1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

1985 f250 38 gallon rear fuel tank project

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 08:51 AM
displacement4me
More Turbo

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have that tank sitting in my chassis (since roughly 2010 as some of you know). I can’t recall how I came to it but I figured out a vent valve from a newer Jeep was the same so it cost me like less than $10
because I bought two. I will try finding the spare or looking in my resto log book for a part number tonight.

The following users liked this post:
Old 08-26-2018, 01:09 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,721 Likes on 1,392 Posts
Harbor freight has an assortment for $5

https://www.harborfreight.com/180-pi...set-67582.html

Old 08-26-2018, 08:48 PM
bullnose1985
Laughing Gas
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by displacement4me
I have that tank sitting in my chassis (since roughly 2010 as some of you know). I can’t recall how I came to it but I figured out a vent valve from a newer Jeep was the same so it cost me like less than $10
because I bought two. I will try finding the spare or looking in my resto log book for a part number tonight.

Hi displacement4me, i did some internet diggin and found the "fuel tank vapor vent gromit" parts number F6TZ 9B076-AA. Thanks for your time.

Old 08-26-2018, 09:16 PM
bullnose1985
Laughing Gas

A Fuel tank vapor vent W/ gromit F6TZ 9B076-AA

A Fuel tank vapor vent W/ gromit F6TZ 9B076-AA
Originally Posted by Franklin2
Harbor freight has an assortment for $5

https://www.harborfreight.com/180-pi...set-67582.html
Hi Dave, Hope all is well. I tried but sudden roll of pushing the vent in also drove the gromit into the tank. gromit F6TZ 9B076-AA. Going to call the dealership tomorrow and i may run by there and at the least verifi its the same.
thanks for your time.

Old 08-28-2018, 11:52 PM
bullnose1985
Laughing Gas

38 gallon rear tank degressed and clean. Por15 drying now. Painting the tank in 2 parts above and below the seam of the tank.
First painting the bottom of the tank with 2 coats, then the top 2 coats, then going to hang the tank from one of the holes and a final last coat.
i will get pictures of the tank when done. Also i got the sending unit modification done. I used compression fittings and heavy break line tubing to extend (11" from top plate to the flap valve at the bottom.) the return line were the float is attached too. Also extended (13" from top plate to the pick up.) the fuel pick up. I will get pictures of that too.

Old 08-29-2018, 10:46 AM
bullnose1985
Laughing Gas

Rear view half por'ed15 rear tank

Side view half por'ed15 rear tank

Old 08-29-2018, 10:49 AM
bullnose1985
Laughing Gas

Top modified sending unit Bottom stock sending unit

Old 08-29-2018, 10:12 PM
bullnose1985
Laughing Gas

Well tank is almost done after por15 drys one coat of flat black and the tank will be done.

Old 08-30-2018, 07:30 AM
Olds64
Cargo Master
Received 338 Likes on 290 Posts
Jon, do you plan on doing the fast fill vent mod to the tanks? I've read quite a bit about this recently, but we all like pics and feedback on common mods for our trucks. I think this would be necessary for that 38 gallon tank. Check it out!

https://www.thedieselstop.com/faq/94...ltankvent.php3

Old 08-30-2018, 10:44 AM
bullnose1985
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Olds64
Jon, do you plan on doing the fast fill vent mod to the tanks? I've read quite a bit about this recently, but we all like pics and feedback on common mods for our trucks. I think this would be necessary for that 38 gallon tank. Check it out!

Hi Olds64,

good information!! If i would have know earlier i would have planned to include this filler modification. Thanks for posting. If i have to pull the tank for any reason i will include this modification thanks.

Old 08-30-2018, 08:26 PM
Franklin2

That article is not very impressive, a lot of work for not much gain, he even admits that at the end of the article.

I don't know why he did all that modification to the filler neck and pulled the guts out of it. I did my own mod, and I left the filler neck alone. The main problem is diesel fuel foams so bad. The original filler neck has a pipe within a pipe, one pipe gets rid of the air, the other pipe directs the fuel into the tank from the station pump, the pipe within a pipe is supposed to keep the air separated from the fuel. Diesel foams so bad that is gets up in and clogs the air pipe function if you fill it too fast.

My mod is sort of related to the link, except I did not modify the filler neck in any way. All I did was modify the roll-over valve. I actually took my roll-over valve out. You can take it out, or modify it like he did for more air flow, it's your choice.

I then ran a large hose off the roll-over valve like he did (but without the valve in place, just a elbow fitting in the grommet), but instead of hooking it to the filler neck, I ran it very high up in the cavity between the inside and outside bed area, looped it back down and then put a screen over the end to keep the bugs out. I tied it up with a piece of wire.

