Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'93 F250 dual tanks - drop tanks or pull bed?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 05:28 PM
DrCharles
Tuned
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Question '93 F250 dual tanks - drop tanks or pull bed?

My F250 7.3 IDI has the 1/4 tank problem (pickup head fell off inside tank, almost certainly) definitely in the front tank. Haven't tried the rear tank yet but I'll bet it's the same.

So, given that I want to repair/replace both pickups, would I be better off to drop each tank, or just remove the bed (six rusty bolts) which would greatly improve access to the tanks and the fuel lines which may well also need work...

Opinions either way?
thanks.

Old 12-14-2017, 05:49 PM
Eddiec1564
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Get four strong helpers and pull the bed. If the bed bolts are rusty and bad, just use a 4" grinder and cut the heads off inside the bed and replace them. Had to do that on a 92 F150 6 months ago.

Only problem I did not have 3 strong helpers to help pull the bed off...... Used a long post jack and some 4x4's to crib the bed up enough to get to the tanks. Took about 3 hours(probly half that with helpers) to R&R bed AND fix both tanks. The day before 6+ hours JUST to drop and try to get the rear tank back in! Also found ate up( $%$# rats) wire harness while the bed was off and fixed it too.

Old 12-14-2017, 05:56 PM
DrCharles
Tuned
Thanks!

I only have access to one strong helper, but he does have a backhoe and we have moved far heavier objects than a pickup bed (like my four-post lift that came in an 18 foot long, 1700 lb box) by slinging from the bucket

Old 12-14-2017, 06:10 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 970 Likes on 766 Posts
2 men can lift a bed off it's not that heavy, but if you have a tractor by all means. Don't forget to disconnect both filler tubes and the electrical harness to the tail lights first.

Old 12-15-2017, 09:40 AM
My4Fordtrucks
Lead Driver
Received 1,363 Likes on 1,076 Posts
Originally Posted by Eddiec1564

Only problem I did not have 3 strong helpers to help pull the bed off...... Used a long post jack and some 4x4's to crib the bed up enough to get to the tanks. Took about 3 hours(probly half that with helpers) to R&R bed AND fix both tanks. The day before 6+ hours JUST to drop and try to get the rear tank back in! Also found ate up( $%$# rats) wire harness while the bed was off and fixed it too.
Seriously? Over 6 hours and you still didn’t get the tank out? Worst case scenario is to cut the bolts for the straps. IMO it is much easier to drop the tanks than pull the bed. You need to disconnect the filler neck(s) in either case

Old 12-15-2017, 05:05 PM
Eddiec1564
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by My4Fordtrucks
Seriously? Over 6 hours and you still didn’t get the tank out? Worst case scenario is to cut the bolts for the straps. IMO it is much easier to drop the tanks than pull the bed. You need to disconnect the filler neck(s) in either case

Getting the rear tank out was no problem, about 30 min. Trying to put it back in by my self was the 5.5 hour cussing job. That rear tank would hang up on the frame and x-member and trying to get filler tube back in was a PITA. After getting it back in place, found the fuel pump/sending unit plug fell off and I could not get my hands up in there to reseat it. Had to redrop it just enough to get my hands on the plug, fix that then the PITA filler tube again. The next day out came the grinder and 3 of 6 bed bolts heads were ground out and bed lifted.

I have done the side tanks before and they are not as bad as the rear tank! The flange of the rear tank grabs everything and you got to get it square in the frame while dealing with the filler tube......

Old 12-15-2017, 06:33 PM
'89F2urd
Lead Driver
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts
I never understood this debate. If I were to race myself in a fuel pump swap contest, the me that dropped the tanks would smoke the me who pulled the bed. The front tank especially, it's so easy....the rear tank is definitely a 1.5 man job, but I've always been able to bull through it with knees and determination.

Old 12-15-2017, 07:31 PM
westcoasting
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by '89F2urd
I never understood this debate. If I were to race myself in a fuel pump swap contest, the me that dropped the tanks would smoke the me who pulled the bed. The front tank especially, it's so easy....the rear tank is definitely a 1.5 man job, but I've always been able to bull through it with knees and determination.
I agree! Drop the tanks, leave the bed unless you wanted to do a bunch of other work to it.

Old 12-15-2017, 07:42 PM
Willigaf
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That settles it for me. I've been wondering if I should pull the bed but I know I'll find something I don't want to screw with yet! Drop tanks it is haha

Old 12-15-2017, 07:50 PM
DrCharles
Tuned
I figured there would be proponents of both approaches

However - I have not enough "knees and determination"... Actually the arthritis in my knee is pretty minor, but my rotator cuff problem on my dominant side really makes it unpleasant to work under vehicles constantly reaching up. Especially with grease, dirt and diesel falling in my face, hair and running down my arm while my glasses fog up or fall up my nose!

In addition there are three small areas rusted through the bed, right along the frame cross member that's a few feet forward of the tailgate. So I need to see how bad that is and probably do some welding repair on the bed.

With the bed off I can: fix both tank pickups, fix the bed floor, renew all rubber lines (and possibly replace the fuel tank selector valve if needed), check all the wiring and replace as needed. Anything that can go wrong with this truck probably has or will!

I think I'd rather take the bed off, then be able to do everything from above.

Old 12-15-2017, 08:04 PM
'89F2urd
Lead Driver
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts
Doc Charles, you can use ratchet straps to pull the tank up into position so that you needn't support it at all, just connect the lines and then start on the tank straps. It takes longer than the "beast it to get it done" method, but it's been suggested here a lot and is certainly a viable alternative. I'm still young and vibrant, in 20 years I might not ever consider enduring the strain and taking the extra step.

Old 12-16-2017, 06:43 AM
My4Fordtrucks
Lead Driver
Received 1,363 Likes on 1,076 Posts
I don’t use “knees and determination”. I have a floor jack to lift the tank and hold it in place. I have used this method on my pickup, Broncos and cars.

Old 12-16-2017, 08:11 AM
390puller
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just replaced both fuel pumps on mine. I say pull the bed off, lots of room to work and disconnecting everything is easier. Having a 2 post lift helps too!

Old 12-16-2017, 09:02 AM
oldproudvet
Tuned
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
pick up the bed! Lets you can in there with a pressure washer and really clean, particularlly along the frame rail on the left side where the brake lines and fuel lines are clipped. Massive amounts of debris there and your rear brake line will eventually rot thru. I've pulled tanks over the years and am never happy with the crap up there dropping all over the place when are trying to hook up again. My 89 was a debris field in there. It's a very easy job. The only bolt that was stinky was the left side one right were the fuel lines run. On the 89 the lines are nylon and I couldn't use heat. But the head ground off quickly.

Old 12-16-2017, 01:16 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
I have the bed off these trucks in less than an hour

Then it is a stand up job to replace the sending unit/fuel pump.You can also see everything is working correctly BEFORE the bed goes on.

then there is all the other maintenance you can go while the bed is off. Clean/pain the frame, change shocks, change spring hangars, inspect fuel/brake lines, etc

Quick Reply: '93 F250 dual tanks - drop tanks or pull bed?