quincy 310 compressor unloader problem - Page 3 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > Garage & Workshop
Reload this Page >

quincy 310 compressor unloader problem

Notices
Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion

quincy 310 compressor unloader problem

Old 11-16-2018, 01:13 PM
jniolon
Postmaster
jniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant future
so next to the pneumatic unloader... broke it down and here's what I found

gasket looks decent ...no obvious signs of breaks or leaks (although it could be porous enough to pass air

here;s the other guts

the body of the unloader... should the piston seal surface look this rough ??

other pieces

anyone got a diagram or cross section drawing of this unloader valve ??

john

Old 11-16-2018, 01:31 PM
Brownac1983
Freshman User
Brownac1983 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by jniolon View Post
so next to the pneumatic unloader... broke it down and here's what I found

gasket looks decent ...no obvious signs of breaks or leaks (although it could be porous enough to pass air

anyone got a diagram or cross section drawing of this unloader valve ??

john
This is for a 325, but it should be pretty much the same.
https://manualzz.com/doc/8323519/qui...325-parts-list

Old 11-16-2018, 01:38 PM
jniolon
Postmaster
jniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant future
so ??? see any major problems from my pictures ???? since I can't reliably test diaphram should I just go ahead and replace it ?

Old 11-16-2018, 01:38 PM
Brownac1983
Freshman User
What you need to determine now is where the air is coming from. Put the pneumatic unloader back together and try to blow in the nipple on top. You shouldn't be able to push air through it. If you can, the diaphragm is leaking by.

Old 11-16-2018, 01:39 PM
Brownac1983
Freshman User
so ??? see any major problems from my pictures ???? since I can't reliably test diaphram should I just go ahead and replace it ?
That one has some wear so I'd plan on replacing it soon regardless, but we need to determine if that's the actual problem. Everything else looks pretty normal. Put it back together and see if you can blow air through the nipple on top of the unloader. You shouldn't be able to.

Old 11-16-2018, 02:20 PM
jniolon
Postmaster
is lung power gonna do it... cause you know ??? my compressor is down

Old 11-16-2018, 02:25 PM
Brownac1983
Freshman User
is lung power gonna do it... cause you know ??? my compressor is down
Hahaha... yeah, you're just looking to see if air will pass through one of those cracks in the diaphragm. Sometimes you can't tell by looking.

Old 11-16-2018, 02:54 PM
Brownac1983
Freshman User
Another check, start the compressor while you have that copper tube off of the pneumatic unloader. Hold your thumb over it. You'll feel pressure building. What should happen is, once oil pressure builds (just a few seconds), air should stop coming out of that tube and you should be able to take your thumb off of it and nothing should come out. That's controlled by the hydraulic unloader. If the compressor runs and builds pressure for more than about 30 seconds and there's still air coming out of that tube, we need to go back and look deeper into oil pressure and the hydraulic unloader.

Also, with the tube off of the pneumatic unloader, if air still vents from the pneumatic unloader we need to look deeper into it, it'll be malfunctioning.

Old 11-16-2018, 03:14 PM
jniolon
Postmaster
well, Brown... I've never been one to not admit my shortcomings or failings.... but it is embarrassing. blew on the unloader and no air leaking. So, I put it back on the pump and started it up... still blowing by,,,shut it down and for the hell of it pulled out the dipstick... know where I'm going ???? oil level was at the bottom of the safe (cross hatched mark) limit on the stick. Filled the oil back up to the full mark and restarted.. 10 minutes later and it shut off at 115 psi Don't tell anybody I did this !!!!! Thanks for all your patience and help... now ?? where did the oil go ??? another problem for another day...

thanks again...
John

Old 11-16-2018, 03:51 PM
Brownac1983
Freshman User
No worries, that's what the hydraulic unloader is there for. Glad you got it going.

Hey, one more thing... last time we couldn't find good manuals for your compressor. I checked again and it looks like Quincy has really stepped up their game with the older manuals. Download these.

https://www.revbase.com/TagTeam/clie...ID=2&OrderID=0

https://www.revbase.com/TagTeam/clie...ID=2&OrderID=0

Old 11-16-2018, 04:01 PM
jniolon
Postmaster
it's asking fior an account name and password ??

Old 11-16-2018, 04:16 PM
Brownac1983
Freshman User
it's asking fior an account name and password ??
That's weird. I just emailed the .PDFs to the address on the website in your signature.
-Drew

Old 11-16-2018, 04:41 PM
jniolon
Postmaster
I got them in email... thanks for the books I always like to have a manual on what I'm breaking !!! and thanks again for the help... sometimes you can't fix stupid though

j

Old 11-16-2018, 04:42 PM
Brownac1983
Freshman User
I got them in email... thanks for the books I always like to have a manual on what I'm breaking !!! and thanks again for the help... sometimes you can't fix stupid though

j
No problem, anytime.

Old 11-17-2018, 10:56 AM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.
Good to hear you got her working again.
As for where did the oil go?
I see on mine it has a film all around the compressor pump and top of the tank (stand up tank). Also I know some makes it by the piston rings and into the tank.
I have not seen oil in the water when I drain the tank but I know it is there.
IIRC when looking into mine I found if you had dirty air intake filters it could make it use oil, so check them, I know I have not since I got it running.

Over the weekend I had my compressor running to blow up tires and saw my oil level when running, sight glass, was on the low side of safe also.
I really should change it as I have not done so in some time, just don't know where I put the compressor oil when I moved!
Dave ----

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: quincy 310 compressor unloader problem

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.