggest either experiment yourself, or find a local seat shop you can bring your driver seat to and get some additional foam put in there. I replaced the foam in my 02 and it was good for a while, but didn't last nearly as long as the original. A seat guy added some shaved foam in just the right places and made the seat much more comfortable.

Old 12-15-2017, 10:01 PM
Quick444
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
You did all that, in one day, outside in AK, in the winter? God bless you young man, you are a real trooper.
Yessir! I had a friend helping me for the two days he could spare. He is going out of country for a month and upon his return, he will be joining me on our trip to Phoenix. The look in his face was priceless, as he realized the next time he returns, I'm going to convince him to hop in and drive to Arizona with me.

Originally Posted by ExPACamper View Post
Can't wait to see your results!

Looks like someone had to run makeshift power to the seats with that red wire?

Keep up the fast work!
Thanks! I do believe that is was happened with the wiring, but why the passenger seat harness was dragged towards the back seat is beyond me.

Originally Posted by Jaime74656 View Post
Is that a Throughbread Diesel hoody on the front passenger seat in one of your pictures?

Nice work ore my friend! What is to become of Muggly? Did he go to another owner?
It is not one of those hoodies.

Mugly remains parked on the side of my house. She is quietly bitching up a storm over the newest lady in my life, but everyone knows her day will come. For my goals, the long bed was something I needed to buy, instead of planning on making time for a frame extension with Mugly.

Originally Posted by Ford79 View Post
Looking good Alex.
Looks like a lot better environment to work in than last time.
Originally Posted by F350-6 View Post
Completely boring compared to the last engine pull thread.
Right? What is this BS of proper tooling and even a friend to help?

Old 12-15-2017, 10:08 PM
Quick444
Posting Guru
Well, the motor is out! For my first rodeo, it took longer than expected but it wasn't difficult. I mean with a manual transmission.

Found more odd and ends I'm not pleased with. Glad to be doing all of this honestly. So many variables could have left us on the side of the road along the way.

This is going to cost thousands more than I planned, but a dollar spent know is probably worth many dollars saved later. I hope.

Still can't pin point the oil leak yet. Many orings and gaskets were replaced, new HPOP lines as well. There is oil everywhere!

My engine stand will not hold this thing up, so I'm off to buy a 2 tonner tomorrow.

I found one of the plug bases in the back of the HPOP to extremely loose, yet that doesn't seem to be the source of recent oil leaks.

I really enjoy how these fuel fittings were installed.

Old 12-15-2017, 10:29 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
ExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant future
Diesel fuel leaks are sometimes hard to distinguish from oil leaks.

Are you suspecting your fuel fittings in the head?

Old 12-15-2017, 10:53 PM
Quick444
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ExPACamper View Post
Diesel fuel leaks are sometimes hard to distinguish from oil leaks.

Are you suspecting your fuel fittings in the head?
I'm actually not suspecting those fittings but it was upsetting to find.

I'm 99% certain that the oil leak is engine oil as I was having to top off my motor. I'd like hope that after all of this work, I find a toasted rear main seal. Even as unlikely as it is. I really don't know what else to find in the V.

I had constant drips of oil out the bell housing after a drive of any length.

Old 12-15-2017, 11:06 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
The plug with the square socket has been known to leak. There is a repair oring, I think, for it.

I recently went through a LOT of leak "detectiving" including dye. One of the leaks I found was the cap and seal on the back of the EBPV.

Without running the engine, it might be harder to find, unless you just seal it all up

Are you sure that fuel tap isn't supposed to be angled? From reaching to the back, mine feels angled, but I don't know for sure. Might be a thing to know for sure?

Old 12-15-2017, 11:46 PM
Quick444
Posting Guru
I would be extremely thrilled if those fittings were not cross threaded. However, everything else being a disaster on the truck, I'm expecting that to be the case.

Great call on those plugs, both look pretty wet and it isn't something I would have thought of.

The turbo pedestal is also gutted, so I'm worrying if that could have been a source of the leak.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine Removal Thread! (With humor and sadness)

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.