1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

This oil change was a PITA....Simple it was not.

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 07:46 PM
ZachinCO
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
This oil change was a PITA....Simple it was not.

First time I've ever had to go this far to get a filter off...

FoMoCo filter, perhaps I tightened it to much last oil change.
Have a Napa filter now, we'll see how that one goes in 3-4k.

Attached Images  
Old 11-26-2017, 07:54 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
It will happen if one gets overzealous during installation. You know the rule of thumb is 1/4 turn after contact?

Old 11-26-2017, 07:54 PM
JGRNAUT_7.3L
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that looks about how my day went yesterday with my power steering pump. Glad you were able to get it off.

Old 11-26-2017, 07:55 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,853 Posts
I had to do a very similar thing to the filter that was on my truck when I bought it. A few years ago I discovered that K&N was welding 1" nuts to the bottom of their filters and I have been using them ever since on all of my vehicles.

Even the 245K mile 2002 Mercury Sable that just won't die! It is the only car I know of that was hit by a deer. I did NOT hit a deer with the car, the deer hit the car. Nevermind that I was able to swerve at the last split second and the deer hit every panel and body part all the way down the passenger side. So, technically the deer ran into the car... Also, I have not washed it in about 6 years and it is looking mighty fine from sitting under the pine tree when not being driven.

Just sayin...

Glad you were able to get it off after destroying it. There is always that point of no return when dealing with something like this.

Old 11-26-2017, 08:07 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
My 02 always took snugging up with an oil filter wrench to prevent it from dripping. Hand tight never worked.

NAPA sells an oil filter wrench that is used with a ratchet and extension that is about 3" wide and can really grip the filter. When all else fails, that's what I grab as the larger surface area always works.

I gave up on the screwdriver through the filter after I had to help a friend remove the oil filter plate from an 84 camaro after the screwdriver trick, then the pliers and vice grips ended up removing all parts of the filter except the plate that was still screwed in place.

I used to have photos of the oil filter wrench here, but when the got rid of the user galleries and all the photos stored in them, those photos disappeared.

Old 11-26-2017, 08:52 PM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Received 219 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally Posted by F350-6

NAPA sells an oil filter wrench that is used with a ratchet and extension that is about 3" wide and can really grip the filter. When all else fails, that's what I grab as the larger surface area always works.

This is the one I use, both to snug it up and remove it.

Attached Images  
Old 11-27-2017, 12:35 AM
IDI-Charlie
Fleet Mechanic
Received 65 Likes on 20 Posts
Man, that looks like it came off a Detroit! Detroits typically will throw the filters at you or refuse to give em up no matter what.

We have a couple sets of oil filter wrenches with three fingers on em at work that dig into the filter as you turn em, break nearly every time you use em, but they help us avoid what you had to do!

You remember if you prelubed the O-ring last time?

Old 11-27-2017, 01:01 AM
binuya
Fleet Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sometimes, smearing some oil on the gasket is underrated.

Old 11-27-2017, 06:25 AM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
What a mess! Glad to see that you were able to get it off.

This said I've had my truck 10 years now and have always used the Motorcraft FL-1995 filter, I never use a wrench of any sort to tighten, I tighten it as tight as I can by hand only, never any leaks, never a problem to remove, usually have to use a strap wrench to remove but it comes off easily.

Old 11-27-2017, 09:05 AM
ZachinCO
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
It will happen if one gets overzealous during installation. You know the rule of thumb is 1/4 turn after contact?
Always, that is about as far as I can turn it with my wrist these days
Originally Posted by IDI-Charlie
Man, that looks like it came off a Detroit! Detroits typically will throw the filters at you or refuse to give em up no matter what.

We have a couple sets of oil filter wrenches with three fingers on em at work that dig into the filter as you turn em, break nearly every time you use em, but they help us avoid what you had to do!

You remember if you prelubed the O-ring last time?
Yup, I usually do that right after I sharpie the date/mileage on the filter.

Funny, I've owned this truck since it was brand new. I've gone back and forth doing oil changes myself and having them done. First time in 16 years that this has been an issue.

Newest filter got a good amount of Rotella T6 on the O-ring. Hopefully not a repeat in a few months.

Old 11-27-2017, 09:10 AM
ZachinCO
More Turbo
Originally Posted by bigb56
This is the one I use, both to snug it up and remove it.
Thinking I might pick up one like this~
Amazon Amazon

Old 11-27-2017, 09:11 AM
CousinCarl
Laughing Gas
Received 180 Likes on 116 Posts
I read your thread title in Yoda's voice "Simple it was not." Glad the Force was with you to get it off.

I've never had to go that far in getting one off but have used the tool bigb56 posted with success a time or two.

Old 11-27-2017, 10:42 AM
GEugeneS
Laughing Gas
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ZachinCO

Yup, I usually do that right after I sharpie the date/mileage on the filter.

I use a simple Excel "log" to keep track of when I changed the oil and filter. Saves having to crawl under the truck to see. I also log things like antifreeze, trans and other fluids, along with date, mileage and notes. BTW, there are plenty of good Excel knock-offs if you don't want to pay for the app.

Old 11-27-2017, 10:55 AM
CousinCarl
Laughing Gas
Received 180 Likes on 116 Posts
Originally Posted by GEugeneS
I use a simple Excel "log" to keep track of when I changed the oil and filter. Saves having to crawl under the truck to see. I also log things like antifreeze, trans and other fluids, along with date, mileage and notes. BTW, there are plenty of good Excel knock-offs if you don't want to pay for the app.
The free Carfax app is convenient, too with alerts when the service intervals are due next. Also has a record of the work that was done to it with dates/mileage/service location while it was owned by the previous owner. Thanks to it, I know when my ball joints and diff fluid was changed last and what shop did the work. Another piece of reassurance aside from the P.O.'s own records or taking his word for it.

Old 11-27-2017, 01:36 PM
L-ight
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
First time changing my truck's oil I had the same problem. Seemed as if the dealership didn't lube the oring. Had to stab it with a long screwdriver as my oil filter pliers didn't work.

Quick Reply: This oil change was a PITA....Simple it was not.