Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Hitting a deer at 80mph - To Valance or not to Valance? / Bumper Choices

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 11:43 AM
M-S-G
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hitting a deer at 80mph - To Valance or not to Valance? / Bumper Choices

Here is what our truck looks like after running over some animals. Not embedding image as it's NSFW.
https://imgur.com/a/ysfLd

Now it's time to deal with repairs.
Apparently there are two choices for a bumper for our trucks. One 'solid' chrome piece and one with a plastic addon called ' valance'.
Is there a difference in fitment? I do have a front hitch and presently use a two piece bumper or I did until I shredded some deer at 80mph.

Let me know your thoughts on aesthetics and fit if any.

The below ebay auction shows the grill with 'valance' option

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Front-B...JY9lgX&vxp=mtr

This one shows a single-piece bumper

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Bumpe...lZrPNF&vxp=mtr

Old 12-05-2017, 12:17 PM
ZachinCO
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I think I'd be looking at an aftermarket if I took out a deer. The stock bumper doesn't look as bad as I thought it would.

Old 12-05-2017, 12:44 PM
M-S-G
Senior User
Originally Posted by ZachinCO
I think I'd be looking at an aftermarket if I took out a deer. The stock bumper doesn't look as bad as I thought it would.
Grille guard took care of snapping the deer in half and I'm planning on keeping it.

Aftermarket bumpers are 800+, can't really justify that where my current setup plowed right through it.

Old 12-05-2017, 04:48 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,853 Posts
I hate the plastic valance on my OEM bumper. It bugs me every time I approach the truck from the front or sides.

There is a third option, there was a Platinum edition all chrome bumper available for our year of trucks. It is on Ebay, but you need to paint/coat the inside before mounting.

Here is a link about it and how I learned about the option.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-cladding.html

The Platinum bumper is the one I plan to get if/when i swap out my valance version.

Old 12-05-2017, 05:10 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Ranch Hand full replacement and don't look back

Old 12-05-2017, 05:47 PM
jstihl
Cargo Master

Received 323 Likes on 264 Posts
Originally Posted by BBslider001
Ranch Hand full replacement and don't look back
what he said, I just put one of my truck and love it! If you are in an area with a good chance of hitting animals, these are the must have bumpers. Look into Tuff country or Ranch Hand Legend. I got the Tuff country and it is built very well

Old 12-05-2017, 08:08 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
The money you'll save in buying meat fur the next 2mon, will offset the purchase of your ranch hand now..😉

Old 12-05-2017, 09:34 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
An older pic of my chrome bumper with grill guard:

That's with the older tires and such, but shows the looks of the combo.

My grill guard has one approx 60mph notch on its belt, too. I had to loosen the tilt adjustment bolts and tip it back forward about 3/4" or so.

Looks like I was more fortunate than you. It appears the deer went wide and low...did you hit it with the wheel and launch into the air, Dukes of Hazzard style?

Old 12-06-2017, 10:48 AM
M-S-G
Senior User
Originally Posted by Sous
I hate the plastic valance on my OEM bumper. It bugs me every time I approach the truck from the front or sides.

There is a third option, there was a Platinum edition all chrome bumper available for our year of trucks. It is on Ebay, but you need to paint/coat the inside before mounting.

Here is a link about it and how I learned about the option.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-cladding.html

The Platinum bumper is the one I plan to get if/when i swap out my valance version.
I'm confused. I thought the 'no valance' is exactly what you posted - 'platinum' no plastic bumper.

Me thinks the second option is a reman of the platinum no-valance bumper re-painted gray.
What is the difference between second and third option?

Old 12-06-2017, 10:56 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
I apologize for the confusion. The last line in my post indicates that I plan to get the Platinum edition bumper (no valance) one day to replace the OEM (valance included) bumper that I currently have.

The difference between the second and third option is that the second is not chromed, but painted gray and the third option is chromed already. It is advised to put a coating of paint on the underside of the third option though, just to extend the life of the bumper.

Old 12-06-2017, 11:30 AM
M-S-G
Senior User
I apologize for the confusion. The last line in my post indicates that I plan to get the Platinum edition bumper (no valance) one day to replace the OEM (valance included) bumper that I currently have.

The difference between the second and third option is that the second is not chromed, but painted gray and the third option is chromed already. It is advised to put a coating of paint on the underside of the third option though, just to extend the life of the bumper.
Got it. Thank you for the details.

The second option...isn't really an OEM as far as I can tell which makes me suspect it's a repaint of the 'platinum' bumper you mentioned.

Thanks again for your input, going to order the Non-valance grey bumper and a matching grill on Amazon which brings this combo to a crazy 220$ shipped.

Old 12-06-2017, 11:47 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Nothing on clist? Good time to upgrade to the 05 style

Old 12-06-2017, 12:03 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Are you planning to have the bumper painted or some other reason you are going with the gray?

Old 12-11-2017, 12:05 PM
M-S-G
Senior User
Are you planning to have the bumper painted or some other reason you are going with the gray?
I think chrome is the ugliest part of the car up front. They same people that sell the grey one will paint it using color code.

How bad do you think the match will be after 18 years in the sun?

Why would I get an 05 bumper? Looks the same to me.

Old 12-11-2017, 03:54 PM
Njstern87
Tuned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
I personally like the valance, breaks up all the chrome. I think the 05-07 with chrome and the painted valance (think lariat trim) look best, but that's me.

Quick Reply: Hitting a deer at 80mph - To Valance or not to Valance? / Bumper Choices