What this does is give the air trying to leave the tank another place to get out of the tank. Since a large portion of the air can now leave through the top and the roll-over valve, the foam has more of a tendency to be over there and not in the filler pipe area.

I can say for sure I am pleased with this modification, I can fill much faster. The only thing I have noticed that happens each time I let the diesel fill to the top till the pump nozzle cuts off automatically, I will get a little foam puke out of my new vent hose. Happens each time I do it, no matter what station and how the truck is sitting. It puts a little spot of foam/fuel on the ground, and that's it.

Old 08-31-2018, 08:02 AM
Olds64
Cargo Master
Received 338 Likes on 290 Posts
Thanks for the info Dave. I was actually concerned about Diesel Jim's comment at the end of the article. I dropped one of my tanks recently for restoration and I was considering this mod or one similar.

You mentioned you left your fuel filler neck alone. So, you didn't remove the inner pipe from the filler neck?

Here's another thread about modifying the fuel filler neck.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...solutions.html

Sorry about the hijack.

Old 08-31-2018, 08:47 PM
bullnose1985
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Franklin2
That article is not very impressive, a lot of work for not much gain, he even admits that at the end of the article.

I don't know why he did all that modification to the filler neck and pulled the guts out of it. I did my own mod, and I left the filler neck alone. The main problem is diesel fuel foams so bad. The original filler neck has a pipe within a pipe, one pipe gets rid of the air, the other pipe directs the fuel into the tank from the station pump, the pipe within a pipe is supposed to keep the air separated from the fuel. Diesel foams so bad that is gets up in and clogs the air pipe function if you fill it too fast.

My mod is sort of related to the link, except I did not modify the filler neck in any way. All I did was modify the roll-over valve. I actually took my roll-over valve out. You can take it out, or modify it like he did for more air flow, it's your choice.

I then ran a large hose off the roll-over valve like he did (but without the valve in place, just a elbow fitting in the grommet), but instead of hooking it to the filler neck, I ran it very high up in the cavity between the inside and outside bed area, looped it back down and then put a screen over the end to keep the bugs out. I tied it up with a piece of wire.

What this does is give the air trying to leave the tank another place to get out of the tank. Since a large portion of the air can now leave through the top and the roll-over valve, the foam has more of a tendency to be over there and not in the filler pipe area.

I can say for sure I am pleased with this modification, I can fill much faster. The only thing I have noticed that happens each time I let the diesel fill to the top till the pump nozzle cuts off automatically, I will get a little foam puke out of my new vent hose. Happens each time I do it, no matter what station and how the truck is sitting. It puts a little spot of foam/fuel on the ground, and that's it.
Hi Franklin2,
i think my rear tank was original diesel the tank and the sending unit looked like it was dipped in acid. I am going to stick with the stock fuel fill set up for now. Just to far along for me to turn back. Thanks for the information.

Old 09-01-2018, 07:54 AM
Franklin2
Thanks for the info Dave. I was actually concerned about Diesel Jim's comment at the end of the article. I dropped one of my tanks recently for restoration and I was considering this mod or one similar.

You mentioned you left your fuel filler neck alone. So, you didn't remove the inner pipe from the filler neck?

Here's another thread about modifying the fuel filler neck.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...solutions.html

Sorry about the hijack.
No, left the inner pipe in place. It does have a function, like I said it keeps the fuel separated from all the air trying to come out of the tank. I think a problem he created was to take the modified air pipe from the top of the tank, and plumb it back into the filler. So the extra air he is getting rid of is going right back in to the problem area to create even more foam right at the fill nozzle area. My mod directs the air out of the extra air pipe over in a separated hose outlet. If you wanted to make some sort of small catch can to attach to the end of the hose in my mod, then that would eliminate the spot of diesel fuel you get on the ground if you let it fill to the top.

P.S. I remember also, there is very very little room from the top of the rear tank to the truck bed. When I took the roll-over valve out, I used a copper elbow and short piece of hard copper, the copper elbow fit exactly right into the roll-over grommet. The short piece of copper attached to it brought me over across the top of the tank and then I put the hose and a hose clamp on it. Even this setup is smashed against the bottom of the bed in this area. The front tank has plenty of room though.

Old 09-01-2018, 10:47 AM
bullnose1985
Laughing Gas

More of the same

Por15 below the seam.

Business side

The top

Ol'blue tank squeeky clean.

Sending unit F26D modification

got the tank and skid plate por15'ed used obe pint and had enough left to paint the drop kit. Still had enough left to put a extra coat on either the entire skid plate or another 38 gallon rear fuel tank but didn't.

Quick Reply: 1985 f250 38 gallon rear fuel tank project