1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Spare the tranny, don't go 80% injectors?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 09:52 PM
RenoHuskerDu
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
My K&N is cloth. I'm ready to toss it.

But the 6637 mod is noisy. The truck's noisy enough already. I'd like to retrofit Excursion sound deadening pack one of these days.

https://www.sbfilters.com/98-03-powe...d-air-intake-1

Old 12-03-2017, 09:58 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
You want noisy? Get that filter. I have one. It roars like a pride of lions.

Old 12-03-2017, 10:04 PM
RenoHuskerDu
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by andym
You want noisy? Get that filter. I have one. It roars like a pride of lions.
Which, the 6637? No, don't want more noisy. Wife is noisy enough already. She's always saying I don't listen to her, or something like that.

Old 12-03-2017, 10:09 PM
Rikster-7700
Fleet Mechanic
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Well you may want to look at AIS or S&B. The latter for if you plan to do any kind of turbo mods at all. The AIS is good for stock type airflow

Old 12-04-2017, 06:52 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by RenoHuskerDu
My K&N is cloth. I'm ready to toss it.

But the 6637 mod is noisy. The truck's noisy enough already. I'd like to retrofit Excursion sound deadening pack one of these days.

https://www.sbfilters.com/98-03-powe...d-air-intake-1
The S&B in your link is the newest version of the one I run. I get about 10,000 mile on a filter before it needs changing. It's a great breather, and it's about as quiet as you can get while still feeding bigger sticks. Nothing is as quiet and clean as the AIS, but it can't feed anything above stock turbo and injectors. I hated the need to get rid of my AIS, but more fuel needs more air.

I get all the mods and Ford parts I can at Riffraff Diesel. Only after checking if Clay has it, do I then find other vendors.

Old 12-04-2017, 06:56 AM
andym
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by RenoHuskerDu
Which, the 6637? No, don't want more noisy. Wife is noisy enough already. She's always saying I don't listen to her, or something like that.
No, the one in the link directly above my post.

I have an S&B... I find it to be quite noisy under load. I also have a 38R which is noisy all the time, and when pulling a grade in 3rd gear with 20lbs of boost, you can't even hear the turbo over the intake.

Old 12-04-2017, 09:18 AM
HD Rider
Cargo Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by andym
No, the one in the link directly above my post.

I have an S&B... I find it to be quite noisy under load. I also have a 38R which is noisy all the time, and when pulling a grade in 3rd gear with 20lbs of boost, you can't even hear the turbo over the intake.
I have the latest S&B/38r and find it to be much quieter than a 6637/stock turbo. Not as quiet as an AIS however.

Old 12-04-2017, 01:07 PM
brandon_oma#692
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 00t444e
Then you would end up with a ZF 6 speed .
Originally Posted by Sous
SHUSH Sous we do not want everyone to jump on the manual transmission bandwagon.

Old 12-04-2017, 05:19 PM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,972 Likes on 1,107 Posts
we do not want everyone to jump on the manual transmission bandwagon.
​​​​​​​I spent the first 20 years of my driving career with a manual transmission and you have nothing to fear.... You will never get me to own a zf6 or any manual transmission behind a turbo diesel engine ever again. Gasoline engines are one thing, but a manual behind a turbo diesel sucks. Especially when it's a clunky piece of crap like a zf6

Old 12-04-2017, 05:27 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,853 Posts
Originally Posted by cleatus12r
​​​​​​​I spent the first 20 years of my driving career with a manual transmission and you have nothing to fear.... You will never get me to own a zf6 or any manual transmission behind a turbo diesel engine ever again. Gasoline engines are one thing, but a manual behind a turbo diesel sucks. Especially when it's a clunky piece of crap like a zf6
Matter of opinion and I am very grateful for the ZF6 manual in my truck. It is a powerhouse that does everything I have ever asked of it, even when the clutch was fried. We looked for just over 8 months for this truck and I am glad we found it.

I am also grateful we live in a country where we have the choice.

Just like you prefer all 4 seasons, where as I will be just fine if I never see more than a day of light snow ever again. I do enjoy the mountains of western Montana and northern Idaho, but not during the winter. We have family all up through there and they know they will never see me up there during this time of year.

Old 12-04-2017, 05:56 PM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,972 Likes on 1,107 Posts
Originally Posted by Sous
Matter of opinion

Yep, like most of the drivel that comes out of my facehole.

Two things for me:

Coming from an agricultural background and no longer NEEDING manual transmissions for day-to-day things, I have found that it's just easy to put the lever in "D" or "R" and I'm lazy. Additionally, selecting one's own gear is nice, but having the ability to tune an automatic to do exactly what I want helps too.

Four of the nine 7.3L pickups at work (along with the two Dodges powered by obnoxious stationary genset engines) are manuals and the "truck drivers" keep me busy enough with clutch replacements in their Kenworth/Peterbilt/CAT trucks so I don't need any help with more work from people who SHOULD be driving automatics anyway.

I'm just sour on them....and the engineer who came up with the gate spacing needs to be kicked in the junk.

Old 12-04-2017, 06:17 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,853 Posts
Yep, like most of the drivel that comes out of my facehole.

Two things for me:

Coming from an agricultural background and no longer NEEDING manual transmissions for day-to-day things, I have found that it's just easy to put the lever in "D" or "R" and I'm lazy. Additionally, selecting one's own gear is nice, but having the ability to tune an automatic to do exactly what I want helps too.

Four of the nine 7.3L pickups at work (along with the two Dodges powered by obnoxious stationary genset engines) are manuals and the "truck drivers" keep me busy enough with clutch replacements in their Kenworth/Peterbilt/CAT trucks so I don't need any help with more work from people who SHOULD be driving automatics anyway.

I'm just sour on them....and the engineer who came up with the gate spacing needs to be kicked in the junk.
I agree with you 100% that if I had the ability to tune the 4R100 transmission to work the way I wanted, modify it (hardware wise) the way I wanted and had to deal with manuals all day I would have called the ZF6 crap too just out of spite. Although, I only get to see the good side of the ZF6 in my truck and I like what I see.

Stay warm up there.

Old 12-04-2017, 07:57 PM
andym
Post Fiend
I have never driven a truck with a ZF6, but as a (self-proclaimed) manual transmission driver expert, I am pretty sure I would prefer one over a 4R100. My JW trans shifts like a beast, but I would still prefer to pick my own gears any day of the week.

Edit: my daily driver not too many years ago was an '89 F-150 with a T-18. I'm pretty sure that generation of transmission defines "clunky" and it never bothered me.

Old 12-04-2017, 08:08 PM
00t444e
Cargo Master
Received 424 Likes on 289 Posts
My truck had an auto in it when I first got. I switched to the ZF6 and never looked back.
​​​​​​​Especially when it's a clunky piece of crap like a zf6
What makes ZF6 a piece of crap? It has a 26K gvwr, can handle 700 hp with just a clutch upgrade, has been known to last over 400,000 miles, and can be shifted quicker than the NV4500 and NV5600 in the Cummins trucks. Sure they make a little bit of noise sometimes but that is caused by the pulses from the diesel engine making the gears clatter, it can be quieted down with some thicker oil and a clutch that has better dampening springs like South Bend. Have you ever seen the size of the gears in a ZF6? They are huge for a pickup truck transmission.

Old 12-04-2017, 08:11 PM
andym
Post Fiend
I love a good tranny fight

Quick Reply: Spare the tranny, don't go 80% injectors?