No hot start. - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

No hot start.

Old 12-06-2017, 07:41 PM
New User

F250.stroked is starting off with a positive reputation.
No hot start.

so whenever Iím starting it for the first time in the morning I let it cycle through the plugs twice and let my airdrop pump cut off. It turns over pretty slow and sounds weak but it always fires right off. Then if I were to go through a drive through and turn the engine off then go to turn it right back on it wonít start. It will spin over fine but just wonít fire. I have to wait like 5 minutes then when I try to start it after 5 minutes it will take atleast 10 seconds to fire. Any ideas what it could be? I have a high voltage FICM. Truck has stage 2 power max turbo, industrial injection injectors, and fully bullet proofed
Old 12-06-2017, 08:46 PM
Post Fiend

WatsonR is a splendid one to beholdWatsonR is a splendid one to beholdWatsonR is a splendid one to beholdWatsonR is a splendid one to beholdWatsonR is a splendid one to beholdWatsonR is a splendid one to behold
Your asking for trouble cycling the key twice for glow plugs... the tips have been known to come off and go through the motor. The extra heat causes them to crack/melt or whatever they may do. The plugs are on well after the wait to start light goes out. Key it, wait for the light to extinguish and start it.

Vacuum pump has nothing to do with it.

You have a high pressure leak internal to the motor. The hot oil is thin, finds an opening to leak from (o-ring, seal), so it doesn't build enough pressure to start.

Cold oil builds pressure easier (clogs the opening)... why waiting allows a start, the oil cooled down. Eventually, you'll get a no-start cold if the leak gets bad enough.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:44 PM
New User

Thanks for the response. That makes since Iíve had a oil leak from the rocker box for about a year now and my issue is just now becoming more and more noticible. I didnít think that would cause it because itís a very very minor leak. Is there any other explanation out of curiosity for the no start? Just trying to learn as much as I can!
Old 12-06-2017, 09:58 PM
Posting Guru

FiznUKa has a good reputation on FTE.FiznUKa has a good reputation on FTE.FiznUKa has a good reputation on FTE.
What year truck and model?
Old 12-06-2017, 10:07 PM
Post Fiend

WatsonR is a splendid one to beholdWatsonR is a splendid one to beholdWatsonR is a splendid one to beholdWatsonR is a splendid one to beholdWatsonR is a splendid one to beholdWatsonR is a splendid one to behold
Not a rocker box leak causing this... a high pressure leak. Injector top seal, nipple cup, stand pipe, dummy plug, branch tube/J tube, HPOP seal, STC fitting.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:09 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiznUKa View Post
What year truck and model?
2006 f250 xlt. 6.0
Old 12-06-2017, 10:12 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatsonR View Post
Not a rocker box leak causing this... a high pressure leak. Injector top seal, nipple cup, stand pipe, dummy plug, branch tube/J tube, HPOP seal, STC fitting.
Those sound much better to fix than tearing the motor apart! Thanks for the tips
Old 12-06-2017, 10:19 PM
Post Fiend

Hate to tell you this Doctor... your going in. All of these involve removing parts, just a matter of how many.

Do you have the OEM oil cap and filter installed? You will need to do an air test to find the leak. Reading material for your viewing pleasure: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/3...ch-folder.html

You will find several posts about finding/fixing oil leaks.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:29 AM
Posting Guru

DarkStarMedia has a good reputation on FTE.DarkStarMedia has a good reputation on FTE.DarkStarMedia has a good reputation on FTE.
Also, it is highly adviseable to get some way of monitoring live data.

Richard
Old 12-07-2017, 01:38 PM
Senior User

xcrsp440 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by F250.stroked View Post
Thanks for the response. That makes since Iíve had a oil leak from the rocker box for about a year now and my issue is just now becoming more and more noticible. I didnít think that would cause it because itís a very very minor leak. Is there any other explanation out of curiosity for the no start? Just trying to learn as much as I can!
Just in case you are not aware. The injectors use oil pressure to fire. But not the same oil pressure that the engine bearings use.
There is a high pressure oil pump in the engine that takes the engine oil and really cranks up the pressure and this pressure is what may be leaking out of the internal plumbing someplace. If you donít have at least 500psi, injectors donít work.

Some engine monitoring apps will tell you how much pressure you are building. If it is adequate then you have problems elsewhere. If the pressure is too low, start looking for leaks.