1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front End Noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 05:17 PM
Rob89
More Turbo
Received 106 Likes on 62 Posts
Front End Noise

I've done some searching and there seems to be several threads on this however I don't see any solutions to the problem. I have this rubbing noise in my front end. It sounds like the lid to a garbage can being dragged on asphalt. It sounds like it is coming from the drivers side and it only happens in 2 instances- the first being when going over uneven pavement such as turning off a main road over a sidewalk into a parking lot and the second being when I start moving from a dead stop when going forward on an incline or in reverse on a decline. In the first scenario it happens for a split second as I go over the uneven pavement and then it's gone. In the second scenario it happens for 1 to 2 seconds as the wheels start rolling and is gone. It happens with traction control on and off. Truck does not have hill start assist and is a 16 F-250 ccsb 4x4 6.2. Truck has 20k miles and front U Joints were greased at 15k.

I've read of several people having this issue however I couldn't find any answers. Does anybody know what this is and how to fix it?

Old 11-23-2017, 05:46 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 993 Likes on 763 Posts
I have the same issue.

I thought it was brakes rubbing or a slider problem so I changed rotors and pads and lubed up slider....problem remained.

then I thought it was a shock problem ...perhaps too long or too short...changed those out...problem remained.

I then thought it was contamination in the brake lines cuasing inner pads to rub...flushed all lines on all wheels and resivoir.........problem remained.

by happenstance I added some lubeguard power steering protectant/conditioner to my power steer resivor and the problem reduced dramatically. added a second bottle and the problem is almost gone..very little noise.

BUT...I think the lubeguard additive is just masking the problem....so final fix could be the power steering pump or the power steering box....im inclided to think its the pump....but we will see.

I also added an inline power steering filter (a motorcraft transmission filter ) in line to see if there were any particles cuasing the rumble...no change with the filter.

so my thoughts are the pump or the box.

if I change the box, going with a stock one...the oem one lasted 91K miles so no need to spend tripple the money for high end boxes.

let me know if you come up with any additional info.

Old 11-23-2017, 07:13 PM
Rob89
More Turbo
Originally Posted by speakerfritz
I have the same issue.

I thought it was brakes rubbing or a slider problem so I changed rotors and pads and lubed up slider....problem remained.

then I thought it was a shock problem ...perhaps too long or too short...changed those out...problem remained.

I then thought it was contamination in the brake lines cuasing inner pads to rub...flushed all lines on all wheels and resivoir.........problem remained.

by happenstance I added some lubeguard power steering protectant/conditioner to my power steer resivor and the problem reduced dramatically. added a second bottle and the problem is almost gone..very little noise.

BUT...I think the lubeguard additive is just masking the problem....so final fix could be the power steering pump or the power steering box....im inclided to think its the pump....but we will see.

I also added an inline power steering filter (a motorcraft transmission filter ) in line to see if there were any particles cuasing the rumble...no change with the filter.

so my thoughts are the pump or the box.

if I change the box, going with a stock one...the oem one lasted 91K miles so no need to spend tripple the money for high end boxes.

let me know if you come up with any additional info.
Thanks for the info. Interesting...I never considered it may be a steering problem..

Old 11-23-2017, 09:09 PM
geekwithoutacause
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
perhaps your power steering pump ? Flush powersteering fluid.

Old 11-24-2017, 04:41 AM
seville009
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Double check all of your heat shields and muffler hangers, all of the way back. Tighten what you can. They can be just the slightest bit loose and cause noises only in certain situations.

Old 11-24-2017, 06:56 AM
Rob89
More Turbo
I think this weekend I will park the truck in a position where I know the noise will happen and have my wife sit behind the wheel and create the noise while I am looking underneath.

Old 11-24-2017, 09:46 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
turn steering to both extremes....changing rpm's

Old 11-24-2017, 09:48 AM
geekwithoutacause
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by speakerfritz
turn steering to both extremes....changing rpm's
hearing noise when the steering is at its end of travel is normal.

Old 11-24-2017, 05:08 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Originally Posted by geekwithoutacause
hearing noise when the steering is at its end of travel is normal.
The niose in question sounds like a plastic trash can lid being slid on the street open side down.

Very low tone rumble

not was he normal power steering eeechy eeechy sound

Old 11-27-2017, 07:48 PM
Lawnpro979
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just wondering if it has the auto lock hubs?

if so i noticed mine while in auto one side was clicking and making some noise....i took it off and greased it...

hope this helps

Old 11-27-2017, 08:23 PM
Rob89
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Lawnpro979
Just wondering if it has the auto lock hubs?

if so i noticed mine while in auto one side was clicking and making some noise....i took it off and greased it...

hope this helps
Yes I have the auto locking hubs.

Old 11-27-2017, 08:48 PM
Lawnpro979
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
May want to try that....i jacked mine up spun the wheel a few times....like others i thought it was a break making noise. And it wouldn’t make it all the time......i moved the steering wheel to the left, spun tire, to the right, and then pulled the auto lock, then spun tire and noise went away.....so i greased her up.....no more noise

hope this helps

Old 11-27-2017, 09:01 PM
geekwithoutacause
Laughing Gas
Same with mine. It made a slight grinding noise. When I did the ball joints I greased the hubs and checked the bearings. all good now.

Old 11-27-2017, 09:25 PM
Rob89
More Turbo
Originally Posted by geekwithoutacause
Same with mine. It made a slight grinding noise. When I did the ball joints I greased the hubs and checked the bearings. all good now.
How do I grease the hubs?

Old 11-27-2017, 09:29 PM
geekwithoutacause
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Rob89
How do I grease the hubs?
The outside bearing can be greased thru the abs hole on top of the hub.
The inside bearing can only be greased by taking off the hub. You'll see the bearing.

Quick Reply: Front End Noise